of the best drivers' roads in the world: the Route Napoleon in the
South of France. It was quite a drive to get there but it was well
worth it, as the photos alone prove. If you ever fancy heading out to
this fabulous playground yourself, this time of year is a very good
time to go; when summer arrives the area gets clogged with tourist
buses.

We originally planned to pitch the winner of the group test against my
Renault Clio Trophy once we returned to the UK, but time restraints
(not to mention the fact that it was snowing upon our group's return)
meant that this wasn't possible in the end, so we'll try to bring you
this test at a later date.

Finally this month, Jethro has been out on track for the most
mismatched group test we've ever done, pitching the flyweight Elise S
against the portly Cayenne Turbo and Mercedes ML63 AMG. All I'll say
here is that the Lotus didn't have it all its own way. Maybe truck
racing does have a future after all...

Until next month.

Harry

Reaction score
Just have to keep eyes peeled and keep hassling them for a comparison this year then!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aye, my saturday was a complete let down - mag came through and i thought, yes... opened it then thought.... where's the Trophy? my initial thought was that they didn't want to re-test the Trophy.... i'd like it to have another go at Bedford...

I got this email also... which answered the questions, why they didn't take the trophy over with them though, so it was a fair comparison is a mystery...

Reaction score
Cue said:
why they didn't take the trophy over with them though, so it was a fair comparison is a mystery...

Renault had enough of the 197 being constantly compared to the Trophy and the fact that most magazines are saying the Trophy is by far the better car? :?

I don't think Renault appreciated just how good they made the Trophy nor the following it has got when they brought out the 197....

Reaction score
Gutted, Am I completely alone here by thinking they were paid off? I'm not normally for conspiracy theories but I feel let down by EVO this time, everyone knew it was going to beat all the new cars and Vauxhall (or Renault) must have paid them to leave it out. Did Harry pay for his 197? I smell a rat. Maybe I'm just pissed off that the article I was looking forward to for a month (I haven't read it yet) doesn't exist. Didn't have time? What a crock of shit, it was that important that it should have gone along for the initial group test, it is the benchmark FFS.

Reaction score
Whos up for trying to get a corsa VXR on a weekend test drive and doing our own CT mini test? sure some nice vauxhall dealer will oblige us! lol

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
Gutted, Am I completely alone here by thinking they were paid off? I'm not normally for conspiracy theories but I feel let down by EVO this time, everyone knew it was going to beat all the new cars and Vauxhall (or Renault) must have paid them to leave it out. Did Harry pay for his 197? I smell a rat. Maybe I'm just pissed off that the article I was looking forward to for a month (I haven't read it yet) doesn't exist. Didn't have time? What a crock of ****, it was that important that it should have gone along for the initial group test, it is the benchmark FFS.

totally agree steve, i was delighted with Mr postman, then when I look at the contents and noticed a glaring ommission I just thought, FFS - no point in reading the damn thing as the mini was always going to win out of that lot. Harry..... what we really want is a comparison of the lot with the Trophy, get the Trophy back around bedford also as the time is crock!

Reaction score
Guys... I know where you are coming from but group tests involving new cars are just that - a group test with new cars! They really have to appeal to a broad audience and since the Trophy is no longer on sale then this becomes more of a 'side comparison' rather than part of the main article.

There are only so many times you can feature a Trophy in a group test - and now that it is almost a year old (and no longer on sale) putting it into a group test with new cars would be pushing it... the comments would then be "I wonder how much Renault is paying to have their (old) cars re-tested every time there is a group test..."

It is like putting an E30 M3 into every single new car test between new model M3/C55/S4 et. al. - there are just so many times you can do it before you start to play your own trumpet.

However a one-to-one test with the Cooper S in the future could be interesting, as would be a test against the replacement Trophy - a potential 197 Cup/Trophy etc.

Just my two cents :)

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the point is, generally, new cars improve on older cars but the new bunch of hot hatches don't..... testing a Mk1 golf gti or 205 to a Trophy, the trophy would win in every catagory. The same can't be said when comparing the Trophy to the new CTR, 197 etc.

Reaction score
Read the article now and I'm quite pleased really. They may have paid EVO to not take the old model along but they did good starting the article by declaring the breed extinct! Maybe things will get better if Renault do a proper Cup version, at least the 197 has a decent chassis. Someone needs to start importing the real Civic Type R's from Japan. Does a hot hatch need to be as good as a Trophy? It seems most British people don't really care and would rather it had more room and airbags and stick on bits to look fast.

I liked the letter of the month about the disgusting 722 SLR and that was before I realised it was written by my old boss!

Reaction score
Well as we all know the Trophy is a drivers car. It cant rely be put in the same league as the Corsa. It really sits in a league of its own, and we the priviliged few are the members of that league. We all know how good the car is. Do we really need it proving to everyone else.
The real test will be when some wanabe pulls up against us. This gives us all the proof we need.

At the end of the day we know we drive the best hot hatch that has ever been made and we are lucky enough to experience it every day!

Reaction score
oliie said:
There are only so many times you can feature a Trophy in a group test - and now that it is almost a year old (and no longer on sale) putting it into a group test with new cars would be pushing it... the comments would then be "I wonder how much Renault is paying to have their (old) cars re-tested every time there is a group test..."

It is like putting an E30 M3 into every single new car test between new model M3/C55/S4 et. al. - there are just so many times you can do it before you start to play your own trumpet...
Think you're spot on (although isn't almost 2 yrs old now?), it was all getting rather embarrasing when it was still new/newish. I think everyone who cares gets its a class car.
It'd be like rolling Rocky out for another fight...oh, bad example, well then sending Rambo on another...oh another bad example :wink:

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
It'd be like rolling Rocky out for another fight...oh, bad example, well then sending Rambo on another...oh another bad example :wink:

LOL.... quality statement :p