Reaction score
Hello all, im new to this forum and im thinking of getting a clio trophy so thought it would be a good idea to register! at the moment my daily drive is a 106 gti which has been fantastic so can anyone tell me if the clio will be just as fun do drive? and also how hard/easy would it be to tune it to the 200+ mark? i like the look of the clio and has more power which is what i after so think it will be a good replacement!

Many thanks

Reaction score
By far the best car i've owned! Puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it! As for the 200+bhp, drive one, as nice as extra power may be, i don't really think it needs it.

Reaction score
I have drove one on a test drive from a dealer and it was a 2 min drive which was shocking and you can't get a feel for things after that long!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think it will be a fine replacement, from what people say they have a very similar feel with the T doing everything a little bit better. You will have to spend a lot of money to get it anywhere near 200, very difficult engine to squeeze more out of without fitting TB's, most on here have spent money on the front wheels instead, discs, brakes alignment camber etc fun fun. :)

Reaction score
Indeed it will be! thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
It will be a big improvement from a 106 GTI in evry way. It is the perfect step up though.

Most dealers won't let you abuse their cars so it is not surprising, if you have a private sale then no doubt the owner will show you what it can do. I took the guy who bought mine off of me for a 45 minute drive through some country roads to show him what it could do (without being dangerous).

Probably the best thing to do is buy one and find out for yourself what it can do...I guarantee you will love it.

Reaction score
i had a 106 gti...lift off oversteer was excellent :wink:
but seriously the trophy is in a different class.

Reaction score
Whats a trophy like compared to a 206 gti 180?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:lol:

Was going to say the earlier that the 106 was different league but didn't want to upset anyone but now you're talking premiership and conference, the 206 lost everything good from their earlier hot hatches.

Reaction score
The only thing i like about the 180 is the interior to be honest! I'd love to see the two in action at the same time!

Reaction score
EVO Mag did a comparison of the Trophy against a BMW M6 because they were so evenly matched. No magazine ever bothered to compare the Trophy with a 206 GTi 180 because there was no match at all. Chalk and cheese etc....

If you are really concerned about interiors, I fear you may miss the real superiority of the Trophy.

Reaction score
you need to look deeper "escy"

its sad to look at peugeot now compaired to what they used to be...what happened to the "spades" supercar they were building a few years ago...?

Reaction score
Very true! I have a lot of Peugeot blood in my afraid with having 205 gti's and the 106 gti! I'm hoping to find a 205 diesel for my everyday runner then the hunt for a trophy can begin!

Reaction score
Escy, this was my response to someone asking a similar question to you. They aslo had a 106 GTi:

Hi Keo, I went from a S1 106 Rallye that I owned from new to the Trophy. I felt the Rallye was such a honed thing it would be hard to beat (I do few long journeys so comfort and motorway speed isn't too much of an issue, hence keeping the Rallye so long). Getting the T was like putting on an old pair of your favourite shoes but they now have new soles. Everything is the same, but that little bit fresher and slightly different. The driving position isn't great, but we all know that is a gripe of the 182 and 172 Clio. The Recaro's make it better, but getting back in the Rallye you realise how good a seating position it has vs poor the T is; although it's not awful.

You'll be amazed by the grip from the T and how hard you can push it. It has very similar charastics to a hot 106. Lifts its tail and is twitchy under hard breaking from speed, but feels like you are in a kart of sorts. Like most French fwd cars there is a touch of lift off oversteer too. The thing you have to get used to is the speed you can carry and just how hard you have to push it before it unsettles or understeers. I cut 30mins off an average three hour 150mile journey that is mostly A and B roads in the T. I reckon I could do it in under two hours with dry roads in the middle of the night.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reaction score
You have sold me to a trophy! thanks all for the response!