Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie here today but thought i'd logg on and get some advice.

Basically i'm presently driving an 05 clio 1.2 16v and am now looking for something a little quicker (previously had a Type R Civic but had to sell it to do the house purchase thing) - my budget is 10k and I cant decide whether to go for a 182 Cup now or hang on a bit till the Trophy reaches that level. Car would only really be used at weekends as I live in Essex and get the tube to work in London so mileage would be something like 5-6k per year.

Did a couple of track days in my civic and really enjoyed them, so something i'd like to get back into again - great fun :D

Any ideas/comments greatly appreciated (tup)

Reaction score
i dont think u will find a good trophy for 10k for a long time... mightaswell get a 182

welcome aswell

Reaction score
You wouldn't be disappointed by a Clio 182 with Cup Packs. I do plenty of cross country miles in one and there's only 3 BHP/Tonne difference. The Trophy feels a tad sportier as it's got the lower recaros and is noisier due to less deadening. The Xenons and Climate are nice touches too.

Reaction score
To be honest, if it's just a weekend car, I'd hang fire. You will lose an awful lot of cash on the 1.2 when you sell or trade in, so you might as well wait a wee while for Trophy (and other 182) prices to drop. You'll get a much better deal all round and will end up with a lot more car for your money, plus some track day quids when you do change.

There might be a bit of a drop in 182 prices (although less so for the Trophy) if the new 197 proves to be amazing, but I wouldn't put much faith in that.

Dull I know, but why not shove the cash in a savings account in the meantime to get a few quid and stop you frittering it away?

Reaction score
drexel said:
i dont think u will find a good trophy for 10k for a long time...

I recon december/january time - when car sales are usually in a slump and the new 197 will be the talk of the town in clio land. Cars are already selling on Pistonheads for less than 12k (05 models with circa 7k miles) - that'll be 11k soon - i'd be prepared to wait till then.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome folks (tupw)

Reaction score
At the weekend I sold an 0505 with 9000 miles and both Cup Packs for £10495. I might have another one coming. Would always take your Clio in P/X. Cheers, Steve. ps: January sales always lift off hence the trade prices going through the roof then ;)

Reaction score
you could always try and get a deal with someone whos selling their trophy.

My 05 trophy with 1200 miles cost me 11k, mind you the guy didnt use it and wanted it out of his garage as he bought it as a toy and was too busy all year to use it (self employed) i couldnt believe when he phoned me back the next day and said he would take the 11k for it!! its still got the bobbles on the tyres and is absolutely unmarked!!

It may be worth your while to phone some1 up and ask them, the worst they can say is no. I just phoned the guy up and said I didnt want to muck him about but i only had 11k cash. Theres a couple of trophy's on autotrader for less than 11k, albeit with higher mileage but well worth a look me thinks!!

Just depends how quickly they want to sell.

Ian.

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, good advice and more or less what I was thinking tbh - money talks and all that. Think ive more or less made up my mind to hold out for the Trophy - drove the one Ware Garages had in a couple of months back and I did think it was a great car. Just my sort of thing.

Now got to decide what to do with the car i've got - the girlfriend is looking to start learning to drive soon so may be good for her, bit pricey though for her to bump and bash as a first car. But on the plus side it has only done a handful of miles, is cheap to run, fautlessly reliable and has got that all important aircon (essential around London). Hmmm, more decisions :?

Reaction score
clarki said:
the girlfriend is looking to start learning to drive soon so may be good for her, bit pricey though for her to bump and bash as a first car.

It's a Clio, not a Maserati! :p It's probably the cheapest well handling car you can buy that is almost brand new.

As far as purchasing advice goes: the Trophy will always retain a higher percentage of its original price than a 182 with cup packs, so if you can shell out the extra £1k now for the Trophy over the 182 Cup then you'll no doubt get it back a couple of years later.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
I'm in Epping mate - would love to have a proper look at one up close without a salesman giving me all the patter in the background and hear from an actual owner what they are really like.

I'll get the coffees in :D There a nice Costa bang smack in the middle of the high street.

Cheers,
Neil.