Reaction score
Hi all

Ive just recently fitted a cat-back RS192 and ever since the engine doesnt run properly when cold. At 1000-2000 revs when gently accelerating i.e. 10-20% throttle it pops and farts and doesnt want to go at all, but when the revs get up to 3ishk and above it springs back into life. this continues in every gear until the temp guage reaches the middle after which all becomes normal again. Also i have to admit the car doesnt feel quite so lively after fitting the exhaust although this is marginal. A far cry from the power figues quoted on the website! (although i secretly didnt expect much anyway)

Hope fully someone can point me in the right direction???

Ive been meaning to post my findings on the exhaust, Im very happy with the looks of it, it makes the standard exhaust look like a double barrel pea shooter! The noise? well its very restrained, although i do find it a touch on the boomy side on the motorway and the GF tends to moan if she has a headache, but then thats just women I suppose. I found fitting to be a bitch- and thats using a car lift, right up in the air. It took an awful lot of swearing to get it right. It also arrived with two lovely dents in the backbox aswell. However all in all not too bad exept for the power issue.

Sorry to ramble again :roll:

Dave

Reaction score
:( I was going to order one on saturday, maybe i should go for janspeed instead?

Have you contacted scorpion, or the guys who deal with the exhaust for the 182, yates and someone?

Reaction score
Ah I was going to but I couldn't be arsed to be honest - i'd already waited three weeks for it, i wasnt going to wait for them to send out another one. Also the exhaust goes under the car and i knew id just forget about the dents anyway. life's too short an all that.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi mate, sorry to hear about the problem.

Have you checked for leaks, is it blowing. Popping and farting is a sign that its not sealed properly. If it is sealed properly you could be looking at an engine management problem. Maybe the 1st O2 sensor (the one on the manifold) was damaged in the fitting process but that it unlikely seeing as though you dont even go near it when fitting the exhaust.

When the engine is cold check for water leaking from anywhere along the whole system.

Reaction score
i would say its not sealed properly tbh mate. Mines been perfect as has yours Ben?

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a leak. Did you use any Fire gum type product or sealant on all the joins of the exhaust?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah mine has been spot on. Not once has it sounded farty and there is no popping even with the de cat fitted.
It may be the pipes that are not welded correctly from factory, I gave mine a good coat of looking at before I fitted it.

Reaction score
Ha Ha well i followed jonc's fitting guide and i offered the exhaust up to the car and trial fitted it without sealant, but it seemed such a pain just getting it there and it seemed to fit quite tightly so decided to clamp the bugger up and give it a go. Maybe there could be a small leak. But surely this wouldnt cause a disruption to the smoothness of the engine would it? I was worried the only way could be a remap....

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
When I fitted mine first time I didnt use any sealant, if you can get away without any its always best. Naturally it didnt seal properly so I ended up using it. But, even though it didnt seal properly there was no popping/farting and it still sounded ok, it was only a small leak at the join.

I would say you either have a bigger leak at the join or there is a hole in the exhaust where it has not been welded properly.

This thread may be of some interest to you...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=331701&highlight=RS192&page=7

Reaction score
Ages ago, mine started doing the same, only when cold but only when going up hill. Ended up treating it as a perk of the car, until one day i started it, and it was running on 3 cylinders. My renault tech friend, diagnosed it as a coil pack and kindly supplied and fitted one and it never did it again!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tbh my first thought was that this was a coincidence and that there was a problem elsewhere unfortunately.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The fact that it only does it when cold does suggest its engine related. were not talking about the usual roughness on cold starts are we ? where the engine is rough and less responsive when first started ?

Reaction score
Well my feeling is that it's engine related too. I could understand the exhaust being at fault if it is badly leaking and farting and blowing but it's not anything like that.
Another point worth mentioning is the very lumpy idle. It has been lumpy since i have owned it but it seems much more noticable since the exhaust has been fitted. A few peeps on here have said similar i know but this is a shuddering, inconsistent, vibrating, 800ish rpm idle that just really iritates. Ive read that some remaps raise the idle slightly to improve this which sounds tempting.
The thing is it doesnt seem like a rhythmic missfire as in a faulty coil, it just has this spot in the rev-range that feels completely flat.

Im getting it laser aligned at elite in essex tomorow so i will try to check the sensors on the cat and leakage around the exhaust too.

Thanks very much for the suggestions so far, any more ideas??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is such a long shot but a littlewhile back I thought mine was being really sluggish, hadn't used it a great deal and only for short trips. Went to the Essex meet and gave it a massive blow out. A long trip followed by some short fast stuff. Like I said long shot and not very hi tech but it worked.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh dear that^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds really naff in the cold light of day but it did work.

Reaction score
Sorry boys I havent had a look at it yet, been a bit busy. I will update asap!

Any other ideas are welcome in the meantime tho! 8)

Reaction score
Well harvest has nearly finished so ive been able to work on this problem. I have taken the exhaust apart and sealed all joints with firegum. I looked like there was a very small leak coming from one of the joints. However the problem has persisted and nothing has changed :( Im going to get a service, aux belt and mot soon and maybe the garage will be able to run a diagnostic on the engine to see if anything is amiss. It isnt really a major problem, it is just the perfectionist coming out in me i guess. My feelings are that if the engine isn't running right when cold there is a fair chance it isnt running completely right when warm either....