SPV

Reaction score
Can only speak from my experience but mine is nice and bright! Keep on top of maintenance, Polish and Wax and i hope never to have a fade problem. Plus Trophy's are only just 4.5 years old, so shouldn't have paint trouble yet, right?

People have commented that red is a bitch for fading though...only time will tell.... (I guess this was no use at all)...

Reaction score
My Corsa was over 10 years old before the roof started showng signs of fade.

And that was with hand polishing and it was a red Vauxhall. :lol:

Reaction score
cheers for the replys boys, It was just a question i thought i would ask caus i heard red does fade more than other colours, I polish and wax mine every month so hopefully should be ok for years to come, thanks again,
phillip :D

Reaction score
Red cars used to fade a lot because of the oxidised paint but I've not really seen any newer red cars looking pink like they used to because the paints now have the clearcoat. It certainly shouldn't be fading after 3-4 years.

Reaction score
shouldnt be polishing and waxing every month, if the polish is an abrasive type you will be doing more damage than good.

useing a quality polish every 3 months minimum myself, and waxed with 2-3 coats of a quality carnaubra wax should suffice, inbetween polishes, just wash the car (not with a sponge!) and using the 2 bucket method, then use a 'quick detailer' to buff to a shine. The paint will then return to its last polish+wax appeareance.

hope i'm not telling people to suck eggs here.

go here for brilliant how to's on detailing.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Reaction score
The wax is the important bit, once polished just keep topping up the wax.

Only ever polished mine in the spring rest of the time a good wax was used.

If your lazy Collinites think it's 746 in the tin is perfect :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
red does oxidise the most, due to the pigments reaction to ultraviolet sunlight or something like that... Mines still bright red, but it's been permagarded since new.

Reaction score
I must be retarded but i thought polish was wax?? :? :?

So are you saying that you should polish once a year (ie AG super resin polish), and then wax every month etc.

My father used to be a london fireman and he told me about their stories of polishing the engines constantly, and has always drilled into me the benefits of polishing regularly. Now he's an old boy and im sure technology and procedures have come on a bit but now polishing is bad? Is it something to do with these modern paints? :?

What wax would you recommend for someone thats a bit new to all this detailing lark?

Reaction score
Polish tends to be abrasive and therefore has cleaning properties for the paint.

Wax purely provides protection.

If your not in to "detailing" or an OCD sufferer then you most likely wouldn't know.

There are a lot of polishes that contain waxes which perhaps most peopel who shop at Halfrauds would use, there's nothing wrong with them, but there is a whole new level when useing separate products.

Dodo Juice orange crush is a good wax for protecting the Trophy.

PS i that your 30 series? Autotrac?

Reaction score
I've got a 2005 182 Cup in Racing Blue that came from the factory with the Gordini stripes (or else Renault Australia fitted them???) Anyway, I removed them a couple of months back and there is an ever so slight darker section of paint on the bonnet where they were fitted. The roof and hatch do not seen to have the same problem.

I bought it at 10mths old and it is mostly garaged and not left outside (except for 2-3 times a week when I drive it to work.) Perhaps the previous owner used to park it under his carport with the bonnet copping a bit more sun than the rest of the body? I don't know.

Paint fade could certainly be an issue long term.

Reaction score
Polish tends to be abrasive and therefore has cleaning properties for the paint.

Wax purely provides protection.

If your not in to "detailing" or an OCD sufferer then you most likely wouldn't know.

There are a lot of polishes that contain waxes which perhaps most peopel who shop at Halfrauds would use, there's nothing wrong with them, but there is a whole new level when useing separate products.

Dodo Juice orange crush is a good wax for protecting the Trophy.

I'm interested in detailing but i dont really have the time for it! However i need to try this waxing lark for sure, hopefully it might make the farm dust wash off a bit easier!
I will give the Dodo juice a bash. Is AG SRP ok as a polish beforehand?

PS i that your 30 series? Autotrac?
Yeh it sure is, 6930 autopowr + autotrac. You obviously know your JDs! 8)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Srp is clearly a polish but it is fairly mild and I think of it as a cleaner/filler but its still not something I would use on a regular basis and in your case tractor it will strip off the wax you took 2 hours to apply. So srp to clean the paintwork then several layers of wax a day or so apart then another layer of wax every month.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive just spent 7 hours detailing my Trophy over 2 days.

Once it was clean I give it 2 layers of AG Super Resin Polish, I then sealed it with AG Extra Gloss Protection and then a layer of AG High Definition Wax.

This was the first time I used wax and have to admit I am well pleased with the results.

Im pretty new to detailing and im unsure on how to go about cleaning it from now on. Am I right in saying I can still use snow foam and my AG Bodywork Shampoo without stripping the wax (If I use the recommended amounts and use the wash mitt with minimum pressure?). Then after the paint is clean I can just add more wax ?

:)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah Ben, you're lost now.

I could be wrong here but I think you are wasting your energy putting two "layers" of srp on as its a polish, it will cut through anything underneath. Two layers of egp would be better. But the rest you describe is fine as long as you use the recommended dilutions and you will find that bugs and stuff wash off wax much easier anyway.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Im not lost, I was never found ! :wink:

Oh well I nearly got it right. 2 layers of egp would take ages... as if 7 hours isnt enough. :roll:

As for removing bugs and stuff, there are a bunch of kids I would like to run over who keep skateboarding next to my car,Bloody kickflippin and all that lot ! You think the evidence will be easy to remove :evil:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Re: Paint Fader

Yeah, quick squirt of detailing spray and they'd wipe right off :)

Reaction score
So srp to clean the paintwork then several layers of wax a day
I read that slowly and thought omg how much time do you think that would take :lol:

Ok ill have to get some wax now. It could be the answer to my prayers. After polishing my cars previously ive found that the finish only tends to last a few weeks and then im back to square one again. A pretty fruitless task and probably the reason i dont do it enough. Now i know why.

What is this 'detailing spray' you speak of??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:lol: Not even I'm that sad, sorry, posting by phone has got me lazy with my grammar and it's difficult to go back and check before posting.
As i said to R, it's all about the preperation even an expensive wax will look poor on crap paintwork, if you use the car often then i'd suggest a sealant of some description between the SRP and wax stages as it will give the paintwork some protection as wax does wear off if you don't keep topping it up, though i think several coats a day is a little OTT :wink: