nbc

Reaction score
Had the MOT done yesterday and when I picked it up the exhaust gas monitor light was on (engine shape symbol on the vertical right hand side).

What may have caused this, will it go out and can I blame it on the garage or just one of those things that happen during MOT's?

Renauly want £50 to put it on the diagnostics machine, and then it could possible be a sensor failure aswell, do you think I should try and get the MOT centre to pay for it as it's damage they have caused at the end of the day.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lmao at reno..... if you've a standard exhaust i'd lay money on the O2 sensor being shot. Probably caused by the MOT centre but very difficult to prove.

You can buy an OBDii reader off ebay for less than the £50 reno want and do it yourself in 5 mins. As easy as plugging in a printer or a phone to a computer.

Is the car still under warranty? if so then they shouldn't be charging for this anyway.... the reg date is when the warranty runs from not the mft date like the MOT iirc.

nbc

Reaction score
The warranty ran out on the 13th! :roll:

I have the MOT centre boss phoning me soon i'll let you now what he says, but I think you're right about the O2 sensor.

I spoke to Mark Fish about it and he reckons leave it unitl it's booked in with him on the 7th August, for new tyres, and if it hasn't cured itself by then he'll check it out. Reluctant though because if there is a fault then that's a long time after the event to follow it up with offenders!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
follow mark's advice - he knows his beans :)
Glad the light's gone out - if it was on for more than 15 seconds it'll leave a trace on the ecu that he should be able to pick up and sort.

Reaction score
I know im a new member but reading up on this subject with the clios and not wanting to scare anyone with the same problem,

I have just bought a 52 plate Clio Extreme well just over a month ago Every weekend for the past 4 weeks i can guarentee to you that it has been back in the garage with this light coming on going off after a disgnostic test then coming back on having it done it again things replaced on it 4 times in a month RIDICULOUS if you ask me and didnt the sales man know about. (although i give him some credit it did get fixed many visits later, and came with a 30 day warrenty)

When the lgiht first came on i took it to the garage they did a diagnostic test and it went off after so they put it down to some faulty wiring, checked this, the car was fie till the following weekend (Friday if i remeber correctly, and it was raining heavily((This dies have something to do with it hence the details)), On it comes again and in it goes for a disgnostic test.

Result = Lambda Sensor in the back of the exhaust, This measures ur co2 emissions and fumes coming from your exhaust/engine. 1 Lambda sensor later the goes off for yet again another week and another down pour so in it goes to the garage again.

Result 2 = Lambda sensor in the front, so same scenario as above, a few days later another down pour and round 3 of the above this time eing the one in the middle.

They only have 3 so i was getting my hopes up this was the end of it and i could enjoy dirving again.

But oh no! Yet another down pour exactly 5 days after the 3rd replaced lambda sensor the garage where i got the car form deicdes it needs to go to the main dealers as there tester is not in depth enough and was reading the same problems as to what had already been replaced.

So the book it in with renault for the tesing donw by them .
Only to find THE CATALYSTIC CONVERTOR in the caR WAS NOT FOR A CLIO infact it was FOR A MEGANE!

Luckily for me the proplem started within the warrenty and cost me £0 as it was on going but overall it cost the gaage the best part of £500 before labour and renauits fees so thats just the parts, to find out all they have replaced were infact nothing to do with why my light came on so many times.

SOrry if this worrys anyone i just thought it mgiht help if any one comes across this problem or could share their experiences with the same problem and what the fault if any was.

But now its all fine and hasb een for 2 weeks 2day so fingers crossed, because iv started spending money on it now :lol: fancy number plates, brakes painted, windows re tinted blue this that n the other not too much though just yet.
BUT it is a smart nippy gd to drive car i love this car even after all the porblems :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i can sympathise with you on that - reno should have identified it as a megane cat at the first time of asking. it's shocking that they took 4 attempts to identify an incorrect part - and that was because it was someone else that looked at the car not the original service dept..... terrible that.

This can't be replicated on a trophy though as:

1. the exhaust system is unique to 182's
2. it has a special 200 cell cat converter fitted as standard - not one that can be mixed up with other part bin offerings.
3. Reno don't build renosport models - renaultsport in dieppe build them, they generally are built to a higher standard then the general reno offerings.

Reaction score
ive just had the exhaust gas light come on and dont really know whats wrong with the car, and it has been raining here hard but dont know if thats the cause of the problem. ive waited for 20 mins then went back to car and its still there, worriying thing is its due its first mot on friday

Reaction score
I'd book it into Renault. I took mine in and they sorted it within 2 hours all under warranty. It was O2 sensor for me too. It seems to be a common fault on then. I'm sure before I change the car I'll have to change the sensor again.