Reaction score
j333evo said:
New tyres always on rear on a fwd car especially at this tine of year means rear has more grip so much safer. Plus means the older tyres get worn then replaced with matching newer rubber to the new fitted tyres.

That must be the biggest load of **** I have ever read.

New tyres always on driven wheels, since they are putting the power to the road! so in your case the front!

Reaction score
In present weather conditions new/old makes no difference if you do not have propriety winter tyres fitted, they are all going to be poor.

I personally don't care which axle someone fits their new tyres to, but I take exception at people who try to belittle a statement with terms like bull**t & yet offer nothing in the form of objective arguments, again subjective, to back up such bold statements, making themselves look a little dim. If anything it has provided me with a laugh or two. It is en(tyre)ly up to you which axle you put your tyres on, I always replace all four.

A quote for you.

There are a number of tyre manufacturers who recommend fitting to rear irrespective of driven wheels.
An analysis of technical enquiries received by BTMA members has confirmed the belief that many customers - dealers and users alike - are of the opinion that, when only two tyres are replaced on a car, they should be fitted to the front "axle". This was undoubtely the case a number of years ago when it was felt that the retention of vehicle control was more critical with front wheel deflations and, therefore, that the new, and thus less vulnerable tyres should be fitted to the front.

However, the current recommendation on the part of the tyre industry is, as a general rule: NEW TYRES TO THE REAR. This applies to both front and rear wheel drive cars.

Primarily, the justification is increased safety, particularly in the wet, where it has been demonstrated that, with the partly worn tyres fitted to the rear, their diminished water dispersal capability leads to a greater tendency towards oversteer and thus loss of control. Similarly, straight-line brakings in the wet can be adversely affected. It is also arguable that used tyres are more prone to punctures and since it has now been established that rear deflations are more likely to cause loss of control, this is another reason for fitting new tyres to the rear.

As a secondary benefit for the owners of low annual mileage front wheel drive cars, the switching of the partly worn tyres to the front, enabling the new tyres to be fitted too the rear, creates a cycle which helps to prevent their deterioration due to ageing/prolonged exposure. The rear tyres wear relatively slowly and leaving them in their original position for a prolonged period can result in the need to replace them before they are significantly worn.

Note: There are certain circumstances where the principle of NEW TYRES TO THE REAR does not or may not apply. For example:

Where the front and rear tyre sizes are different.
Where the two new tyres are of a lower speed rating.
Where the characteristic rear concave wear pattern has developed to an extent that moving rear tyres to the front would affect the stability of the car.
Where the "system" concept of directional front and asymmetric rear tyres is applicable. 
With certain combinations of winter and summer tyres.
On certain front wheel drive vehicles where it would result in significant differences in tread depth.
If in doubt please contact the relevant tyre manufacturer.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
We seem to be going round in circles here.

I think we can agree that the generic advice for any car is new rubber on the rears, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and how you feel comfortable controlling the car.

Done.

Reaction score
Front wheels carry two thirds of the weight and do all the accelerating and changing direction plus most of the braking. The rear will just follow the front unless provoked so it's best to give grip to the front and drive smoothly.
I wonder if your mate practices what he preaches or if he's just giving you the default answer that companies give to people who don't understand the physics of lift off oversteer etc.
Certainly your right in that it's best to keep a good level of tread and matching tyres all around especially in winter and keep an eye on your tyre pressures.