Ric

Reaction score
I've noticed that if I drive about 100 yards without much steering lock (upto 10 or 15 mph) then turn full lock I don't get the knocking, even when freezing. If I have to apply full lock straight away though it almost always happens. Does this mean it could just be the ABS check?

Reaction score
It is the same in my car Ric, if I drive for a few meters then apply full lock, there is no knock, but if I apply a fair amount of lock straight away then the knock is always there.

Guys on the R'sport forum believe it is the top mounts, which apparently Renault have a mod for, so my plan is to take it back to the dealership, tell them there is a mod for it and see what they can do this time. If they fail to solve it again, I will start taking it to as many different dealers as I need to until one of them manages to solve it!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My 172 did it the whole of the time I had it and my 182 does the same. It's never worried me to be honest, there doesnt seem to be any side effects apart from the knock.

I'd rather have the odd clunk as I pull away on full lock every now and again than have some Renault monkey attack my suspension with an angle grinder!!! :shock:

Reaction score
Is that what they do Nik for the top mount mod? Take an angle grinder to the suspension! If that is what they do then I am thinking the same as you, no way I want a Renault techie taking an angle grinder to my car!

I was just worried that there would be other effects caused by this knock.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, this is what was done on 172's anyway.

Apparently the top of the struts can catch the edge of the hole in the suspension turrets that they are bolted through so the renault fix was to grind some of it off. I'll see if I can find a technote for it on the Dialogys CD.

Reaction score
Yup i now have heard the knocking. Like some of you only when v cold in the morning and when i'm reversing off the drive. Don't hear it other times. See how we go.