Reaction score
Matbrown said:
Why would you need to buy two lots of kits?
He's saying get the belts changed at a garage as most people don't have the facilities to do this themselves, then buy all the other parts needed for a service and do it yourself.

This.

Some epic levels of stupidity in this thread lol.

#-o

Reaction score
Slightly more back on topic. John is asking £8,800 on this forum. As of four days ago, possibly the same car, was put on PH for £9,000. The description is nearly exactly the same, so is the mileage, so is the name John as the advertiser.

The more observant of you will note that the link posted by MatBrown to an old PH advert' shows a car with 200 fewer miles and priced at £8,250. Reg LV55GBY. Should the cars be one and the same, perhaps this is why John is happy to sell his example for £9,000, rather than the £10,000 some feel it should be worth. Given some feel it's worth £10,000, perhaps one could argue that at £8,800 the lack of clarity on belts being done is factored in at this price point; philosophically of course, because if a buyer is reading this forum they could now know the approximate price John paid for it, if it's the same car.

For what it's worth I'm in the camp that would not be concerned about the belts. Buy it and take it out the clutches of Renault Croydon for the belts to be done by someone sensible at Rentech or JMS. As for the dampers, they only need refurbishing if necessary, they're not a routine service item. In my opinion dampers eventually give out on all cars and they're replacement/refurbishment needs to be taken on a case by case example.

The rarity of a Trophy with such low mileage makes it immediately attractive to certain buyers. It is also likely to attract the type of buyer looking to cover a low annual mileage. A second car for someone, a company car owner who wants a toy, someone that lives somewhere they use public transport to commute to work etc. If the mileage is genuine road and not track work it should be a lovely car without a mark. Question is, would one want to add to the mileage or keep it at the 'collection' piece level.

John, good luck with the sale. If I was looking for one I'd have it off you.

Reaction score
Some of us on here have had Trophy's with less than 5000 miles on the clock.
That still does not detract from the fact that this one is 6 years old.
I buy my cars to use them & as such I can see no 'extra' value in this one.
Rather a 30K model & use it :D

Reaction score
I personally feel most of the questions are relevant, a car with "full service history" should have had a cambelt change by now, seeing as it is vital component.
If the seller had just been clear and said "yes/no the cambelt has/hasn't been changed" then it would have ended the debate long ago.

Reaction score
Cambelt/aux belt/de-phaser - £600 @ JMS, etc.
Major service (parts only) - £150 then fit yourself, its not hard
Damper refurb (Gould Engineering) - £200 again, takes 30 mins a side max to remove/refit.
[/quote]

He listed the belts in the line above![/quote]

Yeah but he didn't list it in the cost for the major service parts.[/quote]

Why would you need to buy two lots of kits?
He's saying get the belts changed at a garage as most people don't have the facilities to do this themselves, then buy all the other parts needed for a service and do it yourself.[/quote]

Sorry that's clear now