Reaction score
Hello all (first post :)).

I have put a deposit on a Trophy which I will collect this weekend.

When I went to have a look around it there were only really 5 issues I could find.

1. front shocks advisory on MOT as a bit soft. obviously in need of a refurbish. will sent to cornering force as and when I can, not an issue really.

2. Gearbox noise. It sounds like a metallic rattling kind of noise under load in 3rd and 4th gears only (i think).
Is this a common issue? what are my options? rebuild? re-con unit? turn the stereo up?
I appreciate it seems a bit mad to buy a car with a potentially failing gearbox but I feel i got it at the right price and I am illing to invest a little £££ into making it a decent example...The thinking is, better to buy a cheap one and do the dampers and gbx than buy a more expensive one where the items may fail in the future. better the devil you know and all that.

3. Boot struts wont hold boot open. I've already ordered a replacement set of trophy spec struts from SGS.

4. Front splitter missing, don't fancy spending £160 on a new one from Renault. I have read there is a Clio cup car option from renaultsport for approx £60 which is much more flexible. Any ideas how to order one? Im not keen on going the mkII fabia splitter route.

5. This is the Big one! The heater fan doesnt work on any of the settings. I've read a few posts about this being the resistor. however they all refer to models with climate control. Also, If the resistor was playing up, wouldn't it work on its maximum setting? As we are getting into winter this is going to be the one that really causes me major headache.
I appreciate that this has probably been done to death, just want to clarify the following.....
Can resistor failure prevent fan working on ALL speeds in a NON climate control car?

As you can probably gather, I've already gained lots of useful info from the forum (which is excellent I might add) for which I am very grateful.

Cheers

Gareth
Soon to be No. 294

Reaction score
Get a carbon fibre splitter from KTEC for just over £100 notes. Well worth it :)

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I looked at the KTEC ones but i'm not a fan of carbon 'bits'. I want as close as OE look as possible, hence the preference for the Renaultsport cup race car part. If It wasn't so damn expensive and likley to break again I'd go for the renault part.

Reaction score
For the price, skoda splitter is a massive win, 10% of the cost of renaults and very little difference.

Reaction score
does the OE splitter have proper fittings or is it just screwed on?

Reaction score
The 182 boxes are better than the older 172 ones although still not great especially if they have been given little mechanical sympathy.
They usually whine (bearing noise) a metallic rattling noise sounds a little more concerning, could be box, diff, shafts..
If you do decide to get it refurbished Agency Transmissions is the place to take it.
With the regards to your heater fan issue, I would ask the question on cliosport.net you will probably get an answer a lot quicker.