Reaction score
As an option what about shot blasting them only then refurb and finish with a wet spray which could be done locally and would cut down on the damage done during the rebuild and shipping?

SoS

Reaction score
As an option what about shot blasting them only then refurb and finish with a wet spray which could be done locally and would cut down on the damage done during the rebuild and shipping?

This is probably the best idea, get them blasted and primed then paint when assembled locally before fitting.

Reaction score
I had my dampers done by Simon earlier this year, had the full works and powder coating done too.

His turn around is slightly longer and he can be hard to get hold of but he did a great job and a majority of the time he is on his own. I also like the fact that when I went to see him he took his time to explain the process and didn't push me into anything.

Top bloke!

Reaction score
that is quite a price difference.......

what do you get from BG that you dont get from CF to warrant nearly £300 difference ?

SoS

Reaction score
I had my dampers done by Simon earlier this year, had the full works and powder coating done too.

His turn around is slightly longer and he can be hard to get hold of but he did a great job and a majority of the time he is on his own. I also like the fact that when I went to see him he took his time to explain the process and didn't push me into anything.

Top bloke!

I agree with this, I went to see him and was impressed with his setup and how the dampers perform, he certainly knows his stuff. Mine needed a small patch welding into the spring platform and he did this as well which brought the price up to £500 inc powder coating. My only issue was the damage to the coating, the first time Simon took them back to do again with no quibble. I would use him again, either wet painting before fitting or I would go up and collect and maybe get him to fit them as well.

SoS

Reaction score
that is quite a price difference.......

what do you get from BG that you dont get from CF to warrant nearly £300 difference ?

Also you need to add VAT and shipping to the CF pricing (BG include this in the £430), with unpinning and new valves I paid CF £225+VAT and £15 for shipping. I am not sure if BG fit new valves or unpin them.

BG can powder coat at £60+VAT for the pair, which is a lot cheaper than CF as Simon charges £55+VAT each.

It is good there is a choice for dampers now, if I needed them quickly I would go to BG, with more time I would go to CF.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Forgot to follow up on this thread. I did eventually get mine back from CF - just a lack of communication really. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate, just annoying at the time.

Simon did a nice job overall. They certainly felt firmer initially, but not overly firm. In the last couple of months they've softened a little (or I've got used to them). The car definitely stays flatter when cornering and is a big improvement on how it was before the refurb.

I would echo most of the above comments... if you're in a hurry, use BG, if not, CF do a nice job.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quick question - I had my dampers depinned by Simon back when I had them refurbed a while ago but have never thought of adjusting the clicks. I have found them a little firm so wondering if adjusting them slightly may be better?

How do you check what setting they are on now? What is the procedure for adjusting them? Sorry, bit of a noob when it comes to adjusting suspension!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You need turn them either all the way hard or soft counting the clicks. Then all the way in the opposite direction again counting the clicks. So now you know the full range (think mine was 43) and where yours currently are set. Renault pinned them at half way.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You need turn them either all the way hard or soft counting the clicks. Then all the way in the opposite direction again counting the clicks. So now you know the full range (think mine was 43) and where yours currently are set. Renault pinned them at half way.

Excellent, cheers!

Is it just a job you can do by hand, I.e. no tools? Also, which way is hard and which way is soft?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can't remember off the top of my head, they have a +/- with arrows on the top of the dial which if you jack the car up you should be able to see. Clean off all the shit before you start twisting away as well.