Reaction score
Hi all,

been looking at getting a second car, and a Trophy has always been on the list...:)

Have saw one and put a deposit down, but as it's so far away haven't been able to inspect it.

There's no info about whether the dampers have any attention, so I'm assuming they won't have had a refurb, and the car has covered 77k. Is it likely that they will be knackered? What should I look out for?

Don't want to travel for hours to be disappointed, and knowing me I'll end up taking it anyway!

Cheers,

Ross

Reaction score
Where is the car?

Things I would look at is the oil cap see if it's milky if it is don't touch it.

Check the oil itself. Press the corners down and it really shouldn't move much or any at all.
Don't kick the tyres just check the tread.

Listen for any rattles aftermarket exhausts can hide this.

Ask about belt and service history. Mines doesn't have any but I don't think people buy them and not look after them. Personal opinion.

Make sure there isn't any knocking from the front but if there is then not to worry probs ball joint or something along the lines of this. When driving it give it some stink when going up the road should grip and have no flat spots.

Just some general advise. If it does go tits up the cars worth a lot in parts.

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply...

It's in Wales, and I'm in Glasgow :)

Guaranteed I'll bring it home when I see it, just need a heads up about what to expect. Don't really want to get hit by a big bill for the dampers soon after buying it. Are they driveable at all if they're not perfect?

Would get them refurbed asap obviously...

Cheers mate

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply...

It's in Wales, and I'm in Glasgow :)

Guaranteed I'll bring it home when I see it, just need a heads up about what to expect. Don't really want to get hit by a big bill for the dampers soon after buying it. Are they driveable at all if they're not perfect?

Would get them refurbed asap obviously...

Cheers mate

Come and look at mine before traveling to Wales. I'm near Stirling so only 20 miles away, mine is for sale on here - no 259. You should look at more than one anyway.

Reaction score
if you are around glasgow i can take you a blast in mines aswell once the water pump has been fixed. give me a mail and can sort it out

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Where is the car?

Things I would look at is the oil cap see if it's milky if it is don't touch it.

Check the oil itself. Press the corners down and it really shouldn't move much or any at all.
Don't kick the tyres just check the tread.

Listen for any rattles aftermarket exhausts can hide this.

Ask about belt and service history. Mines doesn't have any but I don't think people buy them and not look after them. Personal opinion.

Make sure there isn't any knocking from the front but if there is then not to worry probs ball joint or something along the lines of this. When driving it give it some stink when going up the road should grip and have no flat spots.

Just some general advise. If it does go tits up the cars worth a lot in parts.

Probably best not to listen to any of this advice, read old posts on the subjects you are unsure about and get to look a more than one before you buy.

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why isn't there a single port of call for this question, which comes up regularly from potential owners looking at Trophy ownership.

I'm going to propose someone starts a detailed yet succinct, organised post containing all useful info. Any subsequent additions can be edited into the single master post, which if it was a sticky, would be most helpful to wannabe owners.

Many people come here to find out what it's like to own a Trophy and the response they get from the owners club is, "use the search". We're the ones in the know, let's do all we can to help them and give ourselves a better name in the process.

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why isn't there a single port of call for this question, which comes up regularly from potential owners looking at Trophy ownership.

I'm going to propose someone starts a detailed yet succinct, organised post containing all useful info. Any subsequent additions can be edited into the single master post, which if it was a sticky, would be most helpful to wannabe owners.

Many people come here to find out what it's like to own a Trophy and the response they get from the owners club is, "use the search". We're the ones in the know, let's do all we can to help them and give ourselves a better name in the process.

the reason they ask us is because they are not looking them selves, they would just sooner make a post. although a sticky seems like a good idea, no one will read it

Reaction score
the reason they ask us is because they are not looking them selves, they would just sooner make a post. although a sticky seems like a good idea, no one will read it

But there are so few people on here, why not ask and develop some conversation. Stating "use the search" or "look on cliosport" is counterproductive to a forum in declining users.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm in the market for a Trophy and looking to buy in September so as a potential user of the guide I would find it very informative

I have found answers to most questions just by browsing but a checklist would be great

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
This is why we need active mods/admin as said before.

I agree with the sticky 'buyers Guide' 100%

May be something like this one for the Vee

http://v6clio.net/forum/knowledge/kb_show.php?id=17

I totally agree that the forum needs looked after more often with things being looked after, information written up and maybe some parts of the forum removed as there is no activity in them and if there is its once in a blue moon.