Ajr

Reaction score
Yesterday my trophy developed this dodgy noise on the way back home from work, it was a pop followed by a scraping/cracking noise of metal on metal.

I have checked the rear suspension over pretty thoroughly, and can't find any problems!
The only things that i haven't eliminated are the dampers and the trailing arm bushes.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Really didn't wanna have to shell out for a pair of new rear dampers now :(

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Your really not having much luck with the Trophy mate !

Ajr

Reaction score
Don't i know it :( It would pain me to sell it once it's fixed though, as it will have so many new parts fitted i may as well get some use out of it!

Not sure what i can drive to work now too, but i won't be driving the clio how it is!

Ajr

Reaction score
I checked the bearings today and they are still tight, no play whatsoever, discs spin freely by hand, and the noise isn't speed related it's road surface related.

The noise only happens during rear suspension movement, over any sort of bump or dip. I've checked the exhaust over by yanking it about and checking around it, the exhaust has plenty of clearance from the heatshields and beam.

I can't replicate the noise pushing the rear down, but i drove the few miles home with the window open, at various speeds and i'm pretty certain it's coming from the rear.

The rear damper covers have been rubbing but there's no way this noise could be coming from that, it's far too loud!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought my mind was playing up ! I was sure Hoolio was the last person to reply when I clicked on the thread. Didnt even notice it was in spotted..Lol !

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry deleted my post previous to yours above because I thought you would have checked all the things I mentioned and you had.

Ajr

Reaction score
After sulking a lot i spent a few hours on it this morning!

The heatshield had snapped off a few of it's studs for some reason and was clattering against the boot floor, which i noticed after i was stumped by the lack of problems with the suspension system!!!

Car still doesn't handle right though, must be front end related, again!

Reaction score
Very annoying situation - I too have had the same thing. One point gave way a few months back and so I placed a larger washer over it. Since then another point has gone too. Luckily mine doesn't sound as if it was anywhere near as loud or as bad as yours.. Where abouts did yours give way?

Ajr

Reaction score
Drivers side exhaust box towards the centre, all 3 in a row had gone. Strange as it's all factory, although the backbox will have been off for the new centre section last year, no doubt the renault techs didn't give a crap, as they scratched the hell out of my tailpipes on the bumper cutout :(