Reaction score
Right, I'm about to sound like a right novice, but is the Trophy rear suspension much different to a normal 182 cup?

Reaction score
Ok, so in theory the thing that gives the Trophy the great handling is the front suspension set up with the remote reservoirs?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lee G said:
Ok, so in theory the thing that gives the Trophy the great handling is the front suspension set up with the remote reservoirs?

in essence yes, but the springs are also different and, so i'm told, they tweeked part of the geometry also - don't know how true this is, it maybe just mktg speel.

Reaction score
Right, but 7MAT (I think) has had new lower springs fitted and the geometry on his Trophy set up by Mark Fish. Which apparently is even better than the std Trophy.

And there is no reason why you couldn't have the above done to say a normal 172 or 182, use some Trophy front legs (complete) with the Trophy Sachs rear dampers and you have a pretty well sorted suspension set up for virtually any RS Clio you like. :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lee G said:
Right, but 7MAT (I think) has had new lower springs fitted and the geometry on his Trophy set up by Mark Fish. Which apparently is even better than the std Trophy.

And there is no reason why you couldn't have the above done to say a normal 172 or 182, use some Trophy front legs (complete) with the Trophy Sachs rear dampers and you have a pretty well sorted suspension set up for virtually any RS Clio you like. :D

never been in mat's car so can't comment on it being better than std - i'd have thought it would be though. you're right about the suspension on the 172/182. It'd be immediately noticeable on before and after drives.

Reaction score
Lee G said:

No reason at all, bigpeaches claims to have a full Trophy set-up. As long as you remember to fit lighter wheels (preferably Speedline Turini's as the fine tuning was done with these fitted) as a considerable part of the handling characteristcs will be down to the reduced unsprung weight. A 172 Cup would make an ideal starting point, same wheels apart from the offset and a bit older so more worthwhile binning the suspension and replacing it. A 1000kg Clio with Trophy suspension and set-up all for £6-7K? Nice.

Reaction score
By all accounts thought the Trophy suspension is the best part of £3500 and you have to have a Trophy log bog to be able to order it....

My take is that Renault didn't cut any corners with the Trophy. The suspsension setup is bespoke to the car at huge cost, so why tamper with it? If people are focussed on track work fine, but why start with a Trophy? A set of slicks on a 172 will make it faster than a Trophy....

Reaction score
chiefsilverback said:
By all accounts thought the Trophy suspension is the best part of £3500 and you have to have a Trophy log bog to be able to order it....

My take is that Renault didn't cut any corners with the Trophy. The suspsension setup is bespoke to the car at huge cost, so why tamper with it? If people are focussed on track work fine, but why start with a Trophy? A set of slicks on a 172 will make it faster than a Trophy....

=D>

Tuned for British B roads, not for the track, if it was track-biased it wouldn't have done so well in the motoring press, not to say the Trophy isn't a brilliant track car, it was just fine tuned to be a great drivers car on British roads, If I wanted a track car, I would start with a much cheaper and lighter 172 Cup.

Reaction score
Yep, I'm not planning on doing anything to the Trophy, however, I happened to have come across a spare set of Trophy front legs - complete. Therefore, I'm thinking of a transplant to a stripped out 172 Ph1, complete with a smart rear set up too. Just looking at options really :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
your the ebayer then...... wondered who got them. pick up a cat d 172/cup, perfect project car.

having said that if i was after a track car i'd think about something with a lower centre of gravity....

al

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
No reason at all, bigpeaches claims to have a full Trophy set-up. As long as you remember to fit lighter wheels (preferably Speedline Turini's as the fine tuning was done with these fitted) as a considerable part of the handling characteristcs will be down to the reduced unsprung weight. A 172 Cup would make an ideal starting point, same wheels apart from the offset and a bit older so more worthwhile binning the suspension and replacing it. A 1000kg Clio with Trophy suspension and set-up all for £6-7K? Nice.

Bigpeaches?

This one:
0242.jpg

0288.jpg

Reaction score
Cue said:
your the ebayer then...... wondered who got them. pick up a cat d 172/cup, perfect project car.

having said that if i was after a track car i'd think about something with a lower centre of gravity....

Lower centre of gravity, half the weight, RWD..... Maybe a Caterham or a Fisher?

Reaction score
I'd like to build my own track car one day, from scratch, using a tubular chassis, sort of like the Aerial Atom, I'd make it as light as possible with a relatively low powered 500cc bike engine (100bhp), 350kg and 100bhp with loads of grip, you wouldn't even need to brake for the corners, it would be a hoot.

Reaction score
Cue said:

Yep, bit of a bargain really. :D