Reaction score
Just back from 3 days away going round scotland.Been wanting to do this for ages !

Left Dundee Monday morning and headed over to go up Loch Lomand,over to lochgilphead then up to Oban.
Tuesday went from Oban to Glencoe,Fort William,Glen Nevis then upto Applecross.
Wednesday went from Applecross to bottom of Loch Lomand upto Inverness then back down the A9 to Dundee.

In all had a great time,crap weather mon and wed but tues was sunshine,some really great windy roads for going up and down the gears.Heard good things about the Applecross pass and although great views from the top thought the road was one of the worst driving roads ive been on.Cant get more than 20-30mph as the roads so narrow 'single pass road' and gravelly with nasty drops at the side you definitely dont want to go over and far too steep in places.Thought my car was going to be stone chipped to hell but turned out ok.

Best roads were from lochgilphead upto oban,around glencoe and the A87 onto the A887.

Heres a few pics from the trip '670 miles in total' taken from my iphone so not the best.

Loch Lomand

Oban

Wee Archie

Ben Nevis

Glen Nevis

Eilean Donan Castle

Applecross

Nessyland by Lochness

Oh and Jimmy Savilles Glencoe Hideaway

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this in the summer. I'd love to just explore the country and drive some great roads.

pol

Reaction score
Done a fairly similar trip a few weeks back with the Mrs and really enjoyed it.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Any places that are a must see? Or even 'must drive' roads?

Applecross gets loads of drivers / bikes on it, I believe its a scottish version of the Island of Man TT

Reaction score
A great drive, it's journeys like this that make you love your car!

I'd recommend the old A82 route to Kinlochleven, miss the new bridge and take the old road around the loch. It is a great road full of lovely corners, and so quiet these days.

pol

Reaction score
a82 from fort william up to inverness is great if you get it clear of traffic.
a87 is a great road i would add that starting on the a887 is even better, just watch for the single track bits.
a816 oban to lochgilphead
a815 invereary to dunoon
a84 & a85 crainlarach to crieff/doune roads
a70 m74 to cumnock
coast road to north berwick and beyond from prestonpans.

theres loads of stuff down in borders, fife, glasgow edinburgh, etc as well. best option is to stick a pin in the map and use a/b roads to get there. loads of great roads and you don't need to be going fast to enjoy them.