Reaction score
Aye must admit that seems a big change to me. Always wanted an Elise but never been in financial grasp as of yet. Looked at an 03 with 15k for 15k but too much for me.

Reaction score
Just miss my hot hatch i suppose. Its everything, the driving position, the power delivery, the handling characteristics. Also driving round London day in day out I think you'll struggle to beat the Clio for usable performance.

Had a MK 5 Golf Gti before the Elise. It was the perfect car but just a bit boring....Really want tog et back into an old school hatch is suppose.

The Elise is an awesome tool but as a daily driver I think you're pushing it a bit!

Reaction score
Yeah the Clio's everyday useability is fantastic! With it being so small and agile it is an excellent tool to cut through town - even though a traffic jam in Newcastle only lasts 15mins!

Reaction score
Once again thanks for the welcomes, keep em coming! This car is absolutely superb!

Suspension and damping in particular is very impressive.

Reaction score
Hi Karl,
hope you enjoy the Trophy. I have had mine for over 2 years now and was currently thinking doing the opposite to what you have done.
My friend is selling his ardent red 111R, 12000 miles pipercross induction & sports exhaust (sounds fantastic after 6000 rpm). I have driven his car on track and we took both cars to Spa and the Ring last year. My big problem is whether the driving experience is worth an extra £8/9k. My mate is currently struggling to sell his car at present and will sell for below 19K.
Give me your feelings after a few blasts in the Trophy.

Reaction score
stephenhunter said:
Hi Karl,
hope you enjoy the Trophy. I have had mine for over 2 years now and was currently thinking doing the opposite to what you have done.
My friend is selling his ardent red 111R, 12000 miles pipercross induction & sports exhaust (sounds fantastic after 6000 rpm). I have driven his car on track and we took both cars to Spa and the Ring last year. My big problem is whether the driving experience is worth an extra £8/9k. My mate is currently struggling to sell his car at present and will sell for below 19K.
Give me your feelings after a few blasts in the Trophy.

Would the Lotus be used as an everyday car? If so you need to be able to put up with a few 'foibles'. The 111R is the most reliable version yet but you will still have to expect leaks from the roof when it rains and the odd electical glitch. Thinks like wing mirrors, numberplates and trim falling off would annoy me as would the variety of rattles that fill the cabin. TADT!

The engine and drivetrain (being Toyota) are pretty much bullet proof so there's no head gasket worries like with the Rover engined cars. Be aware that the Toyota engines can suffer from oil starvation and they do like to drink oil generally!

If you are going to use the Elise as an everyday car I would say that you would need to be fully committed to using it as such. The main problem i had was that the roads are so poor in London, you are constantly fearing for the cars life evrytime you hit a bump or heaven forbid a pothole.

If you're going to track the Elise a lot, you really won't find a better value for money tool. It is dynamically amazing and sends shivers down your spine when the second cam kicks in at 6200rpm!

What is your driving style like? I personally had to adapt to suit the power delivery and handling. You cannot throw the S2 Elise into corners like with a hot hatch it will initally understeer and then snap oversteer and you have to be mighty quick to catch it. I wouldn't call myself a smooth driver and i couldn't get on with the "slow in, fast out" principles of driving it.

If you get the Elise brilliant, its an amazing, tactile car and i really enjoyed having it. Its just that i couldn't get on with it on the mundane commuting type stuff with it cos IMO it demanded too much of me.

From the blats i've had in the trophy on B roads I don't regret swapping back from the Elise and I would argue with anyone who said the trophy wasn't just as enjoyable to drive.

Sometimes you really want a car (the Elise with me) and then when you've got it you actually realise that outright perfromance isn't the be all and all the little faults start to wind you up!

Sorry for the long explanantion, if you've got any questions in particular I'd be more than happy to help.

Karl.

Reaction score
Have fun in my old Trophy Karl,

i had some great times in 237 i have to admit,and i do miss it it in many ways but the Integra i've got now is just fantastic.
Would always have another Trophy though without any hesitation.

Added some pictures of my new steed aswell.

Alex

Attachments

• Sea fishing and various 012.JPG
    Sea fishing and various 012.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 106
  • Sea fishing and various 013.JPG
    Sea fishing and various 013.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hi Karl,
thanks for that, really excellent. The Elise would be my everyday car plus the wifes Focus,so you have really answered my question.
I am really loath to let go of the Trophy as it is so good at everything. Where I live in N Ireland we have lots of fast B roads with little traffic and the Trophy is really awsome on these.
I may just keep the Trophy and buy a cheaper Elise/Caterham as well for the trackdays. I love the Trophy for a road car but the elise is much more exciting on track especially with the toyota singing behind your head at 6000 plus.

Enjoy and thanks.

Reaction score
wrightyrs said:
Have fun in my old Trophy Karl,

i had some great times in 237 i have to admit,and i do miss it it in many ways but the Integra i've got now is just fantastic.
Would always have another Trophy though without any hesitation.

Added some pictures of my new steed aswell.

Alex

Hey Alex thanks for giving me a shout!

The trophy's great and i can really see its been looked after! I'll give it as much care as you obiously did but I'll also use it "properly" if you know what i mean!

Hey the Integra looks great. I had a Anniversary Civic Type R and that was awesome! Seemed to spend most of my time in 1st and 2nd gear! ;-) Its great to know that you've got another 2000rpm than anyone else before you have to change up! Hee hee!

Look out for me mate (i work all over London and parts of essex so you might see 237 buzzing about!).

Thanks for dropping us a line and might see you on a meet or something!?

Karl.

Reaction score
stephenhunter said:
Hi Karl,
thanks for that, really excellent. The Elise would be my everyday car plus the wifes Focus,so you have really answered my question.
I am really loath to let go of the Trophy as it is so good at everything. Where I live in N Ireland we have lots of fast B roads with little traffic and the Trophy is really awsome on these.
I may just keep the Trophy and buy a cheaper Elise/Caterham as well for the trackdays. I love the Trophy for a road car but the elise is much more exciting on track especially with the toyota singing behind your head at 6000 plus.

No worries Stephen,

You can get S1 Elises for £8-9k now and if you intend to track it then that might be the way to go?

If you don't live in town and don't suffer from too much traffic then the Elise really is an everyday option! Deffo try to get a 111r tho if its going to be your only car. They don't overheat in traffic!

Anytime you need to know more mate, give us a shout and I might return the favour on the trophy!

Cheers,

Karl.

Enjoy and thanks.

Attachments

• elise plate.JPG
    elise plate.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Alex, Plus and minuses between Trophy and Integra - some reckon the DC5 is not quite as precise as the DC2?

Reaction score
No probs Karl,

Glad its all ok for you,although Steve does a great job prepping them before sale!!! LOL.
Only joking,cars don't look after themselves,was washed/waxed very reguarly.
If you want to know anything about 237,what i did,where i went with it just ask.

And i'll keep an eye out for you in Essex,there is a few Trophy's around mind!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophy:-

Easier to drive when really pushing on,not so much bump/torque steer(LSD on Teg)planted rear end,except under heavy braking(needed some neg camber)Poor brakes(compared to Tegs Brembos)
I loved the way you could flow with the Trophy,how it was easy to place and adjust your line on the throttle,how it would always have something left to give even if the driver had run out of skill !!!! LOL

Integra:-
Never driven a DC2,so couldn't comment on the difference between them.
The driving position is fantastic,everything is to hand and feels right,the weight of the steering is not to heavy or light.
The engine and gearbox are just amazing,one of the best i've ever used,better than any of the cars i've driven to date.
The brakes are great(Porsche good)the seats are great(so supportive)
Driving it,well it seems a very similar drive until you start to push on,am getting used to the LSD and how you can power through corners,and how it pulls you towards the apex,the back gets a bit 'loose' under heavy braking,will be getting a fast road set-up on it very soon.

On my favourite roads around my area i doubt that there would be any difference,i will get Gazza from here out in his Trophy and will find out and report back.
Its just a different experience,the Integra ticks more boxes than the Trophy did,i loved the Trophy and would always get another one.

Hope this helps,(prob not lol)

Reaction score
wrightyrs said:
No probs Karl,

Glad its all ok for you,although Steve does a great job prepping them before sale!!! LOL.
Only joking,cars don't look after themselves,was washed/waxed very reguarly.
If you want to know anything about 237,what i did,where i went with it just ask.

And i'll keep an eye out for you in Essex,there is a few Trophy's around mind!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophy:-

Easier to drive when really pushing on,not so much bump/torque steer(LSD on Teg)planted rear end,except under heavy braking(needed some neg camber)Poor brakes(compared to Tegs Brembos)
I loved the way you could flow with the Trophy,how it was easy to place and adjust your line on the throttle,how it would always have something left to give even if the driver had run out of skill !!!! LOL

Integra:-
Never driven a DC2,so couldn't comment on the difference between them.
The driving position is fantastic,everything is to hand and feels right,the weight of the steering is not to heavy or light.
The engine and gearbox are just amazing,one of the best i've ever used,better than any of the cars i've driven to date.
The brakes are great(Porsche good)the seats are great(so supportive)
Driving it,well it seems a very similar drive until you start to push on,am getting used to the LSD and how you can power through corners,and how it pulls you towards the apex,the back gets a bit 'loose' under heavy braking,will be getting a fast road set-up on it very soon.

On my favourite roads around my area i doubt that there would be any difference,i will get Gazza from here out in his Trophy and will find out and report back.
Its just a different experience,the Integra ticks more boxes than the Trophy did,i loved the Trophy and would always get another one.

Hope this helps,(prob not lol)

Yeah I think its great, the Trophy flows so well. "Flows" is the word....It doesn't pull your face off with violent acceleration but before you know it your upto 90 and its still pulling! Definately found out about the rear under heavy braking but have to say its a great, adjustable drive. Will no doubt upgrade the brakes when they need replacing.

Just getting used to the bizarre driving position. Think the seats could have been a lot lower! I'm 6'2" and am fiddling with the seat and wheel to get the best "comprimise". Would've helped if the wheel adjusted for reach.

Overall tho well chuffed....The car just encourages you to push without exceeding your "skill" levels!

Cheers mate!

Reaction score
I describe the Trophy as very user friendly, even under competitive conditions, including the wet. The light back end under braking is probably due to the very limited droop on the rear dampers; but that is a relatively small price to pay for the handling balance that gives under most other conditions.