Reaction score
Well eventually I have gotten round to fitting my new Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 tyres to go alongside the K-Tec exhaust and induction kit already fitted.

So on Thursday I am paying a visit to Dan at 519 Automotive to sort suspension and brakes.

On the list is a set of Spax RSX fully adjustable coilovers , Pagid front discs and Mintex M1155 pads , Braided hoses and super blue brake fluid as well as a set of OEM rear pads too.

And then I have my first trackday of 2013 next Tuesday at Snetterton and my first one in the Clio.

Cant wait:)

Reaction score
Funny you seemed to like them on Cliosport Dave but were put off by there cheapness...........

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion about stuff and have you actually tested the Spax or are you yet again making assumptions without any grounds for them?

People on here as getting as bitchy on here as they are on Cliosport which there is no need for IMHO.

Reaction score
i guess to settle the argument neil could try a track day with out changing suspension, and then swap over to the spax and see if its any better

Reaction score
Funny you seemed to like them on Cliosport Dave but were put off by there cheapness...........

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion about stuff and have you actually tested the Spax or are you yet again making assumptions without any grounds for them?

People on here as getting as bitchy on here as they are on Cliosport which there is no need for IMHO.

I thought the post was quite funny actually. You are the one that seems to be bitching.

Reaction score

Yup, i did like the idea of them, but as you say, was very much put off by their cheapness, they do have a reputation for being rather budget (except on ClioSport of course). I have however used their stuff before on other cars and always found it a little hard tbh. Changing from PSX to Bilstein Grp N on my Saxo was a monumental improvement in damping ability for example. Alas i have not driven on the Spax, so am basing opinion that barring AST's, the Sachs are pretty much the best setup you can get for the 1*2 imho, easily equal to Bilstein/H&R which i have also owned/driven extensively on track.

I simply cannot comprehend how a £650 setup (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/344891/renault/spax-rsx-coilovers/rsx123.html) is as good as something that retails for 3 times that.

I'm assuming its Matt Wills hiding behind the different username, hope you're well :up:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the benefit of the coilovers being height adjustable though, so if you're solely doing trackdays, you can tinker with the corner weights. The fronts have camber adjustment built in too I'm led to believe?

Reaction score
Yup, i did like the idea of them, but as you say, was very much put off by their cheapness, they do have a reputation for being rather budget (except on ClioSport of course). I have however used their stuff before on other cars and always found it a little hard tbh. Changing from PSX to Bilstein Grp N on my Saxo was a monumental improvement in damping ability for example. Alas i have not driven on the Spax, so am basing opinion that barring AST's, the Sachs are pretty much the best setup you can get for the 1*2 imho, easily equal to Bilstein/H&R which i have also owned/driven extensively on track.

I simply cannot comprehend how a £650 setup (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/344891/renault/spax-rsx-coilovers/rsx123.html) is as good as something that retails for 3 times that.

I'm assuming its Matt Wills hiding behind the different username, hope you're well :up:

Hi Dave not hiding just changed my username as for some reason I couldn't get my old one back after the business was wound up.

As you've said once before I think it is hard to come across correctly online and as you say Spax may well not be up to the standard of the Sachs but I'd be interested to see how good they are in comparison.

Sorry if I came across as being bitchy that was not my intention its just the original poster was clearly well chuffed with his upgrades and we are all entitled to modifying our cars although other people might not approve of what we do.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding and Dan at 519 is a legend and an excellent mechanic he rebuilt my engine when he was working with JMS and its been strong as hell since then :)

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing how the suspension setup compares to the Sachs. I've been wondering about this setup for a while - before Cornering Force came along.
How are the AD08's? When I wanted some they were out of stock so I ended up with Federal RSR's. they are pretty good considering the weather we've had lately. good enough in standing water but not the most grippy accelerating out of roundabouts etc in the wet. I guess that could be a compromise of stiffer sidewalls.
Luke.

Reaction score
Well guys some of you might remember that when I got the car the previous owner had removed the front Sachs shocks and just fitted halfords jobs:rolleyes: So I was forced into doing something and as it is only my track toy it made sense to go for a fully adjustable set.

Reaction score
Well guys some of you might remember that when I got the car the previous owner had removed the front Sachs shocks and just fitted halfords jobs:rolleyes:

Ah well that makes perfect sense then!! They'll certainly be better than the Halfords jobbies lol ...

Reaction score
Ha ha , when I got it it had Sachs on the back , Halfords on the front and four different branded cheap chinese tyres too. Hmmmm nice.

Reaction score
Reaction score
After driving my megane for 6 years on coilovers, im glad im driving a car on "normal suspension" now, it was so hard, it was like not having suspension :p , dont get me wrong there was no body roll and it handled like it was on rails

Reaction score
Well had a great drive back , the car now actually goes round corners !!! Feels pretty amazing TBH with virtually no roll , and simply amazing agility as mentioned above it does feel pretty stiff but acceptable.

The brakes feel super strong , a little squeaky in town but again acceptable for a track pad.

Looking forward to Tuesday's track day now:)

Reaction score
Glad you're happy Neil :) Your car looked hard as nails yesterday. Those tyres set it off a treat!

Hey Dan , yes very happy thanks:) thanks for your attention yesterday and I will let you know how I get on at Snetterton. Yep those Yoko tyres transform the look for sure.

Reaction score
Has anyone used 'GAZ' on their clio? i have a set on my 5GTT and cant complain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac1848e0c

It doesn't say if the rears are just adjustable shocks and springs i think they probably will be. Comments

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-182-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257ba8e6b4 Here's a seconhand set of those GAZ's if that helps?

I had some on my VX220 and they serviced them free of charge for me so I can't fault there service :)