BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Solid top mounts are going to be fitted to my car shortly.

Im going for the KTR Solid Top Mounts which look very similar to the Compbrake ones.
Those of you with Compbrake top mounts fitted I want to know whether you have experienced any movement in the mounts resulting in geometry changes, Due to them being clamped to the turrent and not bolted through it like the Mark Fish ones.

Over and out.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think there more expensive than the KTR and Compbrake ones.
In which case id rather go for the Mark Fish ones tbh.

After my dampers have been re fitted along with the rear Koni's and STM's im going to get a full goemetry setup, with a few changes to Camber and toe settings, which is going to cost about £100.

I dont want to find out the STM's have moved and caused the geometry to change. Waste of £100 then.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben it was something that I was concerned about as the mount is smaller than the hole but it didn't seem to phase mark and the mounts were marked in position so I could keep an eye on them and there has been no movement.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
£100? who's doing it - maclaren?

Give this lot a call, they'll travel to you also. Cost me around £50 from memory for multiple set-ups - i 100% recommend them.

Business Name : Stuart Tams Ltd Click For More Detail
Address : 27 Newton Court Outwood Wakefield WF1 3DW
Telephone No. : 07957 498883
Fax No. :
Email :
Opening Hours : Flexible to suit you.
Rating : 10 Out Of 10

i've not had any movement in mine but the lower cost does lead me to believe they won't last as long but you get what you pay for, ast's are market leaders.

Reaction score
BenG

The MF ones are the best but not cheap.

Have a look on cliosport as there are a few threads in the suspension forums that will give you some ideas.

Reaction score
BenG said:
Ive been looking around for a while for a good place to get the geometry setup properly.
I was recommended this place:
http://www.revolution247.com/4-wheel-al ... 441-0.html

Ill give Stuart Tams a try Cue but will it cost me much to call them out to South Lakes?

I never though of going to Revolution, is only about 15 mins from me, think i will take it there and get it sorted once and for all :D

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Mark Fish ones. Does anyone know which ones he uses? Are they made by him? For some reason I have a figure of £300 in my head. Is this true? Any pics of his?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
only problem with them is the turrets need drilling, better, more quality but to return to standard is neh on impossible without tell tail signs.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That was THE main reason i went for the Combrake ones.

Oh, that and the fact they are three times more expensive for a mod i wasn't sure about.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine are noisy, but i love em.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The steering becomes more sharper, You can feel the road alot more. A must imo when you have race suspension fitted as standard, it makes sense. It brings it all together.
I love mine but the ride is alot harsher and they make alot of noise.

Reaction score
Thanks, but by just re-enforcing the damper? And why do they make a noise sorry?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They stop flex. for example, If you open your bonnet then rock the front end you will notice the top mounts flex, they will flex alot more under heavy cornering. Solid top mounts dont flex resulting in a sharper steering response, also with them not being rubber they dont remove any feel from the steering.

They make clunking noises over uneven road surfaces as you are literally clamping a metal top mount to a metal turrent so they become noisy + there is more road noise also.

Reaction score
I hate to spoil the party, but the deflection of a rubber top mount in Trophy type suspension will translate to less than1/3 degree. A solid top mount will certainly feel more harsh, which could easily be confused with being more precise. Would only do it if running race springs (5 x stiffer than road) and slicks, when the loads are much higher. Certainly when running soft track tyres I did not notice a problem.

Reaction score
I plan on getting much stiffer springs in the future anyway. Probably 400Lb ish. Mark fish is going to sort me out :mrgreen:
I want helper springs etc if poss. Anyone used these before?