Reaction score
Hi All

I am trying to become a proper member by getting hold of a Trophy and Ive got a few options.

There is one with 68k for £3800 timing belt done at 48k and another with less miles 40k for £5500.. Which would you go for if condition is not much different.. Not seen either but looking for advice on which one to pursue..

Thanks

Reaction score
Timing belts isn't the only important thing to look out for on these cars IMO. Has either of them had the Sachs refurbished? Also mileage isn't really an issue with RS Clio's as long as they've been maintained.

Reaction score
Timing belts isn't the only important thing to look out for on these cars IMO. Has either of them had the Sachs refurbished? Also mileage isn't really an issue with RS Clio's as long as they've been maintained.

Yes I think they both have.. If mileage isnt an issue then maybe the cheaper one maybe the best option as I won't be afraid to drive it lol..

Reaction score
Check service history. Belts/Dephaser, Dampers, Mods? Any spares with either car? Anything missing (i.e Dampers/Seats)

Types of tyres (tread etc, brand)

When it says timing belt, did that include aux belt, water pump, etc etc. If it was me for the right money make sure everything has been taken into consideration.

Reaction score
Check service history. Belts/Dephaser, Dampers, Mods? Any spares with either car? Anything missing (i.e Dampers/Seats)

When it says timing belt, did that include aux belt, water pump, etc etc. If it was me for the right money make sure everything has been taken into consideration.

Dephaser & waterpump aren't a must to be changed unless faulty. Timing belt kit and aux belt kit change is the main thing to look out for as you say.

Reaction score

Excellent, thanks for the advice chaps.. Pity no one has put a checklist together.. Maybe Ill use this info and do one..

Reaction score
Dephaser & waterpump aren't a must to be changed unless faulty. Timing belt kit and aux belt kit change is the main thing to look out for as you say.

Dephaser and waterpump are not essential but it is worth taking into consideration. Puts the potential for big bills further into the future!

Reaction score
Dephaser and waterpump are not essential but it is worth taking into consideration. Puts the potential for big bills further into the future!

Lots of bills are a must then, Im sure ill know a good one when I see it..

Reaction score
Checklist please add or delete as appropriate, whats a dephaser? #Clueless
Price
Mileage
FSH
Receipts for Timing and Auxilary Belts, Dephaser, Water Pump, Sachs Refurbed, Matching Branded Tyres,

Reaction score
Basically changing a waterpump / dephaser on a 182 is a full belts off job. So sometimes it is good future proofing for people to get it done when they change belts. Otherwise 6 months down the line when a dephaser starts rattling they have to do the whole job all over again.

Obviously the higher mileage the more at risk, but it does seem to vary. Looking on ClioSport some dephasers have lasted 130K others just 20K. Lottery really, many people do it just for piece of mind. At the end of the day depends what the owner feels like!

Dephaser has something to do with the VVT iirc....!

Reaction score
Nice, just watched 182 cup topgear review imagine the trophy is even quicker.. Its become a must have.. Imagine one with ITB's..

I laughed quite hard watching JC review the 182, I know in the end he says its good for the cost etc but he does destroy the build quality :)

Reaction score
Basically changing a waterpump / dephaser on a 182 is a full belts off job. So sometimes it is good future proofing for people to get it done when they change belts. Otherwise 6 months down the line when a dephaser starts rattling they have to do the whole job all over again.

Obviously the higher mileage the more at risk, but it does seem to vary. Looking on ClioSport some dephasers have lasted 130K others just 20K. Lottery really, many people do it just for piece of mind. At the end of the day depends what the owner feels like!

Dephaser has something to do with the VVT iirc....!

As I am useless with mechanics, I would opt to do everything rather than pay in the future.. Good Advice thanks

Reaction score
I laughed quite hard watching JC review the 182, I know in the end he says its good for the cost etc but he does destroy the build quality :)

Yes he wasn't a fan was he, that being said paper thin carpet and the like is what makes the power to weight ratio so impressive.. I think lol

pol

Reaction score
same as before, buy the best you can. at the lower end of the market expect problems and unloved bodywork. bottom end of the market might be best for a track car but if your not going to do things yourself and parts are in poor condition = it will cost you more to get it fixed.

Reaction score
I will suggest that first you search a good reputed car care shop because i am also going for my vehicle to top class garage where they have experienced staff.

Reaction score
I will suggest that first you search a good reputed car care shop because i am also going for my vehicle to top class garage where they have experienced staff.

Not too worried about buying from a garage.. usually cheaper to buy private but maybe not in this case.. they seem to sell fo forrecourt prices without warranty so I understand your reasoning.