Reaction score
I have a problem with it.

When I go round a corner it feels quite light and tends to understeer and feel light at the front end. Furthermore if I push even slightly more the back end comes round. At first I thought I had it wrong but as daft as it sounds I went out to see if I did and provoke it slightly. Both corners in question were right handers. One a sharp the other a longer one which steepens out at the end.

The first when at the apex and accelerating it would feel as if it would slip and the back end go light.

The second was a bit sharper but not going as fast and the rear end came straight out.

Tyre pressure have been checked 33/31 and I have legal tread. It's a few mm from the wear indicators? Bit concerning really.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tyre pressures slightly high, the PE2's go off really badly the closer to the wear markers you get, greasy roads and hopefully not but dampers.

Reaction score
Hmm, when I got it the car was quite low on the rears so got 2 new tyres and swapped them front to rear... Anyway, when I first got it, it was of similar wearing on the tyres and it still felt like it was on rails. I'm not arsed if it does need new rears or front rebuild etc just want to take it to someone I trust and knows what they're doing with it. It's a pretty difficult thing to say to someone, yeah if you turn in sharp or go slightly quick the car spins etc.

Reaction score
I'd start as hoolio mentioned with the tyre pressures, drop them down a psi to see how it feels and take it from there.

Reaction score
Ok and when I get it up on a ramp to look at, how can I tell the damper is in need of refurb? What will it look like? Will the mechanics know this when inspecting?

Reaction score
sounds like the dampers gone jamie .

I would give Bg a call sounds like your dampers dont respond very well.

Reaction score
More driving and it feels like the rears. The reason it starts to understeer is becuase the back comes round and you go straight on. I don't think it's anything to do with the fronts as to turn in etc it still feels as good or sharp as it did. Just the back. Much worse when I go round a right hand bend as said. Go left and it feels better. If it is the fronts I'll get them rebuilt by BG but from what I've seen and looking at it's the rears.

This brings me onto another point.... The rears from Renault are approx £140 per unit. Therefore similar cost to Mark Fish's units - both the adjustable and non adjustable....

What do people think? Should I go with standard Renault or get some of his adjustable ones? I'll be going on a track day soon as well and probably getting a 2nd car for commuting as things are likely to change in my circumstances. Long term plan would be to get the springs as well maybe in a couple of months. Then I will have the rears and springs I'd go to Mark to get him to set up my camber etc as well.

Or as the car handles brilliantly when working A ok just keep with the way Renault intended?

In any case, I'll be getting the fronts rebuilt in June anyway, regardless if they're ok now. Reason being I'm on hol for two weeks and don't need the car or I'll get them done when I have a second car to use as I know it'll take a while for them to be rebuilt.

Reaction score
Go to mark mate! met him for first time yesterday and was talking about this while he was doing my zorst. Get the adjustable koni's with he's springs, then when it's time to get the front's sorted get them refurbed and de-pinned. He did heavily recommend getting the front's de-pinned at the same time as sorting the rears but i'd be reluctant going to the hassle of taking the fronts off and spending the money on a few hours labour on getting them de-pinned when during a refurb they are de-pinned anyway. But up to you. The rear will sit 15mm lower and look much better, plus the rear won't wallow so much under braking. Standard setup doesn't make too much sense - rock hard front but a soft rear end...not so bad on a lovely lady but not all that on a trophy.

Reaction score
Lol! Yeah. Well, I won't be getting the springs just now as my wife is moaning about the money I'm spunking on the car! Maybe wait for her to cool off and get them in a couple of months.

Reaction score
Dropped it off at the garage this morning so hoping to hear what's wrong with it sometime in the week. I'll let you know what the score is.

Reaction score
It's been at Birchdown for a few days of which they have checked it all over. Front dampers, rear, arbs, everything... Couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Reaction score
what about the oil level in the dampers? you'll be able to check that with ur finger behind the front wheels

Reaction score
Problem solved. The alignment was out. Apparently I probably hit a massive pothole which caused it to offset or something. Anyway, all done. Nothing to do with dampers etc. Although I will get the fronts rebuilt if I don't sell it for a 200 in the summer.