MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
This is the second time my car has done this over the last week.
Its never done it before and i am not sure if its an engine problem or an alarm/immob problem.

Once the car has been started and driven i have no issues with turning it off and leaving it and starting it again but this is now the second morning this has happened.

Its rather hard to explain so here is a video of the french pile of $hit in action playing up.

​Please can anyone advise / help me out as to why this is doing this ?

[video=youtube;mPQ3fpFQNTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQ3fpFQNTo[/video]

Reaction score
I once had a similar fault on a normal Clio which turned out to be the battery in the key not being strong enough to switch the immobiliser off! It was intermittent for a while then wouldn't start the car at all, might be worth trying.

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Try waiting for the red led in the centre on the display to go out before cranking.

How i start mine,unlock and get in ,turn on ignition,put on seat belt(this is enough time for the immob light to go out),crank and start.

Works every time,also how old is your battery? as it needs at least 9v+ to start ?

Reaction score
I once had a similar fault on a normal Clio which turned out to be the battery in the key not being strong enough to switch the immobiliser off! It was intermittent for a while then wouldn't start the car at all, might be worth trying.

Sounds stupid but this is probably the case. Use your other key, it shouldn't do it!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Changed key battery's, Car battery and i have still had the problem and then the TDC sensor was mentioned on cliosport.

Today i set about sorting it untill i can buy a new one.

TDC01.gif

TDC02.gif

TDC03.gif

TDC04.gif

TDC05.gif

Reaction score
check the TDC sensor resistance to tell if its that.

Should be about 220 ohms if i recall correctly.

let me know.

Cleaning it wont do jack really. but it makes you feel better lol.

Reaction score
I bet u 50quid that its ur ground strap. Run a earth from the battery to ur engine block and watch it start. Mine did it other day. Dnt let it get to bad or it arms the immobiliser

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the TDC and it has not done it since.

Im going to be buying a new TDC sensor along with the large earth strap thats sits at the passenger front arch on the gear box

Reaction score
Make sure you get the connector that goes to the TDC sensor as well,its often a connection problem rather than a component failure.

By removing it and making and breaking the connection you may have inadvertently found the cause.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They should come as a pair these days, Part No's sensor-R82 00 647 554 £23.64+VAT
Loom- R82 00 673 202 £22.99+VAT

Prices from a while back.

Reaction score
Having EXACTLY the same problem as your video with my Trophy - and it only happens on a morning when leaving for work... Rest of time it seems fine Someone suggested turn on, let it prime, turn off then turn on, let it prime, then start... which does seem to work. Others have said it can be the fuel pump relay... so I'll take this out and clean contacts up too to be safe but pretty sure I can hear the pump whenever I turn the key so I don't think that's it... hence the TDC.

How long did it take you to get the sensor out / clean up? Take it I need to get the airbox out of the way? Is that just the two jubilee clips on the hose and then some torx / bolts on the box and it lifts out?

Sorry for the questions - I'll try get this done tonight anyway! :)

SoS

Reaction score
Mine did a similar thing yesterday, first time using it for 3 weeks, started fine, went to the bank, started OK, then went to the petrol station and just cranked over and over. It was getting to the point where I was going to push it away from the pump when I tried it again and it fired right up. No problems since!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just changed the battery in mine after having a similar issue and it's resolved no problem. If the red light in the middle goes out, then the immobiliser is disengaged.

Did think to look at the TDC sensor but mine wouldn't even get the dash lights to switch on.

I'd guess most are still on their original batteries - after 8 yrs it'll be worth keeping an eye on them as they are fairly small for a 2ltr engine. With mine not being regularly driven i guess this aided to its demise :(