Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yet another couple of questions......

The Trophy I bought last Saturday still has 2 months warranty remaining (the advance one), as it was bought by the last owner as a Renault used car only 10 months ago. I'm used to French cars having problems, but as I've still got this warranty I thought I should make the most of it. I have the below problems and hope some of you could shed some light on what/if anything can be done:

1) Usual knocking/skipping on full lock. Top mounts I assume, but the skipping is much worse than in my partners 1.4 si Clio. I won't accept the usual dealers response of "they all do that", but I hear Renaults solution has something to go with an angle grinder!! Has anyone had this problem solved by Renault? I don't think I'll enjoy the car with it as it is.

2) The alarm sometimes beeps twice even though all boot/bonnet/doors etc are fully closed, when I go to lock it. Any ideas. It also just went off by itself a few moments ago, but it is raining quite hard outside. Again, any ideas?

3) The engine (once warm) idles around 650-700 rpm, and is quite lumpy. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Graham

Reaction score
im getting the same knocking;skipping on full lock like the wheels are trying to go in different directions and the tires are being pushed sideways, also the lumpy idle, ive heard that these are both quite common and i can live with them both.

I do have a squeaky o/s damper though, although i'm still not sure its the damper [-o< I know I can get sachs to recondition them for a small fee but its the hassle! I might just do it for peace of mind as they also upgrade some stuff on it :S

I had a lot of high frequency vibration through the brakes today as well, was weird, not had it before, I'm hoping its just where I'm getting used to the car and the discs haven't warped or something.

other than that car feels solid, love it to bits :)

Reaction score
a few people on here have mentioned number 1 i dont think theres any problem there number 2 about the alarm mine does the same sometimes the alarm just clicks and sometimes it beeps twice i think its to do with the number of seconds you lock your car after you close the door there are different alarm options i think if you refer to your manual it will be mentioned there not sure about 3 doesnt sound too good but if you have warranty on the car then i would 100% make the most of it!

Reaction score
2) The internal sensors can be turned on and off, but i think you do this by turning the ignition off then straight back on, then off again and get out the car within 7 seconds or something and press button the the key. Sure someone will come along and correct this but its something like that. Also my alarm sometimes goes off if a very noisy car or van goes past it when its parked up. Only happened 2 or 3 times since i woned the car.

3) Think mine used to idle around 650 to 700 rpm, after RStuner Pro map it now idles much better, not lumpy at all, think its around 800 to 900.

1) As for the skipping on full lock, mine does this too but havent done anything about it yet, just had my alignment done so nothing to do with that.

Reaction score
do you still have the alarm incert page in your owners pack...? that explains the beeps and led flashes.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
1) I think Ajr was the most recent person to tackle this, i don't think you'll get a huge amount of joy out of Reno. It could be the top mounts though i have solid top mounts and it still does it occasionally, i still think it's a combination of things with the most likely culprit in my opinion the wishbone bushes but also hows tyre wear and pressure?

2) consult manual

3) Yeah can be pretty lumpy.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far!

1) Spoke to Renault today and as usual, they dodged any claim on the warranty by saying the top mounts are classed as wear and tear, even thaough they accept it's an inherant fault in the design. They said it would take 1.5 hours labour at 90 quid per hour (I need to change career!), and they would alter the shape of the mount from a circle to an oval.

So are solid top mounts a solution and are there any issues with having these? I've also read that just adding a washer also helps???

2) I have the alarm manual so I'll just read that.

3) The engine doesn't stall, but Renault have a 90 quid diagnostic fee for any warranty claims, so I may just ask for a quick look when my girlfriend takes her clio in to have the bonnet release checked. Did the bonnet release recall also apply to Trophys?

Thanks

Reaction score
1. My wifes 182 used to do this and my Trophy did not. Replaced the tyres on hers and it stopped doingit?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
1) Usual knocking/skipping on full lock. Top mounts I assume

I have recently had solid top mounts fitted and still have this issue... most likely something else.

The engine (once warm) idles around 650-700 rpm, and is quite lumpy. Is this normal?

My engine (once warm) idles at 900 rpm, it has never gone below this. Could be a fault with your auxiliary idling air valve?

Reaction score
manual says 4 bleeps when turning off ultrasonics...nothing about 2....the little led by the gearstick will also display the reason why the alarm has triggered if it ever goes off...