Reaction score

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
EBC pads are generally not that great, although the Red's are better than the greenstuff's. I'd go with Ferodo ds2500's and OEM disks personally.

Reaction score
hi
thank you for your suggestion.

I bought this kit disc genuine by renault second hand but new, never used. the old owner has recived it with the pads EBC suggested by http://www.reichhard-motorsport.com/, also or the pads are good with last model of clios, or http://www.reichhard-motorsport.com/ delivered the wrong pads model.

my question is if the pads for the following veichles are anyway good for the trophy

RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.4 (ABS): 92-96
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.7 (ABS): 92-96
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.8: 88-92
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.8: 92-96
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.8 16v: 91-92
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.8 16v: 92-96
RENAULT 19/Chamade 1.9 D (ABS): 92-97
RENAULT Clio 1.2: 98-2005
RENAULT Clio 1.4: 98-2005
RENAULT Clio 1.6: 98-2002
RENAULT Clio 1.6: 98-2002
RENAULT Clio 1.8: 92-98
RENAULT Clio 1.8 16v: 92-97
RENAULT Clio 2.0 16v: 93-96
RENAULT Clio 1.9 D: 90-98
RENAULT Clio 1.9 D: 92-98
RENAULT Clio 1.9 D: 98-2001
RENAULT Megane 1.6: 99-2002
RENAULT Megane 1.8: 2000-2002
RENAULT Megane 2.0 16v: 96-99
RENAULT Megane 2.0 16v: 99-2002
RENAULT Megane 1.9 TD: 96-99
RENAULT Megane Scenic 1.6: 96-99
RENAULT Megane Scenic 2.0: 96-99
RENAULT Megane Scenic 2.0 16v: 96-99
RENAULT Safrane 3.0 Quadra: 92-96

thanks
Luca

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
when you say "are good for" I assume you mean do they fit? if so then no - i don't think any of them fit the 182's callipers.

Reaction score
Yes sorry
I mean it is possibile fit it on the clio.

The pads I have are the EBC Ultimax, alos I think they are a standard pads like the genuine ones.

I will check, is the better way :D

tanky
bye

Reaction score
I have EBC red stuff fitted all round on the Trophy, much better than the original Reno ones, easy to fit, only had a slight squeak on the front when braking for about 1 week, now its gone, they are also lasting very well, done approx 16k and they still have loads left on them.
The only down side i have found with them is they dont work very well when they are cold, normally takes a few junction to brake at before they feel like they are working, obviously they do work when cold just takes a min or so to get them working properly. Once warmed up i find them very good, especially braking hard, dont seem to fade at all.
Thats just my opinion, thing i will try Ferodo ds2500's next as alot of people recommend them, got to say though the red stuff's havent let me down.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
scott said:
I have EBC red stuff fitted all round on the Trophy, much better than the original Reno ones, easy to fit, only had a slight squeak on the front when braking for about 1 week, now its gone, they are also lasting very well, done approx 16k and they still have loads left on them.
The only down side i have found with them is they dont work very well when they are cold, normally takes a few junction to brake at before they feel like they are working, obviously they do work when cold just takes a min or so to get them working properly. Once warmed up i find them very good, especially braking hard, dont seem to fade at all.
Thats just my opinion, thing i will try Ferodo ds2500's next as alot of people recommend them, got to say though the red stuff's havent let me down.
...interesting as I'd say exactly the opposite. The EBC Red Stuffs were cr@p and in a shocking state after they were took off the other week. They had disintegrated (well, the rears had!) and they hadn't even been subject to hard punishment! To give you some idea...

20090325_04.jpg

20090325_05.jpg

The pad had disintegrated away from the base plate and one side (as seen above) had parted company with the base plate. They literally came off the car in this state. With the Ferrodo DS2500's fitted (temporarily with standard discs all round) the improvement is orders of magnitude better. 8)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sssshhhhhhhhhh, they've just started sponsoring the forum :? :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
:lol: Well maybe they'd be happy to reimburse both my partner (Salem) and I as she had *exactly* the same problems with the same setup on her Type-R. Not good. [-X

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My brakes are absolutely pants when its raining, Im under the impression thats because the water is cooling the brakes quicker. Im running Mintex 1155's and Brembo max disks.

Anyone else have this isssue ?

Reaction score
SharkyUK said:
hoolio said:
:lol: Well maybe they'd be happy to reimburse both my partner (Salem) and I as she had *exactly* the same problems with the same setup on her Type-R. Not good. [-X

Strange that they have fell to bits, my fronts and rears still look new, last time i had my wheels off, (about 2 months ago), i cleaned the calipers, arches and dampers, also checked the pads and they were fine. Will have to keep a eye on them.
What disks do you have on? I just have standards front and rear.
Possibly a dodgy batch of pads or fitted incorrectly??

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sharky - What on earth happened to them pads :eek: I would complain and demand a refund thats not right at all. How old were they ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
SharkyUK said:
hoolio said:

They actually speak for themselves, i would be be pretty "animated" if they were mine. How long/many miles had they been on for?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey guys... to answer the above questions ^^^

The pads were bought as part of a 'recommended package buy' (a deal that I see running on many sites still today). The deal included EBC RedStuff pads and CRN grooved performance discs (all round). Both Salem and I went for the same setup, albeit with the slight difference for our respective cars such as the disc size, etc.

When taken off it was not only the pads that were knackered but the discs too. Below are the front discs off my Trophy, one of which had warped. *sigh* Sadly I don't have pictures of the rears which had worn down to such an extent that you couldn't really see the grooves (same on both the T and the EP3).

20090325_06.jpg

20090325_07.jpg

(Ignore the fact Renault packaging is pictured as I have *no* issues with the stock Renault items!)

A few things to bear in mind... the brakes and discs have been on mine a little longer than on Salem's EP3, the dates I can't remember exactly but it's roughly 1 year ago from what I recall of the service schedules. My Trophy is used everyday but 'normally' for going to/from work, with the odd blast at a weekend. Salem's EP3 is a weekend only car (not a track car) but gets driven hard time to time. I've done approximately 14-15k miles (which sounds a fair bit) but considering how 'tamely' the Trophy has been driven the brakes should not have been in the state pictured. The brakes on Salem's EP3 have seen about 10k miles and she's not a driver who naturally relies on heavy braking when enjoying her spirited drives. The bizarre thing is that it was the REAR's that were in far worse state than the fronts and considering how little they are utilised in terms of bias is worrying. (They were fitted correctly by a recognised mechanic, also a good friend, who has dealt with far more exotic items than our humble Trophy and EP3... so no problem there I can be sure).

Faulty batch? Maybe... hard to know. I do know that (certainly in Type-R circles) the RedStuff's don't seem held in particularly high regard. To be fair to Salem she was never happy with the brakes from day one whereas I found the performance on this setup on the T to be fair once sufficiently heated. Back on OEM discs for the time being with DS2500's and the improvement is, as stated, significantly better.

I'm not slating the RedStuff but our experience of them has not been good so I'd advise looking elsewhere. Thanks for reading and safe driving. Don't EVER underesitmate the important of decent brakes! :D