Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
SteveC said:
RIGHT UPDATE

We may have a little issue, I have PM Jeremy to confirm what issues we may have with the copyright laws for theT Trophy. He has said that it will casue problems but he is putting me in contact with one of the guys that deals with all aspects.

Will keep you informed.

Steve :(

here we go, expect Reno to get involved - they'll organise it and then sell them for a £30 profit margin as they know they've got a captive audience.

I don't know copyright law that well but surely the owner of a car can get a replica of that car made up without the manufacturers approval..... it's not like we're going to sell them on to the open market. :?

Reaction score
Cue I fully understand where your coming from, the main issue is that the Renault Brand as a whole (including the Renault font and badges) are a trademark and any reproduction of this has to be approved by the legal owner.

This is done so as to keep the value of the trademark (Clio Sport and Clio Trophy forums are very lucky that the brand manager himself is actually a member of both, and I am sure that in both cases permission was granted to use the logos)

The other issue that I have had first hand expereince with is down to Profit. I work for a company that supplys aftermarket styling and performance parts, mainly for the Ford, BMW and Vauxhall market. Ford have on numerous occasions asked us to remove any images showing the Ford badge and the whole car, as it means that we are making a profit on items sold, and they arent making there cut of the profits. It is a very grey area, and this is why I am having to go down the correct avenue, so as not to get caught out at a later date.

After speaking to the model manufactures they have aslo advised me that before any models are made they need a letter from the car manufacture to confirm that they are happy for them to reproduce the model using any logos.

Even as the owner of the car, we have no right to publically advertise or make a profit on the Renault branding, and if Renault were to inforce this more strictly as Ford do, they have every right to ask us to delete any images showing a model which looks as if to de value the brand, Such as the number of Modded cars with bodykits on them, or crashed cars which show a fault, or issue with the way in which the car is designed.

I could write a whole essay on Copyright and Trademark laws and issues, but as you are already asleep by know I wont :lol:

On another note I have sent the email to the guy at Renault who is responsible for the model side of things, and as soon as I have recieved a reply I will update you all

Reaction score
Cool guys all possible sales have been noted, yet to get an email back from Renault but I dont really expect anything less :lol:

Oh and Welcome Super Bob, just noticed you have only 2 posts. :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
Looks like you've been doing great work on this SteveC, you can definitely add my name to your 'list' if you're keeping one.

Reaction score
Right quick update for you all. I have just had a email back from the guy I have been dealing with, he has given me the following details

"Can you give me more information as to what you require exactly in terms of:

-Colour (one run of 200 = one colour)
-LHD/RHD

What is required in terms of personalisation? Personalisation is one plaque and one engraving for the entire run. I cannot personalise each individual minaiture to that individual on the production run.

If I were to do a run of 200 that was personalised to "e.g the cliotrophy forum", I'd expect you to buy them all from me.

If I commision a 200 run, unpersonalised then you aren't under this obligation, I would put them under part number. We can look at getting them personalised post order for you maybe?"

So then Guys basically we have two options the first being 200 made specifically for the Trophy Forum, with a plaque on each model. Or a run of 200 which would be sold through Renault and could then be customised at a later date.

Give me some ideas, I will need to get back to him in a couple of days. I will find out waht sort of money we will be talking about.

Reaction score
Right so far totting up the figures I have a possible 38 models that have possible names against them.

Come on guys keep it coming/ :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Clearly although there are a lot of potential orders here how many would translate to firm money in the post "yesses"? nowhere near the 200 methinks so I think it'll have to be a post run customised model.