Reaction score
After 4 months of ownership my hair nearly all pulled out and my blood pressure sky high - I finally decided to make the change - and quite fitting that when I had fitted it the heavens opened!

What a difference, can't believe I hadnt done it sooner!

A recommended modification :)

Picture010.gif

Reaction score
is it really that good?

the standard one doesn't bother me as the trophy is my 2nd ever car, and my last car was the same...its what im used to.

G

I did 550 miles in the rain at the weekend and I would have appreciated one of these!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it may be one of those things that unless you've had a car that doesn't have an intermittent setting you may not notice it, but believe me the standard stalk should be changed regardless - the oem one is pants.

Reaction score
I never bothered as my last cars have all had rain sensing wipers... so anything manual was going to be just that: manual! The next step up from the basic setting has to be sensing wipers...

I wonder if anyone has ever retrofitted? What a job it would be having to fit all the wiring and a new windscreen... yikes!

Reaction score
My last car had rain sensing wipers and everything before that had an intermittent wipe but for some reason the lack of one in the Trophy hasnt bothered me - yet! Maybe its because it doesnt see much rain ;)

I think the thing that would actually put me off is the risk of creating a squeek or creak from taking off the lower cowling and re-fitting. I fitted a MOMO steering wheel to one of my old cars many years back and it was just never the same, the cowling was lined up perfectly but used to creak and groan when you put on a little bit lock - used to do my head in!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
LOL Is that all your worried about, i can't see how that would happen but even if it did it would just merge with the symphony of rattles and creaks that are reno.

Reaction score
The cowlings snap together nicely - no creaking :wink:

Job took about 10 mins from start to finish - well worth it IMO

Reaction score
Hmm, 10 min job makes it very tempting Dave but i really dont want to risk adding to the 'symphony of rattles and creaks' as Hoolio so eloquently put it ;)

Reaction score
Read the 'How to' guide first though Luke, otherwise you may find the stereo control stalk fiddly to remove

Also the stupidly big steering wheel doesn't make your life any easier

Reaction score
I must be weird I prefer Tropy stick to my other two clios especially auto wipers on 172 - they were RUBBISH!!

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the auto wipers on 182FF but the intermittent setting on the Trophy was a bit of a joke - the screen doesnt even have time to get wet and there off again AND that relay clicking away every millisecond (swear)

Of course, thats only my opinion :D

Reaction score
It is a pain agreed. So do you just buy a normal stalk from renault then and swap over :? Is it expensive/hard work ??

Friend of mine was pulled over the other day for driving with his foglights on. Basically he got a lecture and then quite funnily the copper asked "would you drive with your windscreen wipers on if it wasnt rainning ?" :lol: guess in a trophy the answer might be yes.

G

The clicking thing is worthy of wanting to set fire to your own car. :twisted:

Reaction score
Yeah you just order a normal wiper stalk, part number of the one I ordered is 7701051763

It's a piece of p*ss to fit, takes about 10 minutes,its just a simple plug and play

Think the stalk cost me about £35 - summit like that

Reaction score
I regularly swap between driving my Trophy and the wifes Clio which has the rain sensing wipers etc. Can say I really notice that much, I think I just don't use intermittent on the Trophy I use the manual method of on and off.

I think when I first went to use wipers in the Trophy I was a bit disappointed they weren't as good as the other one, but I soon got over it. There are too many other good things (and roads to drive on) to worry about it :D.

Also I did post a picture a while back of the original demo Trophy that has the proper wipers fitted if anyone remembers?

Just found it again was in http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1832

R_2331-.jpg

Reaction score
Can't imagine not having the variable setting now, there's no way I would have endured the 700 mile drive home yesterday through every type of rain imaginable without it.

The relay clicking is so French, even the indicator sounds like one, drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Nice spot Tholman with the original press release pic!

Maybe we should all go back to Renault clutching that pic and inform them that we obviously have the wrong wiper stalk fitted - i'm sure they would be more than happy to help ;)

Reaction score
It's so obvious to me now that they obviously had more cheapo stalks to use up. I suppose the better ones are more useful in the parts department so they decided to keep those.

I've just had to replace the gear gaiter as the original literally fell apart driving through France, this wasn't related to me replacing the gear knob as that went on ages ago. It seems both plastic tabs at the front of the gaiter snapped off. Luckily for me the gaiter only costs £5.02 (not covered under warranty apparently - what a joke) and is a doddle to fit. It looks and feels a lot nicer than the old one, strangely. The vinyl material is obviously coated to feel like leather for just long enough for the car to leave the forecourt.