Reaction score
I'm getting my geometry fine tuned within next couple of weeks. I'm yet decided if I'm going to go for -2 camber or just optimise/correct the factory settings.

Does anyone know what the factory camber/toe settings should be exactly?

Reaction score
Finally found some numbers by searching on this site. It seems it should have left the factory with the following...

Front:
Camber: -0.17 Toe Out: 0.25

Rear:
Camber: -1.75
Toe In: 0.2

I'm thinking it may be best to leave rear as standard (or correct rear to standard) then change front to -2 camber. I'd like to do a track day or 2 this year where the -2 setting would no doubt be preferable, but is this setting a bit tiresome on your average trip to the supermarket??

Any advice/comments are welcome....

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you've got the right answer in your last para, rear leave stnd and front -2.

for camber bolts contact larkspeed, the eibach's they do are £6-7 cheaper than the k&n ones that deamon tweeks do.

Reaction score
Sam415 said:
Front:
Camber: -0.17 Toe Out: 0.25

Rear:
Camber: -1.75
Toe In: 0.2

Im going to get my geometry checked when i get my next set of tyres fitted soon, are these the figures i need the tracking re-set to then? (if its not that already that is)

Reaction score
According to the factory's workshop manual, the settings are:

Front Toe-out 0.25' +/- 0.17'
Camber 0.17' +/- 30' , the norm seems ot be nearer the upper end, i.e 0.47'

Rear Toe-in 0.20' +/- 20'
Camber 1.30' +/- 20'

Note all figures are in degrees and minutes.

As you surmise, the rear is best left alone - the front works well at 2.0' negative camber, and probably slightly less toe-out - mine came at 0.10' and is fine. There are lots of debates about toe settings, but when you delve you will find that the toe-in lobby are running much less offset and up to 3.00' negative. Unless you do a lot of motorway driving, 2.00' camber should not have any adverse effects.

Reaction score
Great info - I feel confident to go ahead and get this sorted now! :D

Reaction score
Hi George,

How goes the comp?
Still happy with car?
You in the ASWMC this year?
I am at C Combe this Sat for the first sprint, always glad to see a fellow CT owner!
Am just going outside to dial in a little more toe out....

Pete G.

Reaction score
pete g

Thanks for asking, last year was very busy for all sorts of non-car reasons, so I only did Wiscombe. Got down to 48.7, which is about 2.5 secs off the quick boys - 750 kg Golfs with 195 real horse power, or varous other much more track focussed vehicles.

The season was mixed, partly as I discovered too late, that having damaged one of the fornt sdampers trying to un-pin it, it eventually it went to full soft - Bouncing along the straights was too leary for me!! I suppose the main consolation is that no other Prod 172/182 has got under 50 seconds. Fortunately I have now had both front dampers fully rebuilt and un-pinned.

The other saga is that my quest for power has not been very successful - found about 6 bhp so far. Ideally a trip to the RStuning r/road for some custom mapping seems to be the next step - but Leeds is so far from Devon!! I still think it is a great car for someone of my limited ability as it is so user friendly and amazing in the wet. However I am reluctant to spend much more as I have dreamt up a new project - but at present it is not available with the right wrong gearbox.

First event is Wiscombe 26 & 27 April. May also do a new event at Mamhead between Exteter and torquay. Will you venture this far west - it is much warmer!!

good luck at CC.

Reaction score
Hi George, Sorry about the wait I was awaiting the results;
http://www.bristolpegasus.com/index.php?section=409

I did really well to beat powerful modified Puma and Evo.
It was wet in afternoon, still kept the driver aids off.
Had a good run, dug deep and made all the apexes!
The little car is remarkable, you think its ok on hills, come try it on a fast track and mine is bog std!
The power to weight issue is less of an issue on faster tracks, the aero handling and grip of the CT is an advantage over light Golf/Pug GTIs.

Next event is Colerne but I will be back in the Lotus for that.

Furthest west I normally get is Chivenor http://www.aswmc.org.uk/sprint.htm#SCAL

The only way you will ever see any real power inc from the engine would be to go head mods/cams/throttle bodies.
All the best at Wiscombe, I did it many years back in GTI and Sunbeam Lotus.
Hope to meet you sometime. Pete.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
New track record huh, well done.

Mark Fish recommended sprints as a fun/different alternative to track days, seems the Trophy is quite good at themwith a good driver behind the wheel :)

Reaction score
Pete

Congratulations - great effort. Think that I would rather you did not come to Wiscombe - I might be shown up too much!!

I am trying to keep the car as road sensible as possible - hence only cams so far - have now custom re-mapped it at ChippedUK (as they are much nearer than going all the way to RS in Leeds) and found a significant improvement. It does sound as though the 182 would benefit even more that the 172 from head work (according to Ben R it has smaller exhaust ports), but at thsis stage i am reluctant to spend much more on it.

Good luck with the rest of your sprinting season. I am also doing a new event at Mamhead (torbay MC) in August.

Reaction score
The record is only because this was 1st time a 1.75 lap event held at C Combe.
The result was also only because it was wet but fair play to the CT not often a std car wins even in the 'road car class'. Note the R26 in Cl A4 also went v well even if it is chipped to 260+hp. The Renaults are forgiving to drive, in the Lotus - if I got round, would probably have been slower.
As I said before George, I would struggle on the hills in the same way you do, thats one of reasons I do very few now. I also feel sprints (try one guys) a better test of driver as there is more to vary in terms of line, hill climbs tend to be a bit like driving up a country lane, all be it very hairy! I still remember Wiscombe mind, diving thro' that gate and up the 'slow to dry out' cuves, the 1 in 3 Martini always a buzz as well, had many a dice with Tim Stiles Golf GTI.
I do a few track days (going to Nurburgring and Spa in Aug - Arggh) but miss the comp of a sprint, there is nothing like trying to find the odd 1/10 sec going into the 1st corner with cold brakes and tyres!

What power is it giving now then George?
Reckon a full house Ren 2l should be capable of 260hp+ the Lotus guys are getting that from 1.8 K series but that is a remarkable little engine indeed!