Reaction score
Hey all,

So I actually managed to drive a trophy at the weekend, my first time. It was a little disappointing but I have to say I don't think it was the best maintained example so that may be the reason for it.

The seats were fabulous (if the driving position a little upright),the steering very nicely weighted with a crisp turn in and the brakes were nice and sharp.

However, the engine did sound very rattly and a little labored above 4K rpm (as if it didn't have much more to give), is this normal or just down to perhaps not being properly maintained? (the tires were mis-matched front and rear which I know on a RWD is a massive no no, not 100% about FWD however)

Finally the clutch had a very very short travel and was very very stiff. Is this normal, do the clutches have little or no pedal travel and take a mighty good shove from your left left to engage?

Thanks for any and all information :)

-Mark.

Reaction score
However, the engine did sound very rattly and a little labored above 4K rpm (as if it didn't have much more to give), is this normal or just down to perhaps not being properly maintained?

No, that's wrong (the car, not you!).

The F4R engine should be at its best above 4-5k rpm.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, it was kind of the catch 22 situation as well where i didn't want to rag the chaps car but it didn't feel as well as it should have.

I'll keep looking and see if I can get a drive in another.

Reaction score
Clutches on all 182's are notoriously hard, but i just think everything else is soft :wink:

Reaction score
The engine should feel the oposite to that i.e. Flat under 5 and once you hit 5250 the engine note should change and you'll feel a big step up in power!

As for tyres I have serious doubts about any cars not on pe2s (apart from track rubber)

Reaction score
Good to know about the stiff(er) clutch, thanks :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mark, what are you comparing it against?

911's and M3's will leave the F4R engine feeling laboured where ever in the rev band you are but against anything sub £30k it should feel a little bazai mental above 5k. The engine is fairly torquey though so below 5k you should feel the pick up from 2k ish.

You can easily drive the T in 5th at 30mph all the way round to 145mph, not many engine/gearbox combinations offer that flexibility.

And yes, to none RS drivers the clutch can feel stiff.

G

as has been said, The clutch is definitely stiff! (drove my other car and nearly prodded the clutch through the firewall :lol: ) and the power band should feel/punch alot at 4k revs (certainly not laboured!). I find the power very usable from 3-5k. Pulls excellent!

Reaction score
Cue: I guess i was comparing it against my RX8 (which has nothing under 5K), it just seemed to get noiser above 4k but not actually faster :)

Will hunt out another to try and test drive :)

Reaction score
pm_air said:
as has been said, The clutch is definitely stiff! (drove my other car and nearly prodded the clutch through the firewall :lol: ) and the power band should feel/punch alot at 4k revs (certainly not laboured!). I find the power very usable from 3-5k. Pulls excellent!

I was trying to think what you'd said about the clutch because I never really had an opinion on it. That said the Focus has a very light one in comparison.

As you say, it should have a fairly linear delivery through the mid range then at about 4.5 to 5k it should turn in to an animal!

Reaction score
It sounds like it wasn't the best example you drove.

The clutch pedal is another thing I love about the car, it adds to the rawness its great :)

Reaction score
Isn't it a good thing to have a stiff clutch in a powerfull car?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was quite interested to hear what you thought about 182s with your car history, if the T has an Achilles heel its that to get it to work at its best it needs to be kept in the 5-6 rev range, though I think its great up to there that's when it shows its true self. Though the unmatched tyres shouldn't be a problem they may be an indicator of its general health. Lastly I love the firm clutch.

Reaction score
MarkR said:
Hey all,

However, the engine did sound very rattly and a little labored above 4K rpm (as if it didn't have much more to give), is this normal or just down to perhaps not being properly maintained? (the tires were mis-matched front and rear which I know on a RWD is a massive no no, not 100% about FWD however)

Hi,

Did you let the car warm up properly ? I've found that from cold the throttle responce is rubbish, but once warmed up its fine, also another tell tell sign is the rev limit will cut out around 6300rpm something like that, indicating the car has not fully warmed up....

Chris

Reaction score
I bought a mint 04 182 cup pack 2 years ago! sadly gone to the salvage yard #-o hence why I'm now the proud owner of a Trophy :D ! I'd owned 2 106 gti's previously and for a 1.6 16v there a bit of a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' and they where more than a match for many of my mates 2.0 16v cars. Whilst owning the 106 gti I got asked by a mate if I could pick his clio 172 up which was about 5miles away! Driving this sure as hell put a smile on my face! so I soon found and purchased the black 182 cup pack. I took it for a test drive and thought it was good but thought to myself that it wasn't as quick as I remembered the 172 being, this was until I purchased it and got it back and properly opened it out!

You'll find the engine maybe a little lazy until you hit around 5000rpm (still more torquey than most Honda equivalents) then you'll notice a difference in sound and performance with a noticeable kick! bare in mind if your looking for a 2.0 16v naturally aspirated engine then you really can't go wrong with a Trophy or it's 197 or new 200 successors. The 182 as I'm sure most people will agree is more than likely one of the quickest 2.0 16v naturally aspirated car's produced in the last few years much quicker than Golf / Seats equivalents, astra mk2 red tops, Fiesta st's and also many 2.0 16v turbo charged engines you see today.

Have another spin! It may not have the same power to what you're use to, but it will sure as hell will put a smile on your face with the way it handles!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input chaps, would really like to try another one to compare, problem is getting hold of one!

Reaction score
Why don't you just find a T nearby at a dealer and take a test drive? :-D

Reaction score
Because there aren't any! :(

The one I test drove at the weekend is the only one for sale in Scotland as far as I can see. Would just like to compare, guess its a waiting game #-o

Reaction score
Or just find a 182 at a dealer and drive that....they are the same in a straight line.

Sounds like a dodgy one really but then saying that I have never been in a clio sport that has been much slower, even the older 172's. They are still pretty good at the bottom end of the revs but anything above just under 5k and it really picks up. 1st and 2nd gear should feel fast and if in any gear accelerating from low revs, there is (and should be) a huge kick at just under 5k.