Reaction score
Hi guys, im in the process of buying a house and the CTR is proving costly in terms of monthly payment and fuel so thinking of changing to a trophy.

Looked at them last year but decided to keep the CTR.

Will i find driving the trophy a big change to the type r? What should i look out for?

Anyone on here own(ed) both?

Any advice/Opinions or general banter appreciated?

Cheers

Reaction score
Having driven both (I've got a trophy, best mate has a pre face lift 03 CTR) and been out for some decent drives we've both agreed that the trophy definitely has the edge when it comes to cornering and general steering feel. It depends what you're after though. the CTR definitely pulls a little harder after 50+ mph although the trophy's brakes seem slightly harder wearing and less prone to fade in our experience.

Both great cars, but I won't be changing the trophy for a CTR any time soon and my friend is now after a trophy or the new 197, so I guess that gives you some indication.

You'll find that the Trophy will rattle a load more than the CTR, and to be honest, the CTR is a slightly nicer place to be (bar the Trophy's recaros) but for sheer enjoyment when hurtling down a well known b road there's nothing to beat the little red beast (Under 20k anyway!)

Not much help then really I guess, but you definitely won't be disapointed with the Trophy if you want another fast hot hatch with a bit more character (see rattles and squeeks)

hyb

Reaction score
Good words from chiefbadger, I was looking at a type-r before the trophy but ended up getting an s2k, the civic's a nice place to be and pretty relaxing to drive i felt, the things that turned me away from it though was the total electric feel of the steering and the power hitting right at the very peak of the revs, sporty yes but pretty unusable most of the time. I find the low end torque of the trophy extremly usefull around town, you can pin the go pedal to the floor and realy nip about :)

The only thing I really noticed was the seating posistion in the trophy, you'll probably get in and think its high up, but you soon find a nice posistion and it fits pretty perfect, now im not sure i'd even like to be sat lower.

My brother has a civic, not a type-r but same shape :) Space wise there's not a huge difference inside, depends what you use your car for I suppose. Your best bet is to drive one yourself and see what you think

As for what to look out for on a trophy, most out there are going to be very low mileage so nothing should have gone wrong, plus you'll still have the 3 years renault warranty

Reaction score
Trophy has a better engine, better handling and is more useable day to day.
CTR has a better gearbox, much more room and is better at high speed.

Reaction score
CTR box is stonking. Renault really missed a trick putting a 5spd in the trophy.

Reaction score
I think the CTR engine knocks the F4R into a cocked hat. It's a brilliantly engineered piece of kit.

Reaction score
Not to say the F4R is bad of course. It's got a nice torquey power delivery and is also very economical too.

But you can get 240 odd hp out of the CTR engine without breaking into a sweat. Amazing for an NA 2.0 four.

Reaction score
IMHO the engne in the civic i better as a piece of engineering, but to live with I prefer the clio. I think of it as a CTR engine but just 10% less frantic (and also less refined). Gearbox on CTR is a real work of art - its the one feature I would like in the trophy

Reaction score
dcw@pr said:
IMHO the engne in the civic i better as a piece of engineering, but to live with I prefer the clio.

Spot on. The torque of the F4R and the lighter weight of the trophy make it more useable.

Reaction score
my m8 was either going to get a ctr, his 1st choice, or a astra vxr 2nd choice. He didnt want to waste the money on the ctr because he felt the power wasnt delivered quick enough and he said he felt uneasy with the stearing senstivity.

Hes still trying to convinve himself to splash an extra 2k to get the astra, and i hope he does!

Reaction score
when's the new ctr out? looked well smart in yellow in evo the other month

Reaction score
On the subject of CTR, I recall a press clipping that stated that worldwide there has never been a single failure ever of a VTEC cam assembly. With a voloume only to be imagined that's a fabulous statement of quality isn't it.

Reaction score
I had a CTR a couple of years back - truely a great car. Equally happy blasting through the crainer curves at Donnington Park or doing the weekly shop at Tesco.

Quite pricey to run though and with good spec a fair bit more than a clio, but to be honest I think you get what you pay for. If I could afford another one I wouldnt hesitate. Had no issues with mine whatsoever, had it for 18 months from new, 100% reliable - does exactly whay you expect of it, cant ask for anything more really.

Reaction score
I might have mentioned this before but a pretty staggering fact I picked up from somewhere, that worldwide Honda had never had a single failure of a VTEC cam assembly.