Reaction score
Can anyone help with this? While driving (ie. doesn't happen when stationary) when I go above 3000rpm the red STOP and battery lights flash on and off seemingly randomly. Sometimes they stay on for a little bit, but usually go out again when the revs drop. I feel no other probs, the car feels fine still. Any ideas what would cause this???

I am about to phone Renault so if anyone can help first, that would be appreciated.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd get that checked out ASAP. Could suggest your battery isn't being charged properly.

I think Day had these lights flickering on his 172, then the next day the car died with a flat battery due to a faulty alternator.

Reaction score
Ok the car is in the garage, but on the drive to the garage, the lights only flickered once. Despite me revving it to 6k. (oops ;) )

Day

Reaction score
Yep, dodgy alternator it was.

Had to be trailered to the dealers from hell :(

That's 3 in total I've now had for different reasons lol

Reaction score
Ok, so when they phone and say they can't find any probs (whcih I am 90% sure will happen), are they going to be able to check that this is the prob?

I guess it doesn't help that the engine mgm light is on too because of my sports cat. After I mentioned the exhaust, they said, oh yeah we've had you in before right, in a different Clio :) lol...

Reaction score
Just thought, can someone do me a quick favour? Turn on the ignition, but only to the 1st set notch, if you see what I mean, so the electrics come on but the engine doesn't start. All the status lights go off?

On my car, the STOP and battery light stays on. Is this normal?

Then when I start the engine, the lights go out...

Reaction score
This is normal Strike, STOP and battery lights stay illuminated until you start the engine, then they should go out.

Reaction score
Well guess what, as I drove to the dealers it stopped doing it. Has not done it since either. Very strange. The dealer couldn't reproduce the fault and so couldn't fix anything.

Reaction score
Its the alternator. It will get worse until it packs up and you get stranded somewhere.

Reaction score
Everything has checked out as normal. The warning lights are no longer coming on. I did tell the dealer it maybe the alternator, but they said they could find nothing wrong...

Reaction score
Well, just to update. Over Xmas while I was in Kent, I left the car for a couple of days. I am not sure if its the cold/damp or what, as thats when it occured first, but once I set off in the morning the STOP & battery lights started flickering on again! Typical I thought, so I ignored it. After a bit of a run (30 mins I reckon) no more probs. Now the garage said that the alternator was fine and the charge/discharge (or whatever) rates were ok. I am still a bit dubious, but could it just be down to the cold???

Reaction score
Random Reno faults, you gotta love them! :lol:

Does sound like it could be caused by the weather, would have thought that moisture would probably be the problem rather than the temperature...keep checking under the bonnet to see if there are any obvious places that water is collecting or leaking to.

Try the panel of experts on the Renaultsport forum, they are very good at giving reasons for problems. If you don't want to register etc, let me know and I will ask the question on your behalf.

Reaction score
Yeah cheers Oli, I have been registered on ClioSport for a few years now... I may have to post there too, you're right.

Reaction score
Was referring to the Renaultsport forum, not Cliosport, although other 182 owners on there have probably experienced the same problem, so it's probably a good place to ask the question.

Good luck with solving this issue! :D

Reaction score
Ah ok... d'oh. Yeah I was one of the first on that forum, but I forgot my user name... had to re-register...

Cheers, will hopefully find out what the hell is going on soon...

Reaction score
Cool, the panel of experts section is really useful for asking questions like this...

Reaction score
Mine has been doing this for past 4 months. Only happens when its cold outside and I can make it disappear by turning off seat heater and rear window heater. Recently had battery checked, test returned 564/600A = Excellent health. Starts without issues and when there's 0+ C outside warning does not come at all.