Ajr

Reaction score
Short story, my clio has bankrupt me and i need to fix it before i sell it in order to sort out my finances. Damn i miss driving it though, this is the first time i've not driven it for more than 2 days since i got it 13k miles ago :(

Long story:
I loved trophies when they were released but was unimpressed with the 182s that i drove when looking for new cars so passed on buying one.
I bought a nearly new fabia vRS as a daily driver for work which i didn't modify at all apart from ICE. I have always had at least 2 cars, one for daily one for track & weekend.
After my track car failed to make a trip to the ring, resulting in my getting towed home in it and taking the fabia to germany, i rented a clio 197 for two days and thoroughly enjoyed it although there were quite a few issues with the 197 that i didn't like. I did take the fabia out on track, but obviously it wasn't really quite the same.
Within a month of returning from germany i had decided to buy a trophy. Simpson on this forum had been out there with us and i loved his car as did everyone else.
I bought the remaining finance on the fabia on a credit card as a balance transfer which worked out well, in order to do a straight swap for no 427, which was a bad idea but i was set on it. I could have got at least a grand extra for it selling it privately!
Anyway my budget forecast only accounted for £100 of maintenance per month, more than enough for a modern car, or so i thought. But i found myself spending a lot more than that on keeping the clio tip top. As a result my social life has suffered as has my patience and love for the car.
I sold/broke a few of my spare cars to clear my parents driveway and store the clio there, and free up some cash but it doesn't seem to have worked, and i've been overspending on my 106 track car by about £200 a month too.
As a result i'm now left constantly living at the bottom of my overdraft with 3 cars insured, taxed and MOTd and paying £300 a month off my credit card for the clio.
I set aside money and time off work to get it fixed.
Had a buyer lined up for 427 and it was booked in for the work to sort it, but it turns out that the work required to make it as mint as i'd like it was more extensive and spanned outside my holiday period.
So now i'm stuck with the damn thing and have no motivation or time to fix it, but need to sell it and don't want to let it go stupidly cheap. And i love the trophy when it works perfectly so will be really sad to have to sell it when it's fixed.
To add to insult there's a 50/50 chance i'll be out of a job by the end of next week so won't be able to make my payments towards it and will have to try and rope my parents into lending me money which is a sore subject already!
I'm going to fit the new steering column next week after work one evening and if that doesn't fix it i don't know what i'll do :( Probably go and live in a cave somewhere away from reality #-o
So, my clio trophy ownership experience. It started off really well, but has been hugely painful both mentally and financially.
I shall stick to old peugeots and BMWs like i have done for the past 8 years i think...

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. How do you spend more than £100 per month maintaining the trophy?
2. How do you spend over £200 per month on a track car?

You've got too may cars mate. Get rid of the rest and keep the trophy.

Reaction score
I know how you feel as im going to be giving up my trophy in the coming months, just about had enough of renaults now and im looking at a runaround for work, my social life has been rather limited due to this and ive had enough of spending all my money on a bloody car as much as ive enjoyed it good things must come to an end sometimes.

Reaction score
I know how you feel, i recently sold my Trophy due to a loan and an unsteady job. Just make sure its the right decision before you do, as although im now fully debt free (and a Corsa Gsi in hand) it just doesn't feel right. Although the lack of debt really really does feel like heaven!

Ajr

Reaction score
Cambelt + fuel to get to rentech & back = £600
Damper refurb = £500
Discs & pads all round = £400
Wishbones = £130
Plus there's loads more than that also just tyres and normal servicing etc. But that adds up to £1630 as it is, and was over about 4-5 months of ownership, which even at 5 months is £325, add that to £300 i chose to pay off my card is £625, plus fuel to get to work and back = £200, insurance = £100(my no claims are on a different policy), tax is £20 a month. Plus tyre wear and normal servicing, means that for 5 months running my clio has cost

£945/month + Tyres and servicing!

How do i spend over £200 a month on the track car? It's easy. The new welder this month(old one broke) cost £250. The roll cage cost £900+time & welding supplies fitting it, the engine etc cost a fair bit, the suspension cost £900, the brakes have cost me £500 so far, the speedlines have cost me £400 and the R888s have cost a fair bit, the cobra imola and 5 point harness cost £400, the exhaust system cost £300 and the list continues...

And as for just having the clio i've considered it but don't want to trash what is a mint car using it for track duties, plus it'll cost me an arm and a leg to run it as a track car. Modifying a trophy is a bit wrong i think and it would need a roll cage, harder suspension, bigger brakes, less weight and more power.

Reaction score
It's not the Trophy's fault if you're trying to live at the absolute top end of your means.
Downsize the garage and enjoy yourself :)

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
It's not the Trophy's fault if you're trying to live at the absolute top end of your means.
Downsize the garage and enjoy yourself :)

Ditto. It was your decision to buy the Trophy :(

Why not keep the Trophy as the track car and buy like a 406tdi etc as a daily driver? IMO you wouldn't have to do much to the Trophy to enjoy it on track, just spend money on the tyres and brakes, they are the most important bits after all..

Reaction score
i fill for ya mate but as some the other members have said your sending to much. sell everything and keep the T get it sorted i drive a 205 gti in the week and T at weekend but the Ts in for upgrades atm so i am suffering to :shock:

Reaction score
It's a similar story with women. You can splash your cash on women and greatly improve your chances of having a sex filled life or stay at home and count your cash!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ajr, you sound like a perfectionist and there's nothing wrong with that, I understand perfectly :oops: Having three cars I can also understand how expensive it is (yes Rex I have no love life :( ) but surely now the majority of the expensive stuff is done and it's time to enjoy it.

Reaction score
Not sure what's up with your Trophy, but after all the money you have just spent on it I would have thought it should be cheap to run for at least the next 6 months! I do feel your pain though. I booked mine in for all the Mark Fish suspension work and cambelt a week before I was given my notice from work. That was £1,400 which would be useful in my bank account now!

Good luck with everything. Just get yourself an old diesel for a while and clear some debt.

Reaction score
Rexina182 said:
It's a similar story with women. You can splash your cash on women and greatly improve your chances of having a sex filled life or stay at home and count your cash!
Hey lets not get carried away! You're suggesting to cut out the hookers? What next... cut back on the cocaine?! :lol:

Ajr

Reaction score
It's not really that i live out of my own means, it's just that my budget predictions were quite wrong and i underestimated how much it'd cost me. It should be reliable for a while now but there's that thought running around in the back of my mind that at any minute it could spring a problem on me and once again take a bite out of my budget.

I won't have it as an only car because it's too nice to park in crap car parks and towns at weekends because it WILL get vandalised, virtually every car i've had in the past has been vandalised or damaged. And i won't take it on track because it's too expensive to write off, and if i wasn't driving flat out on track i'd not get the same enjoyment from it.

The problem now is that i am deep in debt and in order for things to improve i need to stay in permanently and spend no money on cars for at least 6 months to make sure i'm in a stable position.

BUT i'm more or less out of work now(was working in sales & account management) which means that including all of my bills i will have approx £1500 a month going out and nothing coming in. Frantically applying for new jobs so that i can keep the trophy and just have a quiet one!

Had to cancel my ring trip which is really the big highlight of my year(usually do 2) so generally pretty pissed off.

If i can sort work asap i'm going to try and keep the trophy for as long as possible and really make some effort. If not it'll definitely have to go!