Reaction score
Hello!

My first post on here and was just hoping for a bit of information to help me along the way.

Thinking of selling my 172 cup and wanting to upgrade to a 182 trophy, i've looked at alternatives and feel the 182 trophy would be a great choice for me - has anyone else had a similar experience from a 172 to a trophy or similar?

I've currently got a budget of approx £7000 and having been having a look on here in the Cars for Sale section.

Can anyone give me some generaly pointers of things to look out for with the 182 trophy, i've had a read up regarding the Dampers Refurb being done and belts but are there any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Take the VIN number/ reg into your local renault garage and they can tell you what warranty work has been carried out on it.

Check the exhaust, they are rubbish and fall off.

Check the car had a FULL 5 year/60k service not just a cambelt change.

Reaction score
You should be able to get a very good one for that money, i would say the main thing is making sure all services are up to date, belts being the main one obviousely, and im pretty sure if you know anything about cars you'll be able to tell if its been looked after, you could check the splitters still on, these seem to get smashed off and are £100+ for a genuine one, unless you get a skoda one

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Coming from a 172 Cup you should be able to spot things as they are pretty similar. I would do as BoroGTI says and look for servicing etc. Cambelt etc as all of them are due around now (5 years).

I did the same as you, owned a 172 Cup and then moved to a Trophy. The extra handling is great! The turn in felt a lot more positive in the T compared to the Cup. My Cup felt faster, but I have more confidence with the T going into corners faster then I would have done in the Cup.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - nice to know that you came from a 172 cup to a trophy and noticed the difference.

Hopefully getting rid of mine within the next 2 weeks so will be on the lookout for a trophy from here!

Reaction score
I went from a 106 gti to the T, i must say i miss the little go kart but the trophy's just so much fun in corners, being lightweight isnt everything :wink:

Reaction score
I had 2 106 gti's and then a ff182 before the Trophy! Loved the 106's! Great little cars, loved the ff182 but the Trophy is so much better than both!

Reaction score
Sounds good! Hoping might have mine gone in the next fortnight so will be on the look out from there after :)

Reaction score
I've had them both & im not sure a Trophy is worth £5k over a 172 Cup.

In fact. It isnt.

Just get some H&R's for the cup.

is1

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
I've had them both & im not sure a Trophy is worth £5k over a 172 Cup.

In fact. It isnt.

Just get some H&R's for the cup.

Well said. 172 Cup to Trophy is hardly an upgrade (heavy Recaros and air con adding a bit of weight too). An upgrage for upgrade's sake I'd say. Wasn't the 172 Cup quicker than a Trophy around EVO's test track at the Bedford Autodrome? And EVO "love" the Trophy.

Just get decent suspension set-up on your Cup, particularly as you'll probably budget for that for a Trophy anyway.
Unless of course you want one because it's a "limited edition" only to then spot lots of others (like I did) just after you've bought it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
is1 said:
Unless of course you want one because it's a "limited edition" only to then spot lots of others (like I did) just after you've bought it.

Poor you. I could argue this but really.........................

is1

Reaction score
hoolio said:
is1 said:

Poor you. I could argue this but really.........................

This comment was made somewhat "tongue in cheek" (to substantiate the notion that "the grass is always greener ...", "next car will always be better (but not always)" etc.) and is the least important part of the post.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
And I think you are missing the point of the Trophy, apart from the fact it's not all about the dampers, you can make any car drive/handle the way you want it/to your style with a bit a knowledge and money. The fact is "out of the box" the T is a fantastic without the need to upgrade much and you will generally have a newer/cleaner/lower mileage car that will keep it's value a little better than a 172 hedge strimmer.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
will keep it's value a little better than a 172 hedge strimmer.

Really :lol:

A £2.5k cup is worth £2k in parts, so it will depreciate an absolute max of £500 over the life of the vehicle.

A 182 Trophy will cost £6.5k, & is worth £2.5k in parts. Thats £4k in depreciation over the life of the vehicle.

I should know, i sold a mint expensive trophy & bought a cheap miley one to avoid such costs.

Reaction score
Sir D - Interested to note that you bought a Trophy all the same.. :lol:

Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with the 172 - it's a great value ride, don't buy a Trophy if you want to upgrade though buy a Trophy 'cos they are a little bit special.......

is1

Reaction score
For all the wisdom being imparted on here, I suspect that our friend has probably made his (or her?) mind up.
Just like we did - there's no going back! And good for them.
I wonder if they have a blue 172 Cup with Turinis - I think they are lovely.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, some interesting points noted.

I like the fact theres a limited number of them, plus they have a great suspsension setup as mine is currently standard with springs. Also I get the extras with the likes of aircon/cruise control etc. that I would get in the cup so.

I decided on the trophy as its something I will enjoy for the 7k mark and will hold its value should I ever come to sell it!