G

Just got back from Northampton after purchasing Trophy 452. :) Pick it up next Saturday.

One owner, ~4900 miles, 55-reg, as-new condition, completely standard. It looks just like all the others, but I'll be sure to post up some pics when I collect it. Haven't looked forward to picking up a car as much as this ever before. :)

Reaction score
Next saturday :shock: It's going to be a long week for you :roll: Worth the wait though 8)

Not done many miles in 18 months !

Reaction score
Just in time to do the Goodwood Breakfast run on Sunday then :wink:

Welcome aboard!

Reaction score
Nice one David - hope all goes well next Saturday. Looks like a nice car from the pics on Autotrader - its missing the front splitter though - are they going to replace it for you?

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you bought a great example! :D

Wonder how many miles will be on it by next Saturday, or if the seller will go out for the fateful "one last blast!" :shock: :lol:

G

It's okay about the 'last blast' - it's from a dealer.

I don't know, I reckon there will be a fair few more miles on it by the afternoon. :D

They knocked off £300 to cover the missing splitter (it's a mystery as to where it's gone - all the screws are still in the holes and there is no damage to the bumper!) and a cracked fog-lamp. I'll fit them myself as soon as I get it home. :)

Reaction score
Good man; hope you enjoy car. I thought mine had a small amount of miles (13000) but that is an excellent find.

I ve just ordered my front splitter, mine didn't have one either! I believe a lot of people remove it if they live in a speed bump area to stop catching.

G

Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

I ordered a front splitter this morning from Lookers Chelmsford and it'll be in this afternoon! Not bad!

Not sure which fog-lamp to buy, though - they said there were two types (with lines in the glass and without) and I don't know which to buy.

G

In fact does anyone know the part number for the front fog light ? pretty sure its the totally clear one.
Im after the drivers side (OS). Cheers :wink:

Reaction score
Take both fog lights out and replace them with a cold air induciton pipe :)

O.

G

I have considered doing that, actually. Is it easy to do?

Reaction score
Hi David, Welcome to ClioTrophy. Congratulations on finding such a low mileage example, it won't disappoint. :D

G

Okay, I'm actually really excited now. Weather looks good for tomorrow, so it should be a pleasant drive home. Oh yes!

Will get the splitter and replacement fog lamp attached as soon as I get back and then I can have a go at some pictures. :)

Two more questions directly related to the above - does the front splitter actually serve any purposeful aerodynamic function (I'm imagining not very much, if anything) and how do I go about fitting the fog lamp? Wheel arch liner removal I would have thought?

Reaction score
1. Nope, probably increases the frontal CSA of the car without aiding the under-floor aerodynamics very much, it might reduce pressure under the car (and therefore lift) by effectively lowering the car and reducing airflow but I'd wager it's purely cosmetic.

2. Yes, it's sealed in from underneath and the wheel arch so the easiest way would be to take the wheel off and arch liner, this is how the acoustic valve mod is done and that is essentially the same operation.

David, bring the new steed down to Goodwood Breakfast Club on Sunday morning, it would make a good first outing for fourfivetwo. :D

G

Once again, thank you Steve.

What is the 'acoustic valve' mod? Sounds tuneful. Did think that might be the case with the fog lamp, so cheers.

I would have brought it down to Goodwood on Sunday, but I'm already booked up - have to go to London. Next time something like that's on I'll tag along, though.

I've got plenty of action lined up for the little Clio in the coming months: a trip to Disneyland Paris via Reims in mid-June, and then a supercar run (although sadly I will be in one of the less-super cars lol) to the Nurburgring in late July. In between those two I'm going to throw in the obligatory track days, the first of which is in a couple of weeks' time. I suspect the Trophy will be a noble steed... Only about twenty hours to go! :mrgreen:

G

Awesome. I think that's the best way to sum it up. I'm so pleased with this little car - everything about it kicks ass!

The handling is truly hilarious; I've never driven a front-wheel-drive car like it. The way the rear end helps the car around corners with no provocation is brilliant. My fears of it being uncomfortable were also banished as soon as I got it on the A14 and pointed it toward home. With cruise control set to 79mph it was really economical and quiet enouh. The engine wasn't buzzing away, so I'm happy. The seats are very nice, as are the other little touches like the brilliant throttle response and nicely-placed pedals. The speed of it is deceptive too; it doesn't feel that fast, but when you look down at the speedo you're going quicker than you imagined. I guess it's because my previous two cars have been turbocharged and, in the Focus RS especially, you really knew when the boost came in!

Downsides? Okay, it sounds a little bland (but a nice Milltek should sort that) and the seats are a bit high, but other than that it's great. Well happy.

Already fitted the splitter and new fog lamp, along with Philips Silver Visions front and back. I've a K&N panel filter arriving next week, and then we're good to go. I'm just nipping into London now, but I'll endevour to get some pictures when I get back. I know it looks like all the others, but we're all too proud to care. :mrgreen:

G

Due to Apple's crappy design of their laptop power cables, the pictures may be slightly delayed.