Reaction score
:?: Hello peeps, i need some advice. I have a rather boring 03 plate renault kangoo van for work which im happy to say will be going at the end of next month. I have wanted a clio for the past 6 years, ever since my brother in law had an old 172. I am torn between a trophy or a black 182? I love the way the trophy stands out and what it stands for, but i like the fact the black one is more of a stealth bomber. I really am confused as both have pros and cons. Please help!! Discuss.

I am totally new to this site so bare with me

Day

Reaction score
Ady182 is the best man to advise.

He's just gone from a black 182 to a Megane 225 to a Clio Trophy!

If it was me I'd be looking at the Trophy

Plus black cars (although faster) are harder to keep clean ;)

Reaction score
cheers

cheers mate thanks for replying, how do i contact ady? im new mate so not sure how it all works. Ive been looking at some of rhe pics on this site and it is swaying me to a trophy

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you are looking for in the car.

The 182FF have all the toys (climate control, xenons, leather rear seat etc) which the Trophy lacks, however, where the Trophy comes into its own is when you actually get behind the wheel and drive.

I'd say have a good road test of a Trophy and your mind will probably be made up there and then...

Reaction score
Cheers

Cheers for replying mate, Trophy really stands out and i love the fact its limited edition and the recaro bucket seats. I am slightly let down with the back seat, i appreciate you won't be sitting in back. I like the black one because all leather and suede with all the FF. I like the fact the when clean it looks a beast. i gotta admit trophy winning me round tho

Reaction score
Yeah the black 182s do look very smart, I like them when they have the anthracite rims on.

But for me the Trophy just has that little extra something.

I think we're all in agreement the back seat is nothing short of garbage. Just take it out and have a nice pair of recaro's, it looks the business.

Reaction score
If the colour of a car is more important than owning the best hot hatch ever made then get a Full Fat!

Obviously, we're all going to tell you to get a Trophy, we all made the decision to get one over a FF (or any other hot hatch/car of a similar price). If you need any more specific information then please ask away. Have you spoken to Steve at www.allvehicles.co.uk , he will be happy to let you take one on an extended test drive, just take your cheque book for the deposit!

I too like Black cars but one you have the little red beaut on your drive you'll find you wouldn't want it any other colour, looks great with the gunmetal wheels and black Recaro's and when it's cleaned up in the Sunshine - like a blood red pocket Ferrari.

Reaction score
i wouldn't be put off the Trophy because of the back seats, like some people who own them they have taken to standard ones out and brought the rear from a 182FF to put in. can't believe it would cost too much to do, just hunt around.

The trophy is a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Trophy!!

I had 1.2 then 172 and now Trophy! Everyday is an awesome drive in the Trophy and on my weekend runs up to Edinburgh and across to the lakes it is FAST FAST FAST!!

Best car I have ever driven (apart from a 3.2 Boxster!).

However! Do look at a Megane I was very tempted but could not find a good one now loads are coming up and all look ace. 222 pounds of torque! O yeah!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would say it depends on your intentions and driving skill. If you're just looking for a quick car, that looks good and you want creature comforts like sat nav, climate control, xenons etc etc then go for the 182 with cup suspesion.

If you're a serious driver who doesn't want to compromise or you think you may want something to throw 'round a track every now and again then go for either a cup or a Trophy.

This isn't a critasism or a wild comment but if you're worried about the look of the rear seats i'd say the trophy possibly isn't for you, you should be more bothered about the dampers, weight, power, tyres, who's serviced it, when etc etc..... this may not be a fair comment but i can't think that the rear seats are a 'should I buy or not' deal breaker.

The only reason i'd change them is if I carried passengers in the back on anything more than a yearly basis.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Trophy all the way :D :D nothing comes close!! not even an SL55 AMG or Boxster and i've driven both.
as soon as you drive it you'll fall in love with it & you'll never get bored of driving the trophy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
What next; (swear) (swear)

I didn't buy a trophy cause it didn't have map reading lights.

I didn't buy a trophy cause it didn't have a decent horn.

WTF is it with people, get in one & drive it (sick)

yep the Trophy's horn is poo - upgrade to a FIA twin Sports horn. 500 & 600 mhz of fun :)

G

The only thing that put me off the Trophy compared with a 'full fat' 182 was the fact it has no xenons (which I love) and that the audio sounds better if I sing rather than listen to a CD. These things won't have any effect on how the car drives whatsoever (what, 10kgs max?), but it would have cost Renault more to fit these things into the Cup and Trophy cars. :cry:

The only type of 172/182 that I've driven is the Trophy, and so, to those who have experienced both, can you really feel any discernable difference in the way the cars handle? I would imagine a 182 Cup would feel pretty much identical 99% of the time. That's not a criticism of the Trophy - the 182 has the fantastic reputation as being one of the best hot-hatches around, but I do doubt there's a big difference between it and other Clios. Even if it didn't have the Sachs suspension, I'd still have bought one just for the Recaro seats, colour and exclusivity. :)

Reaction score
David87 said:
The only type of 172/182 that I've driven is the Trophy, and so, to those who have experienced both, can you really feel any discernable difference in the way the cars handle? I would imagine a 182 Cup would feel pretty much identical 99% of the time. That's not a criticism of the Trophy - the 182 has the fantastic reputation as being one of the best hot-hatches around, but I do doubt there's a big difference between it and other Clios. Even if it didn't have the Sachs suspension, I'd still have bought one just for the Recaro seats, colour and exclusivity. :)

I had a phase 1 172 before the Trophy, and the handling of the Trophy is much better. Higher levels of grip, less roll, better damping etc all contribute to improving what was already a very sorted car. On my favourite roads, I find I am taking some corners around 10mph quicker than I used to attack them in the 172, and the Trophy still remains well within it's limits. However, I have found on trackdays that there isn't that much difference in pace between a standard 182 Cup and me in my standard Trophy...

Reaction score
the trophy is a much better drivers car, but if you are worried about lack of alcantara, no xenons and a slightly louder steroe than get a 182.

only you can decide really, you know what you want from the car.

i knew i only wanted the trophy, didn't look at another car, and brought the first trophy i went to see. If you are unsure, have a good look round both and test drive both.

Reaction score
David87 said:
The only thing that put me off the Trophy compared with a 'full fat' 182 was the fact it has no xenons (which I love) and that the audio sounds better if I sing rather than listen to a CD. These things won't have any effect on how the car drives whatsoever (what, 10kgs max?), but it would have cost Renault more to fit these things into the Cup and Trophy cars. :cry:

I'm contemplating ripping a star off you for this post David!

You bought the Trophy because of the colour and seats?!?

The 182 and 182 Cup was indeed a superb hot hatch, if you remember Evo had it in the knowledge as their recommended hot hatch for ages, they thought it better than the 4 star 172 Cup in fact. They absolutely loved it and compared all new hatches with it. I remember reading the first little snippet about the forthcoming Trophy (it had a picture of one with Alonso sitting on the bonnet) and thinking "Fuck me, that's gong to be one hell of a good car." Then it came out and well, I think we all remember the reviews, I lost sleep over thinking about it how good it must be. I forgot about it for a time, then the M6 came out and they didn't really have anything appropriate to test it against, so they did a M6/Trophy group test, and basically said that although not as fast on anything but a very twisty course/circuit (obviously) it was a match for the £80K Ultimate ultimate driving machine in pure driving terms. I don't think the 182 Cup would ever have come third behind only an F430 and Ford GT in the ECOTY, beating an Elise, M3 CS and every other affordable performance car that year. I don't recall ever seeing even more than one negative line written about it in any review. I saw one on eBay and watched it, It was Steve Coulter's and I contacted the seller, he said he had another one coming in - a mint, Permagarded, very low mileage one so I booked a test drive.

It's not a whole different car to the standard 182/Cup, it's just about as perfect as a hot hatch can get. Even the Clio hating population of ClioSport rarely bother to slate the Trophy, they know there's no point. It's the equivalent of saying that you don't really appreciate a good driver's car or know a performance bargain when you see one.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
David87 said:

The 182 and 182 Cup was indeed a superb hot hatch, if you remember Evo had it in the knowledge as their recommended hot hatch for ages, they thought it better than the 4 star 172 Cup in fact. They absolutely loved it and compared all new hatches with it. I remember reading the first little snippet about the forthcoming Trophy (it had a picture of one with Alonso sitting on the bonnet) and thinking "**** me, that's gong to be one hell of a good car." Then it came out and well, I think we all remember the reviews, I lost sleep over thinking about it how good it must be. I forgot about it for a time, then the M6 came out and they didn't really have anything appropriate to test it against, so they did a M6/Trophy group test, and basically said that although not as fast on anything but a very twisty course/circuit (obviously) it was a match for the £80K Ultimate ultimate driving machine in pure driving terms. I don't think the 182 Cup would ever have come third behind only an F430 and Ford GT in the ECOTY, beating an Elise, M3 CS and every other affordable performance car that year. I don't recall ever seeing even more than one negative line written about it in any review. I saw one on eBay and watched it, It was Steve Coulter's and I contacted the seller, he said he had another one coming in - a mint, Permagarded, very low mileage one so I booked a test drive.

It's not a whole different car to the standard 182/Cup, it's just about as perfect as a hot hatch can get. Even the Clio hating population of ClioSport rarely bother to slate the Trophy, they know there's no point. It's the equivalent of saying that you don't really appreciate a good driver's car or know a performance bargain when you see one.

Bloody hell, this should be framed or made a sticky lol.... Hallelujah amen.

G

Steve said:

No, but they were contributing factors. What I meant with that comment is that because the ‘standard’ 182 is such a good car, owning one wouldn’t exactly be a chore, and better seats and a nice colour would only add to its appeal.

I wouldn't buy an 1.2 8v Clio even if it had nice seats and came in a sexy shade of red. :p