Reaction score
Now I have my Trophy, which I chose because it would be a fast car on track without modification, I realise, that modifying cars is just too much fun to go without, so I will be modifying the Trophy :)

Just for a bit of fun, and maybe to make the fun last, and perhaps to help others evaluate the mods, I am going to do the mods in order, and evaluate them on track one step at a time, so that the impact of each mod can be judged.

To remain objective, I will be logging my lap times with one of these:

:oops: OK, I give up, the picture is at the bottom of post :oops:

I will be using the Castle Combe racetrack primarily, although other facilities may be visited at times :wink:

Now for the mods. This is a bit of a first draft, and some of the mods may not ever get done, their order may get jumbled, and others I am now not aware of may get added. The car is completely standard now, on 16000 miles and on a new set of Exalto's. I thought to start with a fully standard car to set a benchmark, but have on reflection decided for safety reasons to upgrade the brakes prior to the first session. The brakes will be Brembo HC, Pagid RS 4-2, Motul 600 brake fluid and braided hoses. Rears will remain standard. The car will get an oil change and brake fluid change before the first and after every track day, in addition to regular servicing. This is the order I am thinking for the mods, starting with cheapest and working up:

1. standard car
2. un-pinned dampers
3. CQ Lock
4. camber change (-2 degs front)
5. uprated front damper mounts
6. whiteline ARB (rear)
7. driver 4 point harness
8. track wheels with R-rated tyres
9. mark fish lowering springs
10. adjustable rear shocks
11. LSD
12. bucket seats
13. cam kit
14. stripping and caging

Logically, I am expecting a little bit of an improvement with each step, and obviously as my knowledge of CC grows so will my timesimprove, but I am still quite excited about it as a concept. :twisted: First day out will be March 14th, I plan to update this thread as I go along.

Wish me luck. [/url]

Attachments

• pbox.jpg
    pbox.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 532
Reaction score
1. standard car with improved front brakes.
2. un-pinned dampers
3. track wheels with R-rated tyres
8. mark fish lowering springs

Wouldn't bother with the rest.

You forgot, free flow exhaust & induction kit, defo one of the first mods.

Fri 14th March i'm doing Silverstone GP circuit, with a few others off CT 8-[ (wave)

Reaction score
g40steve said:
1. standard car with improved front brakes.
2. un-pinned dampers
3. track wheels with R-rated tyres
8. mark fish lowering springs

(wave)

I would also add re-valved Koni rear adjustables and solid front top mounts. :wink:

Reaction score
@g40steve - Not sure that I agree, but we will see :wink: in my experience the mods you dropped out have been quite effective, if in different cars. The jury is out on the CQ lock, and also the ARB. The others I definitely plan, though may not necessarily get around to :roll:

The engine will stay standard. Induction and free flow exhaust on a NA 2 litre will liberate bugger all, and I can do without the noise issues. Definitely not a good bang for buck mod as weight reduction is far more effective, and cheaper. If, and it's a big if, I decide to mess around with the engine, it will be a more substantial cam/headwork conversion, possibly including air flow modifications along the system. I doubt it though, it is expensive, and the gains in time on a track are just not that impressive.

Shame I did not know about the Silverstone event, could have gone there instead. All booked now :cry:

@7MAT - yes the adjustable rear dampers are on the list. Good call on the suspension mounts, yes that should go on the list, especially as it seems an economic and good solution is available via the CS group buy item. Also forgot bucket seats, must add those :) and a better steering wheel :D

Reaction score
g40steve said:
^^ the weight of the standard exhaust is a real shock!

The ex & ind kit have totally changed car for the better, revs freer & stronger esp high up the rev range.

Oh yeah? :eek: I am all ears, what is the weight difference?

The easier reving would be the biggest benefit that I see, but the standard car picks up pretty well, so I don't 'feel the need' :wink: ...yet :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Vamos, i'm 2 seconds quicker from 20-100mph with my mods, weight reduction may shave another 0.5 - 1 second max i'd have thought, even stripped to the bones.

Reaction score
Cue said:
Vamos, i'm 2 seconds quicker from 20-100mph with my mods, weight reduction may shave another 0.5 - 1 second max i'd have thought, even stripped to the bones.

Well a modest weight reduction of a hundred kilos is equivalent to adding 20 bhp, so I am not sure about those numbers? :?

Granted, as you approach higher speeds, the ability to negate air resistance with more power will become more of a factor, but I would postulate, based on gut feel, that this factor is outweighed by increased apex speed, and reduced braking distances of lower weight. Bear in mind that I am not interested in straightline acceleration (as such), but in seconds around a track.

I bet that stripped to the bones, you could take 200kg out of the Trophy. Anyone know what the Cup Race cars weigh? 900kg?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
granted, cornering speeds, acceleration and braking improvements would be better than just power increases for pure track work.