Reaction score
I've never been happy with the seating position due to the height the Recaros are mounted at so I took the passenger seat out at the weekend to see if anything could be done to lower it.

It appears that the seat height could be lowered by a couple of inches by swapping the mounting frames for some custom made ones. The seat postion adjuster handle would also need to be modified / removed.

Has anyone had any custom made frames made up or looked into it?

Cheers,
Hoz.

Reaction score
i'd be worried about re-mounting the seat belt pre tensioners, and the final finnish on any custom made sub frame etc, i'd doubt if would be as simple as you suggest otherwise someone would have done it by now....but i could be wrong

Reaction score
I agree this is something which isn't quite right in the Trophy.

Personally, I like to sit under the steering wheel rather than over it. The current seating position I use does seem to improve it though.

Firstly, I have the steering wheel on the highest setting. Then I sit a little bit closer to the wheel than perhaps normal but not so close that its cramped. Lastly, I have the seat tilted backwards slightly rather than sitting bolt up right which still provides good shoulder support. Add to that harnesses and thin pants lol it feels as good as you can get.

It would be nice to see if something proper can be done without compromise though.

Reaction score
yep had a proper look at the seat and i'd definatley say there would be problems with pre-tensioner mechanism...it sits off the subframe, buy moving the subframe down the height on the pre tensioner will rise in relation to the seat base...when you put you seat belt on the clip could be above your lap !...not good.
i could be wrong though.
i've never had issues with the seat position.

Reaction score
son of solo said:
yep had a proper look at the seat and i'd definatley say there would be problems with pre-tensioner mechanism...it sits off the subframe, buy moving the subframe down the height on the pre tensioner will rise in relation to the seat base...when you put you seat belt on the clip could be above your lap !...not good.
i could be wrong though.
i've never had issues with the seat position.

You could be right. I was thinking there was scope to lower it slightly on a new frame, to offset the reduction in seat height. However, to keep the same proportions between clip and seat base only a limited reduction is possible.

There is a solution though; just do away with the whole mechanism and fit a harness. I suppose that's what the seats were originally designed to take.

I'd rather not have to put on a harness every time I jump in the car, but I'd be willing to do it for a lower seating position.

Hoz.

Reaction score
When i gutted my interior an obvious way to lower the standard seats would be to remove the plastic spacers they sit on, that should get you lower by around 15mm. I've not done it myself so can't comment on what it's like after removing them, but then again i've done away with the recaro's anyway as i'm sure most of you know now.

Oh and Jeremy of Renaultsport Uk was suiably enchanted by my lack of interior, claiming it's the most stripped of any road car he's ever seen :lol: :lol:
So much so he got the official Photographer at Brands Hatch too take some interior shots :lol: :lol:

Chris

Reaction score
Remove the spacers where the seat is bolted to the floor, the carpet will catch in the runners so you cant move the seat back and forward but you can do what i have done:

What i done with my Recaros is put 2 little washers under the seats where each spacer used to be, this still lowers the seats a big amount but not as much as no spacers (obviously) and you can freely move the seats.

I'd say 2/4 weeks after using the washers and moving the seat back and forward every now and again REMOVE all the washers to lower the seat height even more.

You'll find the carpet has flattened enough for the seats to still move without the spacers or washers, all be it at first a bit stiffer than usual.

Reaction score
Stevie said:
Curley, does that involve taking the seat out?

Yeah, seats and runners would need removed. Runners are removed by removing the nuts from underneath the car I believe.

Hoz.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I found the seating positions in the 172 were stupidly uncomfortable but the Trophy is perfect, a lot less figiting on long journeys - perhaps they are suited best for my height.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Personally I have always found the seats in the trophy incredibly unconfortable. :(

Within about 30mins they give me back ache, and no matter what I do with the position it never goes away.

And having now been on track I think they offer very little in lateral support. I had the seat back near vertical and still had to strain my upper body to keep unpright. I'm sure harnesses would help this matter.

I'm now seriously thinking about an upgrade, including lowering the seat.

Reaction score
Stevie said:
Curley, does that involve taking the seat out?

Not out but its easier to. You can tilt it back and remove the spacers then vice versa but taking it out will only take a couple of seconds more.

As said you need to undo the bolt from under the car.. two near the sill under the door and two in the heat shield at the middle of the car.

Reaction score
I initially found the seating position 'a bit not right'. I must be used to it now as it doesn't bother me.

If you do get some custom subframes made i would get the welding done by pro's and have them non-destructively tested to boot. Beats going through the windscreen :lol:

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
Personally I have always found the seats in the trophy incredibly unconfortable. :(

Within about 30mins they give me back ache, and no matter what I do with the position it never goes away.

And having now been on track I think they offer very little in lateral support. I had the seat back near vertical and still had to strain my upper body to keep unpright. I'm sure harnesses would help this matter.

I'm now seriously thinking about an upgrade, including lowering the seat.

Interesting, this doesn't strictly follow the topic but felt I should mention - i found the seats uncomfortable over long journeys at first, however once I made sure that I was sitting well back into the seat, pushing the base of my back into the seat back and having the seat upright, I haven't had any problems. I have also invested in a CG lock which really helps to do the above by tightening and locking the lap belt but still allowing the chest belt to slacken. The CG also helps to reduce any lateral movement within the seat - may be worth trying one out?

Reaction score
Like I said, i've tried everything, including making sure i'm not slouching. I have thought about a CG lock thingy, but it's more my upper body that is moving about. I would be better investing in a harness. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
Like I said, i've tried everything, including making sure i'm not slouching. I have thought about a CG lock thingy, but it's more my upper body that is moving about. I would be better investing in a harness. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't find the seat particularly uncomfortable, and they certainly look nice, but they definitely don't 'hug' you as well you'd expect. The seats in many other cars give much better lateral and thigh support. I definitely think harnesses will improve the lateral support by keeping your back pinned to the seat.

My main gripe's definitely the height. I prefer to be sat so low that it feels like my a$$ cheeks are near scraping the tarmac. At the minute it feels like I'm sat in a dining room chair. I'll definitely be removing the spacers at the weekend but I'm not convinced it's going to make a big enough difference.

Hoz.