is1

Reaction score
blueseidboy said:
is1 said:
As for the cambelt and refresh, I know this needs to be done but I repeat the point about who this car is targeted at - someone who may be willing to pay a bit on top for the cambelt/refresh to get an effectvely new Trophy for 60% of the new price.

Don't assume low miles = essentially new, could have been someones track day toy for 5 years for all we know, equally could be a nice example!

I agree but that's a different debate. I am starting with the premise that you take the advert at face value and then view the car and owner (possibly speak to Croydon Renault!). A 5,000-miler should have its original PE2s, shouldn't be peppered with chips, very little corrosion on the dampers, clean seat belts etc.
However, asking whether a car apparently as part of a "collection" with 5,000 miles on it has had its dampers done seems a little OTT. Especially as some existing Trophy owners seem to be asking the questions (do they want a second one?).
I'm not having a go at anyone but I assume we want to see as many Trophys registered on the forum.
Trust me, when the right buyer comes along, it should sell in no time.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
All valid points but remember this guy has come on here to sell his car full stop, for free. There are some on here who spend time and effort trying to help others on here so can ask what they like :) the fact is he has been asked simple questions and despite several replys has not really answered them. Yes or no, its not difficult.

Reaction score
Personally, if it genuinely has 5k miles on it, id quite happily buy it if i wanted a prime example to cherish.

Who cares if it needs a service & the belts doing lol.

Cambelt/aux belt/de-phaser - £600 @ JMS, etc.
Major service (parts only) - £150 then fit yourself, its not hard
Damper refurb (Gould Engineering) - £200 again, takes 30 mins a side max to remove/refit.

So for under £9k, you get a Trophy with 5k miles on it, quite possibly in immaculate condition.

I dont see what the problem is?

Reaction score
No problem at all! - I'd probably buy it if I was in the market for one, but as Hoolio said, if someone asks a question, which they are entitled to do, then a simple answer is normally no problem....

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
Personally, if it genuinely has 5k miles on it, id quite happily buy it if i wanted a prime example to cherish.

Damper refurb (Gould Engineering) - £200 again, takes 30 mins a side max to remove/refit.

So for under £9k, you get a Trophy with 5k miles on it, quite possibly in immaculate condition.

I dont see what the problem is?

Major service parts if they are genuine Renault parts cost alot more than £150. Mine came out of the garage yesterday and the invoice was quite painful

Reaction score
If i was looking for a trophy just now like i was last summer id be wanting to view this one.belts or dampers not being done wouldnt put me off at all.as long as it was in mint condition and having that low mileage id buy it and get the things that need done myself.

Reaction score
Robh18 said:
Major service parts if they are genuine Renault parts cost alot more than £150. Mine came out of the garage yesterday and the invoice was quite painful

My apologies, I did it the other day, cost £151:

4 x NGK PFR6E-10 Spark Plugs - £30 eBay
6 x litres of Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Fully Synethic & Renault Oil Filter - £45 Opie / Renault
5 x litres Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 - £50 Opie
1 x litre Castrol Response Super Dot 4 - £8 Opie
1 x Fuel Filter - £8 eBay
1 x Pollen Filter - £10 eBay

Didnt need to do the air filter as i have a V6 airbox with an ITG.

:wink:

Reaction score
Im actually waiting for the punchline when some of you have said "have the dampers been done?" and what is with the bitchy nature in which most replies were posted, think some of ya need to chill out and stop taking yourselves so seriousely! and the paranoia is mind blowing, just because it has very low mileage with some people insinuating that these might not be genuine is stupid! if your interested then you go and view the car in the same fashion as any other, if its not the same as described then fair enough but i don't see why it shoulden't be

Reaction score
The car has probably not even been out in the winter so I doubt the dampers need attention. This car is probably as good as a standard trophy gets in my opinion. Have a look and check the records if your interested in buying. Everyone knows the deal with cambelts and dampers by now. My bike has done 8000 miles in 5 years and it's amazing every time I get on it. It's not wasting away in the garage and it's run regularly. I hope it goes to someone who will enjoy it though.
Questions are helpful but some peoples attitudes on here are an embarrassment to the rest of us sometimes.

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
Robh18 said:

My apologies, I did it the other day, cost £151:

4 x NGK PFR6E-10 Spark Plugs - £30 eBay
6 x litres of Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Fully Synethic & Renault Oil Filter - £45 Opie / Renault
5 x litres Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 - £50 Opie
1 x litre Castrol Response Super Dot 4 - £8 Opie
1 x Fuel Filter - £8 eBay
1 x Pollen Filter - £10 eBay

Didnt need to do the air filter as i have a V6 airbox with an ITG.

:wink:

that's excluding timing kit and aux kit which alone cost over £300

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
Sir_Dave said:

He listed the belts in the line above!

Reaction score
Luke335 said:
The car has probably not even been out in the winter so I doubt the dampers need attention. This car is probably as good as a standard trophy gets in my opinion. Have a look and check the records if your interested in buying. Everyone knows the deal with cambelts and dampers by now. My bike has done 8000 miles in 5 years and it's amazing every time I get on it. It's not wasting away in the garage and it's run regularly. I hope it goes to someone who will enjoy it though.
Questions are helpful but some peoples attitudes on here are an embarrassment to the rest of us sometimes.

=D>

Reaction score
Friendly and supportive lot on here...

Good luck with the sale John,

Reaction score
marrow said:
Luke335 said:

=D>

I agree.

I find it hard to believe any questions that have been asked are genuine.

Fair enough the OP has only found the site when he's looking to sell it but, I bought mine from a advert on this forum from a guy who only joined to sell it and from doing so he's added added another number to the register and since then the forum has been used buy the next three owners of that car including me.

I'd like to see this thread deleted as it's gone way off topic, this is exactly why car sales threads on the CS forum are all locked now and all enquires are done via PM's.

Just my opinion of course.

Reaction score
Deleted! I, personally, don't agree with any form of censorship!; (and the car is still for sale and might be just right for someone) but I agree with you, in so far as this has gone way off topic.

Reaction score
Matbrown said:
Sir_Dave said:

Yeah but he didn't list it in the cost for the major service parts.

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
Deleted! I, personally, don't agree with any form of censorship!; (and the car is still for sale and might be just right for someone) but I agree with you, in so far as this has gone way off topic.

I deleted it myself to be honest. I was purely trying to help the guy out by asking a few questions that may help the post appeal to more people straight out. Yes i own my own T but i have been on this forum for years and see the kind of questions the seller was bound to get asked, so by getting them added in earlt it is saving lots of additional posts answering questions that could easily be answered. And although i have one Trophy, maybe i was asking because there is enough room on my drive for a second one!

My second post may have been a hasty response when none of the questions were answered hence the deletion.

All i can say is good luck with the sale.

Reaction score
Totally with you on this W. All questions are valid! - an early answer would have kept the thread clean... Any opinion on whether or not refurbs or services are needed are purely subjective - only the purchaser can decide. If it's a good one, hope the owner shows up on here.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
Robh18 said:
Matbrown said:
Sir_Dave said:

Yeah but he didn't list it in the cost for the major service parts.

Why would you need to buy two lots of kits?
He's saying get the belts changed at a garage as most people don't have the facilities to do this themselves, then buy all the other parts needed for a service and do it yourself.