Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Trophy and wonder does anyone have knowledge of car No. 232/500?

I went to see this car yesterday at a local used car dealer and have a few concerns. The dealer is fitting new rear discs and shockers due to wear and tear (fairly common at this milage I understand) however the car was supposedly serviced at 40,000 miles (now reading 43k) by the previous used car dealer. If the rear discs were missed I can't believe they have done the all important aux belt change.

My concerns are that it appears the car was bought and sold within 3000 miles and so could have some issues. I have read on pistonheads that the 36k service is about £500 due to the aux belt change, is this true? Everything in my head screams walk away but the car looks great.

Can anyone throw a little light on what could be a great car?

Reaction score
changing the shocks..?...i'd be concerned !! cant imagine there would be enough profit in the car for the dealer to put new trophy Sachs units on...make sure you check this, the sachs shocks are silver with little hologram stickers...i'll post a picture later for you..

Reaction score
Apparantly the used car dealer has priced all the bits via Renault and found the prices "agreeable". The asking price was about £6700 depending how much work they would need to spend to get the car in A1 condition.

I know the cars had Sachs units on them but do the rears have the remote reservoirs. I could see them on the front but not on the rear. Would you have expected a big bill for the rear shocks?

Reaction score
rears dont have the remote reservoirs and are not adjuastable or servicable ..
not exactly sure how much genuine sachs rears are...around 10 x more that standard 182 cup ones though...
just make sure the fitted ones match the photo... :D

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys, guys. I will definitely check these details before handing money over.

Reaction score
let us know how you get on...be prepared to walk away if thinks aint right...plenty more fish in the sea...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the fronts cost half the price of the car - there's no way they'll replace the front shocks for OEM ones, if it is the fronts your on about.... i'd certainly keep a close eye on them - the rears are tricky to get hold of also as even dealers don't know which ones are the correct part.

Make sure you cross reference the part number for the rears to the one posted by power ranger.

Reaction score
The rear discs rust in less then 12m. Especially if it is a low mileage car. About £200 to fix.

Rear shocks are affordable to buy from Renault, the fronts I have refurbed at BG Motorsport at Silverstone - there's a thread on the forum. Good as new for about £400 + remove and refit.

I bought a Trophy a few months ago with a new MOT that I replaced the discs and pads all round on - obviously a subjective area. The struts were soft so had them refurbed. Therefore a £800 bill the prev owner got away with!

This is all part of owning a car that will likely never drop below £3000. Over ten years they work out at less than £500 per annum depreciation now.