Reaction score
i some times get a quite ticking sound when my trophy is idling. usually when its been running for a while. it is due its major service but my other trophy does it aswell ? so dont no weather or not this is normal ?? any one elses does it ??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If all you have is a "quiet" ticking noise coming from your engine you're doing better than most of us as they tend to be pretty noisey and sometimes a little rough.
So you have two Trophy's? If that is doing it as well I wouldn't worry but with both needing the cam belt doing any time soon its going to be expensive.

Reaction score
Not as expensive as EVO mags Nick Trott who reckons on spending £1750 on a 5 year service plus brakes on his Clio V6!!

If your noise is related to engine revs ( like a click each time the motor does a revolution) then check the belts carefully - or to be safe get them changed anyway as hoolio suggests.

Reaction score
I have a similar sound every now and then? Only when the car is warm. Sometimes its there sometimes its not. Its not due a cambelt just yet as mine was changed under warranty in 2007. However the noise does match engine revs, but the noise disappears at around 2k-2.5k revs? I spoke to Tom at JMS and he said its unlikely its a dephaser as the engine sounds like a diesel apparently. He also said that it may be the carbon canister, something like that? However I am going to book it in to get checked.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've heard all sorts, Carbon Canister, Hydrolic Lifters, Injectors, Dephaser Pully.

As far as I am aware if it is the Carbon Canister the noise will be coming from behind the drivers front headlight, have a look? I think its the solenoid on top of the canister that is at fault and you can unplug it to test it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes my answer was a little glib, I meant that I don't think you should worry too much, the latest "thing" to worry about is the dephaser pulley but as above if that goes its noisey, just point it out when you get it serviced.

Reaction score
Next time you hear it, stick your head under the bonnet and see if you can locate it more closely.
Is it a regulare tick?
If not, it could well just be the sound that all engines can make as oil and water have been circulating, causing expansion, and then contraction in your pipes and waterways.

Reaction score
alolympic said:
Next time you hear it, stick your head under the bonnet and see if you can locate it more closely.
Is it a regulare tick?
If not, it could well just be the sound that all engines can make as oil and water have been circulating, causing expansion, and then contraction in your pipes and waterways.

Thats the thing, when i try and listen for the noise when the bonnet is up, I cant hear it at all? Weird :?

Probably a super dooper power tick lol

Reaction score
I mentioned this to Birchdown, after a run out and I come to a stop the ticking starts up, but as soon as you apply a little throttle the ticking gets faster then shuts up. They said it could be the charcoal canister which do make a ticking noise. After that the hydraulic lifters can make the noise described. It is a very hard noise to find out where it's coming from as you can hear it more clear inside the car

Reaction score
Gib#244 said:
I mentioned this to Birchdown, after a run out and I come to a stop the ticking starts up, but as soon as you apply a little throttle the ticking gets faster then shuts up. They said it could be the charcoal canister which do make a ticking noise. After that the hydraulic lifters can make the noise described. It is a very hard noise to find out where it's coming from as you can hear it more clear inside the car

Basically identical to mine. Tom@JMS said its probably not carbon/charcoal canister as these are not matched to engine revs.

Reaction score
cheers guys !! overall it sounds like there's nothing to worry about, just that trophy's and idle like shit. :lol: need to get ma trophy serviced though :(

Reaction score
ohhh .... and when is the next trophy meet i aint been to one and i want to go !

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
[quote="Gib#244":gxequ9zl]I mentioned this to Birchdown, after a run out and I come to a stop the ticking starts up, but as soon as you apply a little throttle the ticking gets faster then shuts up. They said it could be the charcoal canister which do make a ticking noise. After that the hydraulic lifters can make the noise described. It is a very hard noise to find out where it's coming from as you can hear it more clear inside the car

Basically identical to mine. Tom@JMS said its probably not carbon/charcoal canister as these are not matched to engine revs.[/quote:gxequ9zl]

My Cambelt and AUX have been changed , but at nxt service I'll ask them again to have a listen as see..... but yeah its nothing really to worry about as the clio engines all sound rough!