Reaction score
oliie said:
Financial school boy error #2: You've eluded to the fact that a plate is a better investment than an exhaust or any other modification. I've already been offered almost double what I paid for my plate, plus it will help sell the car with all other cars being equal.

Having bought my car with the plate T23 PHY already on it (thanks Matty), i can agree that given the choice of two cars that I had, i opted for the one with the plate attached as a nice little extra. Both cars I could have thought were almost identical mileage, similar price too. The plate swung the deal - perhaps thats just the poser in me :wink:

Reaction score
"Good point, well raised" as Partridge would say.

A tasteful private plate is most definitely a better investment than an after-market exhaust which is only likely to reduce your potential buyers (people who would rather try a standard one first).

Also, many owners who love their Trophy's (all but you, pete g, it would seem) think the car is deserving of a bit of personalisation as there is so little you would want to change about the car.

Reaction score
Hey guys,because of this thread i've just bought T25 PHY..... Not many left. Any ideas for number plate designs. i.e. Borders,pictures,colours etc. :D

Reaction score
Sorry boys....

If you wanted an investment you could buy shares or old clocks, I thought site was about CTs and driving them.
I might not 'love' my CT as much as some blinkered types but I was out competeing in it on Sat against Pergeots and Golf GTIs, not polishing my No Plate!

For the drivers out there, do you think the car quicker with ESP on or off?

Reaction score
pete g said:
Sorry boys....

If you wanted an investment you could buy shares or old clocks, I thought site was about CTs and driving them.
I might not 'love' my CT as much as some blinkered types but I was out competeing in it on Sat against Pergeots and Golf GTIs, not polishing my No Plate!

How did you fare? The non-chipped GTI's shouldn't have been a problem but a track set-up 205 is hard to beat, they weigh less than 800kgs and most have the MI16 unit putting out over 180bhp with throttle bodies.

I was polishing my plate yesterday! Preparing it to spray on some safe-plate, bought it at GFOS, completely 100% legal and it works against all flash safety cameras.

Ok driver - ESP on. Excellent driver (Rain Man) - ESP off.

Clocks might be a better investment but not nearly as much fun in the roundabouts.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
pete g said:
Sorry boys....

I certainly wasn't out polishing my plate at the weekend:

IMG_2078.jpg

Just because we have private plates, doesn't mean we dont drive them. In fact i'm sure my car has done more miles on track than most.

Reaction score
Nice one Nik, and we all know it's just a tiny bit faster in the corners with that plate. :lol:

Reaction score
Steve,
I reckon your girlfriend knows her stuff!
I got closer to others than I thought pos in std car, I forgot to mention the 220hp highly modified C Williams. Old GTIs dont have chips... Pembrey nice track, Senna liked it, so good enough for me!
I was only running CT because Elise feeling sick.
ESP best off I think but need track day to play more.
Sorry bit off topic Ollie, I'm bit new as you can tell but it certainly made thread more interesting, I wont interupt anymore and you can get back to the Nos!

Reaction score
pete g said:
Steve,
I reckon your girlfriend knows her stuff!
I got closer to others than I thought pos in std car, I forgot to mention the 220hp highly modified C Williams. Old GTIs dont have chips... Pembrey nice track, Senna liked it, so good enough for me!
I was only running CT because Elise feeling sick.
ESP best off I think but need track day to play more.
Sorry bit off topic Ollie, I'm bit new as you can tell but it certainly made thread more interesting, I wont interupt anymore and you can get back to the Nos!

Yeh, she knows enough, took her to Goodwood for her Birthday, she liked a lot of the old racing cars and her favourite car was the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione concept in the supercar paddock - good taste I thought.

Regarding the chipping, I was referring to the MK V Golf GTI's as I thought that's what you were competing against, you can chip 205 GTI's, I nearly did mine but it's not worth it as it just messes up the fuelling and doesn't give much performance gain.

Good work to see off a Clio Williams, especially one with 220 bhp, no offense but it must have been driven by an old lady as in a recent track event, the Willy's destroyed everything in their class (and outside of it).

Sorry to hear you only track your Trophy as a last resort, I suppose if you're used to hooning around in a mid-engined track biased sports car, throwing a FWD hatch around must seem a bit silly. I would get an Exige one day but I wouldn't fit, I tried to get in an Elise once and almost couldn't get out again! I am 6'7" though.

EDIT - (offtopic) shitshitshit. Erm...number plates, yeh, they're good, I'm going to get one after the more important mods like a ITG panel filter and a wiper stalk.

Attachments

• HaynesResultsJuly2006.jpg
    HaynesResultsJuly2006.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,307
Reaction score
Cheers Steve,
Just for the record, I did not say I beat the 220hp Williams.
He won the class.
No one sprints late GTis, too heavy/slow.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The guys in the Williams were a bit more comitted i have to say. After 2 crashes I was a bit reluctant to push mine too much harder in the afternoon.

The guy in the Starlet is just a nutter. Very, very rapid little car that.

Reaction score
That's what I thought, but some Starlets I've seen on the road are bloody quick, they weigh fook all and have forced induction so don't hang about. Uglier than John Merrick's Passport photo though.

My favourite is the 1:10.45 from the 1.4 Clio! As quick as the top cars on their first few laps. Probably got the underpinnings from a written-off cup racer.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
stevegunnis said:
My favourite is the 1:10.45 from the 1.4 Clio! As quick as the top cars on their first few laps. Probably got the underpinnings from a written-off cup racer.

Nope, just another psycho at the wheel :p His name is Saner, but he's often called 'Insaner' for this very reason.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
LOL

Maybe I should rename the thread to T** PHY to open it up to a wider audience