Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else get treated like a total tw*t whilst driving their trophy?
On numerous occasions i have been driving the trophy well within the speed limit and have been abused by pedestrians, to whom it must appear i'm travelling much faster than i actually am.
It happened again this evening, whilst enjoying a relaxing drive in the country, i exited a nice left hander at a modest 55mph (in a national speed limit area i might add!!) spotted the dog walkers 150 yards up the road on my side, moved over the white line onto the other side of the road to give them space whilst passing, and the male dog walker f**king freaked, i might as well have been doing a ton!!!.
I do not feel that my driving style has changed since i have got the trophy, but i do definately feel as though i get treated differently when driving it.
I drive my golf Tdi as enthusiastically as the Trophy as i did my 330 Beemer before, yet my driving style in either of these cars have ever generated a whiff of negativity, yet the little red rocket seems to get right under peoples skin, why is this?
I'm sure that when people see the car, they are immediatley expecting to see some spotty, hoodie wearing, spliffed out tw*t, behind the wheel.
Rather than a late twenties professional, who enjoys the finer things in life.
It bugs me so much that i'm seriously considering getting rid to buy something more socially acceptable, like an M3.

Reaction score
I got called a w*nker by a dog walker... so I blipped the throttle and dropped a gear (without speeding up). Childish I know, but it made my day knowing that it will have driven into a fit of irrational rage :lol:

Seriously though, I do think a bright red hot hatch seems to attract a little more attention than my previous cars...

hyb

Reaction score
I think its a perspective thing. I never had a problem on the same route everyday with my bmw 3 series, yet when I had the scooby or S2000 i'd get old people waving there sticks at me to slow down, yet I was doing the same speed every time. I gave up in the end and used to give them a barrage of exhaust and dump valve noise

Reaction score
bryntech said:
Is it just me or does anyone else get treated like a total tw*t whilst driving their trophy?
On numerous occasions i have been driving the trophy well within the speed limit and have been abused by pedestrians, to whom it must appear i'm travelling much faster than i actually am.
It happened again this evening, whilst enjoying a relaxing drive in the country, i exited a nice left hander at a modest 55mph (in a national speed limit area i might add!!) spotted the dog walkers 150 yards up the road on my side, moved over the white line onto the other side of the road to give them space whilst passing, and the male dog walker f**king freaked, i might as well have been doing a ton!!!.
I do not feel that my driving style has changed since i have got the trophy, but i do definately feel as though i get treated differently when driving it.
I drive my golf Tdi as enthusiastically as the Trophy as i did my 330 Beemer before, yet my driving style in either of these cars have ever generated a whiff of negativity, yet the little red rocket seems to get right under peoples skin, why is this?
I'm sure that when people see the car, they are immediatley expecting to see some spotty, hoodie wearing, spliffed out tw*t, behind the wheel.
Rather than a late twenties professional, who enjoys the finer things in life.
It bugs me so much that i'm seriously considering getting rid to buy something more socially acceptable, like an M3.

Absolutely classic post!

I get exactly the same thing, I drive quite spiritedly most of the time but l, like everyone else I use my car for everyday things occasionally and when driving around like an old lady with a boot full of furniture I get some filthy looks off people. I think I don't notice people's reactions to the car when I'm going for it. It comes from their general opinion of people who drive (what is intheir unlearned opinion) this sort of car, lots will wake them up every morning with their dustbin exhaust and then tear around their street in the middle of the night inviting more friends in other 60bhp 120dB Nova's.

I drive on a crappy stretch of road called the C7 at the moment on my way to and from work and sometimes get stuck behind someone doing 40-45 the whole way (it's a 6 mile stretch of de-restricted road) I always slow for the villages here, and this is where the twat in the 4x4 ploughs through at his automaton speed of 45. I catch up with them pretty soon and see my opportunity to overtake, it takes all of a second or two to despatch them and head safely off into the horizon but they take serious offence to this and feel within their rights to sound their horn and flash!

The lost art of overtaking? It's obviously more important to drive on autopilot these days and become part of a 40mph train where you can imagine all the cars being towed by the first Behemoth. I know for a fact that I'm more switched on to my surroundings and able to stop in half the distance than someone driving slower in their zombie like state in a huge lumbering poorly serviced Chelsea tractor. But, us driving enthusiasts are always going to get penalised for enjoying the roads, because to have fun on a public highway is to misuse it in the eyes of the average brain dead commuter.

Reaction score
i have to say I haven't really noticed it at all...maybe because i live in croydon where I think we have more novas and corsas with holes in their exhausts per square mile than anywhere else in the country.

but when people do look at me as i drive past i realise its most probably because I have a simota induction kit and a yozzasport exhaust and decat :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Now i like to think that most of the time I'm the perfect gent whilst I'm driving so when this kind of thing does happen i take perverse pleasure in the fact that i am irritating them and then try to really stir them. A really good one is slowing down to 15/20 mph in front of any person who takes exception to the fact that they've just been passed, is a sure fire way to maximum (swear) . You then leave them in your dust.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing i come across is people sitting right up your arse... They must see the 2 exhausts and then the RenaultSport badge and feel they must prove something :roll:

Reaction score
I agree with Renaultsport, the 'two second rule' seems to be a mystery to most people. I'm sure these people use 'the force' to drive, I wish I shared their faith. Renault Meganes can be a pain, they don't like hot Clio's. I used to get a lot of hassle when I had the Impreza, the huge exhaust and dump valve didn't help. All this from a forty something professional!

Reaction score
Renaultsport said:
The only thing i come across is people sitting right up your arse... They must see the 2 exhausts and then the RenaultSport badge and feel they must prove something :roll:

I get this all the time. The other thing is people seeing a red blip approaching in their rear view mirror and then slow down, or cut you off on a roundabout as they are expecting you to blip past them.

I am getting incredibly frustrated by drivers who give you abuse when you overtake them because they have intentionally slowed down, then accelerate and ride your bumper (swear)

Reaction score
Cars are evil didn't you know. :twisted:

I don't think it’s just the Trophy - just the way society is going.

I had this bloke the other week deliberately walk into the road waving his arms in front of me to make a point. Not sure why as I wasn't caining it at all?????

His actions made me mad, I wanted to stop turn round and punch the f_cker - but thought better of it.

Reaction score
I'll never forget the time this complete tool in a modified Impreza STI was glued to my bumper when I was driving home through the town centre, He pulled up alongside me at the traffic lights and was looking over and revving his engine, I held the revs at about 4000 just before I knew the lights were about to change and when they turned amber, I did nothing - He did a tarmac rally launch straight into the approaching corner having reached about 80mph in the 6 seconds from the lights, when I rounded the corner I saw him pulled up on the side of the road, three cop cars with lights flashing were doing spot checks in the lay-by and this one angry copper was running across the road, shouting his head off. I found it appropriate to indicate correctly to overtake him and gave him a smile as I passed.

Max

Reaction score
These posts are all spot on, it has become socially unacceptable to drive spiritedly and overtake.

People shouldn't judge other people's driving ability by their own.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Overtaking and being flashed by the car your overtaking does get on my jugs. Also when they feel the need to speed up after you have overtaken and wave their hands in the air...

They should ban all cars from the road unless you have a RS clio!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I must admit that i did used to get this - now, either i've given up bothering or the fact that a couple of times I stopped, reversed, got out of the car and asked what they were gestating about, tended to shut them up, I think they think you're an unskilled hoolum (did I really just use that word?) when they see a 'hot red hatch' when you actually talk to them they don't have anything to say....

one time I was actually approaching my car in a car park when an old geezer took offence to this 'supped up boy racer' when I turned around (wearing a FCUK teeshirt) he just said 'what's the world coming to' I just replied with something like 'my tax & NI for this year has paid for the NHS treatment and pension for about 30 of you, I could be driving a 4wd through your village, which would you prefer, a small hatchback or a range rover?" he sort of shut up then.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Cue said:
I must admit that i did used to get this - now, either i've given up bothering or the fact that a couple of times I stopped, reversed, got out of the car and asked what they were gestating about, tended to shut them up, I think they think you're an unskilled hoolum (did I really just use that word?) when they see a 'hot red hatch' when you actually talk to them they don't have anything to say....

one time I was actually approaching my car in a car park when an old geezer took offence to this 'supped up boy racer' when I turned around (wearing a FCUK teeshirt) he just said 'what's the world coming to' I just replied with something like 'my tax & NI for this year has paid for the NHS treatment and pension for about 30 of you, I could be driving a 4wd through your village, which would you prefer, a small hatchback or a range rover?" he sort of shut up then.

Moaning OAPs 0

Trophy owners 1

:lol:

Attachments

• n193106002_8174.jpg
    n193106002_8174.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 874
Reaction score
Steve said:
I'll never forget the time this complete tool in a modified Impreza STI was glued to my bumper when I was driving home through the town centre, He pulled up alongside me at the traffic lights and was looking over and revving his engine, I held the revs at about 4000 just before I knew the lights were about to change and when they turned amber, I did nothing - He did a tarmac rally launch straight into the approaching corner having reached about 80mph in the 6 seconds from the lights, when I rounded the corner I saw him pulled up on the side of the road, three cop cars with lights flashing were doing spot checks in the lay-by and this one angry copper was running across the road, shouting his head off. I found it appropriate to indicate correctly to overtake him and gave him a smile as I passed.

A winner is you. I too take a childish delight encouraging people to go pissing through speed cameras.

Reaction score
But why are STI drivers always fat ugly nob-heads? I hate to generalise but seriously,this one is true, Next time you see someone in a Blue STI, have a look, they'll be balding, a bit lardy and have a face like a pugs arse.

We're all capable of stereotyping it seems.

Reaction score
Portland said:
A winner is you. I too take a childish delight encouraging people to go pissing through speed cameras.

PSML. :D :D

Did this to a Focus TDCi not so long back.

Got him upto 80, hanging of my bumper in the outside lane and pulled in, he shot past and the camera he accellarated past got a lovely shot of his plate as I slowed to 60.

I bet he cursed the day he followed me :D :lol:

Reaction score
Steve said:

that is brillant....... serves the t**t right!!!