Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
Cue said:
There's no such thing as running in oil, omg that's the strangest thing i've heard someone come out with for a while..... lol
!

There isn't such as thing as "running in oil" however until fairly recently cars would be supplied with a different grade of oil (often mineral I think) which was then swapped out for the preferred oil at the first service (often a 1000 mile oil change).

So although there wouldn't have been a specific formulation for running in, its easy to see how the term running in oil came about.

that was fazed out during the early eighties!!! i can't think of the last car that was supplied with a specific grade of oil for cleaning the engine in the first 1000 miles.

Having said that i know ferrari even as recently as the 360 supplied the car and recomended the first interval to be sonner than the set interval.

Reaction score
Cue said:
fazedesign said:
Cue said:
There's no such thing as running in oil, omg that's the strangest thing i've heard someone come out with for a while..... lol
!

There isn't such as thing as "running in oil" however until fairly recently cars would be supplied with a different grade of oil (often mineral I think) which was then swapped out for the preferred oil at the first service (often a 1000 mile oil change).

So although there wouldn't have been a specific formulation for running in, its easy to see how the term running in oil came about.

that was fazed out during the early eighties!!! i can't think of the last car that was supplied with a specific grade of oil for cleaning the engine in the first 1000 miles.

Having said that i know ferrari even as recently as the 360 supplied the car and recomended the first interval to be sonner than the set interval.

Yep, it's been a while since it was commonly used but a bit of history is good to know expecially when it can be used to clear up questions like this!

It's cannot hurt to change your oil early, particularly the first oil change as you said. Modern synthetic oils last really well though, hence some of the insane service intervals you get these days - 12k services feel like every 5 min compared to some of the intervals these days!

Reaction score
Cue said:
yeh that's true - caddy's in the states don't come with service intervals now!!!!

Probably because they come with a 100 litre resevoir of oil that replaces itself every 12K miles and dumps the old stuff onto the road.