Reaction score
Does anyone know whether 182 Cup dampers will fit a Trophy? Reason I ask is that my nearside front damper has a loose remote reservoir and has leaked oil and is therefore shot. My car has done only 31000 miles. I've only a few days left of my warranty (end of Aug, great timing!!) and will try to see if they can replace it under warranty. Heres hoping, otherwise I will try and fit a pair of Cup dampers while I get the Sachs refurbished.

Also has any one fitted or considering fitting quality aftermarket shocks/springs or coilover kits to their Trophy?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:evil:

1. they should be replaced under warranty for that.
2. get them refurbed DO NOT throw them! I know you'd stated that but the dealer won't keep them - they're numpties.
3. get a pair of coilovers or to do the cheapest thing just a pair of off the shelf stuff to tide you over while the refurb is taking place.

Reaction score
Will the Trophy springs fit the 182Cup dampers if I go down that route? or will I also have to buy the Cup springs too?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I should start renting my spare set out :)

Not sure, I've got to measure the diameter of mine if you can wait until tomorrow.

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Got a call from a manager in Renault Customer Services. He's basically took into account the mileage of the car, the warranty thats left, ie the dealership warranty, which isn't as comprehensive at the first 2 year unlimited mileage manufacturer warranty, length of ownership of current car, whether I'd buy another Renault in the future and my past history of Renault ownership. Threw all that info into his system and has come up that they will cover 70% of the cost of replacement as a goodwill gesture as its still classed as a wear and tear item. Not the greatest news, but better than a smack in the chops of £1152 if I had to pay for myself. He would have only offered 50% had my previous history of Renault ownership had been less favourable. Just goes to show that some negotiation is possible if you are able to "expand" on the truth!!

Also because I'm paying 30%, it'll mean that the damper will be covered for a futher 12 months. The car will be going in tomorrow to have the new one fitted.

I will still get some 182Cup dampers for when the Sachs need a refurb, but I can now put that off for a later date.

Reaction score
Finally got my Trophy back, couldn't keep the old damper due to warranty reasons. Also got a new top mount for the new damper since the old one was "shattered"?!! :shock: The car feels even tauter than before and there is absolutely no slack in the handling. The damper must have been on its way out when I bought the car. Thought it handled fine at the time. :oops:

Still, I'm glad to hand back the 1.2 Twingo loan car, which has to be the slowest car I've ever driven. The car just doesn't accelerate no matter what gear you're in.