Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My front right shock is abit bouncy so think I might need a refurb soon, so planning on taking both the front sachs off and selling them. The other two are amazing, however my brother got the back left SACHs replaced with a standard shock. So I have 3 of the sachs left. Was planning on selling them for £300 is anyone is interested? However I am saving up for coilovers.

Can I buy standard shocks from KTEC for the car just now until I have the money for the coilovers?

Cheers guys

PS - If you want to contact me my number is 07500873889.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
? are you crazy?

The rear dampers are better than standard items - but are not adjustable. The front's are fully adjustable motorsport dampers as run by BTCC teams like Seat etc and brand new are £1400+ EACH. Why not just get them refurb'd?

Also you won't be able to put standard 182 dampers on the Trophy.... #-o

Reaction score
^^ This

do yourself a favour and get the sachs refurbed and a replacement set of rear sachs shocks, itll cost about the same as coilovers and a perfectly good Trophy won't get ruined.

Reaction score
So many things came into my mind, but im not going to say anything nasty ...

Simply refurb the front dampers, & buy a pair of proper Trophy dampers for the back.

Will cost you about £650 all in. Which is roughly what you will pay for an average set of coilovers.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the honesty and quick replys!

I am new to Renault so be gentle! Lol

I understand they are expensive, but i dont really know what i am doing in regards to this!

I called K-Tec and they advised me I can put the standard shocks on the Trophy, 60mils?

Had an offer for £300, What am I best doing guys really need the assistance or where to get stuff, goof garages in scotland and stuff!

Thanks for the help again!

Jordan

Reaction score
As Dave said, get them refurbed and get some more Trophy/sachs rear shocks, be about the same as a cheapy set of coilovers and just as good!!

As for selling them for £300 im not surprised someones made you an offer, i think replacement sachs dampers are well over £1000 each iirc, not to sure!

Reaction score
As for getting them refurbed contact BG Motorsport at Silverstone, you can post them the dampers OR drop the car off and have them remove and refit for a bit extra, but i think if youre in scotland itd probably pay to post them!

Reaction score
You have to be mad to sell the sachs dampers, get them refurbished they wont take long around a week in all with delivery to BG Motorsport, I looked into coilovers for the Trophy a while back before doing my refurb and all i can say is im glad i stuck with a refurb there 10 times better.

Unless your Trophy is to be used on track only and not road use then go coilover and make sure there a decent set such as AST's, if however its to be used on road then refurb front dampers, fit either mark fish or eibach sportline springs and get a decent set of rear dampers don't mix and match or your get uneven bounce and rebound.

Always do everything damper and spring wise in pairs.

As for price of new Sachs dampers from renault i believe there in the region of £1500 each, a Trophy without the sachs dampers is worth very little money from what iv seen and is hard to sell there is one thats been on pistonheads with H&R coilovers fitted and i must have seen it last year and its still on there for sale now from memory.

Reaction score
I can only mirror what has been said before, don't remove the Sachs front dampers, but can maybe increase your knowledge as to why.

At one time any suspension that had the coil (spring) sat around the dampers was called a coil-over, hence the rear of the Clio is not a coil-over as standard as the spring sitseparatete from the damper.

Though I accept what has height adjustable platform suspension has become known as coil-overs.

The reason why the front dampers are so good is because of a couple of reasons, one is a mono tube damper which is much better than a twin-tube damper which most if not all lower end dampers are, and by lower end it could be anything upto £800 before you get some decent mono-tube dampers. And to further cement this is has a remote reservoir, therefore that the damper rod can be thicker, meaning that the damper has much more control and doesn't flex under heavy braking or cornering giving much better control.

Further to this the springs are progressive and therefore you can have good ride comfort, and it firms up when you push on.

Most coil-over suspension are supplied with the universal size 2.5" (iirc) fixed rate spring, meaning you only get one level, it has to be firm to work at all when pushing on, but the trade off is you can experience crashiness, and poor ride comfort. You can make up combined springs to get in effect progressive, but it can get expensive.

So unless you're looking at £2K plus ohlins remote reservoir coil-over dampers you are unlithey to get teh same all round good set up. I've been in a Lancia integrale EVO with ohlins that cost approx £3000 and the ride on the road was better than OEM, yet on track was blow your mind amazing.

Suspension is not as simple as many think, it's a bit of a black art, in fact one suspension company call themselves blackartdesigns just to prove the point.

Reaction score
Ok ok!! Right so... I will need to replace them with something cheap to be able to drive the car aroind, can I put standard shocks on if I do this? If I send them
Away for refurb what is the best option?

Thanks

Jordan

Reaction score
Hi luke,

What do you mean by non-cupped pal?

Is the spacing60mm?

Thanks

Jordan

Reaction score
Yes bolt spacing is 60mm and any Clio 182 fitted with the Cup pack will have the 60mm bolt spacing.

As previously stated give BG Motorsports a call or an email, mine cost a few months back now i think £600 and that was with working adjusters fitted. Link for BG is bellow, i think it was Ben who deals with the Trophy dampers from memory.

http://www.bgmotorsports.co.uk/