Reaction score
I could only get Ws for mine back in June, and believe me the side walls are soft on them too. I have not felt any unusual handling issues with mine

Hmm, seems like the jury is out then. Having read Cue's post again, it would be a pity if the PS3 W rated tyre is both heavier and has a similar flabby sidewall as the V. Sounds like there is no real benefit to a W tyre.

Spitfire, although you have noticed no handling issues do you think the tyre is heavier? More unsprung weight not good. Guess the only way to tell is to put a W fitted to a Speedline on a pair of scales back-to-back with a V or a PE2.

Sounds like too much hard work unless you have spare wheels with tyres lying around!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I doubt there is much in it in terms of weight.
With tyres I'd say its mor important to get it right than worry about excess unsprung weight.

A few thousand miles will save weight anyway ;)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
When I say it's heavier we're not talking kilos, I doubt you'd actually notice the difference to be honest but then again Michelin have gone to the great expense and time of creating a W and a V for a reason.

I had a conversation with a tyre engineer of michelins a few years ago when trying to find out why PE2 supply was drying up - I think I posted the outcome on here but can't remember. The thing that stuck with me was the W's are for cars intended for touring and not standard issue on sports or performance cars.

Reaction score
Really can't comment on the tyre weight I'm afraid, as I didn't bother to have them weighed before Ren7oaks fitted them for me. My hand was forced by the lack of PS3 Vs available back in July (not sure if this situation has now improved), and I wasn't keen to start running a mix of brands on the car. Tyres seem just fine to me, but as I said earlier, I've never had to test the limit of their grip. Just a little nonplussed by the soft walls in comparison to the PE2s

Reaction score
So what are people thinking for tyres now? My Hankook RS2's are worn out and although they are great in the dry I'm not keen to run them in the wet as grip feels considerably behind PE2 levels. PS3? Eagle F1?
I already have winters but only use them for really bleak weather as they are only 185 15's.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Still pondering this after my little incident, changes day to day.

is1

Reaction score
For what's available in our size, I'd say PS3. I doubt there is another that is as good an all-rounder as well as wearing quite well. In this case, I do think you get what you pay for.
I have tried Uniroyal Rainsport 2s for a while but they didn't really deliver the weighty steering feel the PE2 and PS3 do.
They also gave up grip a little sooner than the PS3s when you leant on them.

Reaction score
I thought that would be the case - seems a shame though as I already thought the PE2's were too soft. I might have to stick the winters on and get more Hankooks for next year!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Im running the 'W' rated PS3's all round and ive found them to be great, did Cadwell with them on and they were fantastic. I run mine with slightly higher pressures but i did that with the PE2's as well was my preference. I did notice that they were quite weighty when i picked them up but like has been said i dont think its going to make much difference.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wondering if having these fitted are the answer to why the T feels so 'off' during normal and spirited driving. Have 'W' rated PS3's on the front as these were all that were available. Have very little confidence in the car like I used to running PE2's, car feels very unstable and less 'grippy' at all speeds. Wondering what to do now, wish I had paid a bit extra for the PE2's when they were last available!

Reaction score
Just had 4 fitted to mine (V rated) Just drove back but one thing I can deffinately say is the sidewalls have more give. Felt like the dampers were on much 'softer' setting xD

Getting the allignment done on Saturday so will see how they compare to the Exaltos then

Reaction score
Well 7000 miles later they are at the wear markers. What to do now, replace or gamble on something else? :rolleyes:

Anyone tried conti sport contact 2s?

Reaction score
7k miles - are you driving flat out everywhere? For outright dry weather grip you should consider Yokohama AD08s. They are meant to be fairly handy in the wet too. My money is on them next time around.

Reaction score
Yes, much less than a pe2 I reckon.

Well it does sort of egg you on the little red devil. :D

Reaction score
7k miles - are you driving flat out everywhere? For outright dry weather grip you should consider Yokohama AD08s. They are meant to be fairly handy in the wet too. My money is on them next time around.

I have AD08's and cant fault them..............

Reaction score
I was hoping to get AD08's to replace the RS2's but when I needed them they were out of stock everywhere. I'm giving the Federal 595rs-r a go instead. Initial thoughts are they have good dry grip and a decent sidewall. They are good in standing water and reasonable in the wet so far. Better than the RS2's in the wet But that's not saying much! My only concern is they are soft at 140 treadwear index compared to rs2 at 200 and pe2 at 240 I think. So far I'm happy though and glad I didn't get PS3's.:)

Reaction score
Anyone tried conti sport contact 2s?

Was thinking about them myself. They seem like a good alternate option if PS3 so poor. The Contact 2's are used as OEM on the 197 iirc.

I don't think they're too expensive either.

Reaction score
Continental SC 3s are oem on 197s

Got it, knew it was a Conti Sport Contact of some sort. Do you know if there is a huge difference between SC2 and SC3? Perhaps in the same way there is between PE2 and PS3...