Reaction score
I say Alpina Roadster 3.4 Lux, you say.....???

:)

Just wondering people's thoughts of a Z4 Alpina. I have recently come to research a bit about them and they seem like a fantastic car. However I am aware some people wouldn't be seen dead in one... is that the case here too?

Two short reviews from a long term car (Autocar):

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/downl ... r08042.pdf

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/downl ... 305_03.pdf

A fewof pics:

02.jpg
04.jpg
13.jpg
19.jpg
14.jpg
08.jpg
05.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg
03.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
18.jpg
14.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg
02.jpg

Some official info:

ALPINA is delighted to announce the UK launch of the exciting Roadster S and Roadster S Lux. The cars offer unrivalled levels of performance and handling and increased levels of interior comfort and exterior styling.

Z4 two-seater sports car
300bhp, 362Nm of torque
Manual 6-speed ZF gearbox
0-60mph in 5.1 seconds
Maximum speed 172mph

ALPINA is delighted to announce the UK launch of the exciting Roadster S and Roadster S Lux. The cars offer unrivalled levels of performance and handling and increased levels of interior comfort and exterior styling.

Performance

Both models utilise the renowned ALPINA 3.4 litre six, each hand-built in Buchloe, Germany, and fitted on the production line during the cars’ manufacture.

Strong performance comes courtesy of the 300bhp available at 6,300rpm and the ROADSTER S’ low kerb weight of 1320kg. Together they yield a 0-60mph sprint time of just 5.1 seconds. Top speed is 169mph (172mph with the optional hardtop).

The ZF S6-37 six-speed manual gearbox, developed to ALPINA specifications, augments the sporty nature of the car and enhances driver involvement.

362Nm (266 lb-ft) of torque is generated at 4800rpm, yet the real key to the ROADSTER S’ breathtaking elasticity is the availability of 90% of maximum torque from 3000rpm to 6500rpm.

Luxury Appointments

The BMW ALPINA ROADSTER S provides a high level of equipment as standard, with the BMW ALPINA ROADSTER S Lux package offering a host of additional features at a moderate price. The Lux package includes:

Multi-function steering wheel

ALPINA Wind Deflector

ISOFix child seat mounts

Headlamp Washer System

Park Distance Control

Xenon Headlights

Cruise Control

Satellite Navigation System

Bluetooth Mobile Phone Preparation

6-CD Changer

ALPINA Extended Leather Interior (Dash, Centre Console, Door Handles and Door Trims)

19' ALPINA DYNAMIC Wheels with MICHELIN Pilot Sport tyres (Front: 8.5' x 19', 235/35ZR19; Rear: 9.5' x 19', 265/30ZR19)

Economy & Environment

Fuel consumption is commensurate with the performance level of the ROADSTER S; with Urban 18.6mpg, Extra-Urban 40.9mpg, combined 28.5mpg. The CO2 combined emission value is 238g/km.

The ROADSTER S fulfils Euro III emissions, and ALPINA fulfils current EU requirements regarding recyclability of its vehicles.

ALPINA GB, part of the Sytner Group, has been the sole agent for ALPINA GmbH in the UK since 1983. ALPINA has worked closely with BMW AG since 1961, with shared warranty coverage since 1964. ALPINA GmbH was established in 1965 for the purpose of building BMW ALPINA automobiles, with registration as a manufacturer to ISO standards in 1983.

Reaction score
I say nay ;)

Had a Z4 3.0i Si Sport (267bhp model) for a few days last year (fortunately it wasnt mine) and just wasnt really that impressed - i think it was the whole Z4 experience that let me down - i cant really describe it - it just didnt feel right, it was quite uninvolving and generally felt like it lacked something though i'm not sure what exactly. Plus the bonnet is about 50ft long :!:

I've no doubt the Alpina would be a much better car but i still dont think it would be on my shopping list, just my thoughts on this though Ollie, i guess a drive would maybe make your mind up.

Reaction score
CHL - I've heard the same about the standard car... so I think you're definately right although again, as you say, the Alpina could be different. Either way, it will never be as involving as the Trophy or offer as much feedback :(

Shabba - I tried to look for a review in Trophy... do you remember how long ago you saw them test it? I had a look on the Evo site too but can't find it... if you know I'd be very very interested :)

Cheers gents
O.

Reaction score
Edit: I think I found the article (compared against Z4M, Boxster S and TVR). It was interesting to read that they rated it similar to the Z4M (just as quick thanks to the torque) and they rated the Z4M over the new Boxster S.

I guess the trump card of the Alpina (for me) is that you can pick up a low mileage, pristine example for just £22k. However you will not find any of the other cars for anything less than £35k. The depreciation should be gentle too, ala Trophy.

I guess I'll need to find one and try it to be sure, but at the moment the sound of a 170mph hand built German sports car, still under warranty, is a compelling alternative to a high mileage, 10+ year old 993, even if it is only nine tenths the drivers car.

Hmm....

O.

Reaction score
Yeah Ollie i think a drive will make your mind up, though i think a Boxster S will definitely be within budget too - although like the 911 you might have to roll back the years a little. I'd have the older 99 every time though over the Boxster ;)

I think the thing you have to remember with Alpina is that their tuning ethos is generally a little 'softer' than say AC Schnitzer or Hartge or one of BMWs own M cars (though there are exceptions to the rule i.e Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo etc). Their sports suspension is a little softer and more comfortable, they have predominantly used auto boxes and paddles in recent years, and most of the engine tuning ethos comes from large capacity engines with lots of torque and the performance that this brings. M Division or Hartge will probably be able to offer a harder edged and more involved driving experience.

If you are looking for something newer, low mileage and still under warranty, have you driven a 350Z? A nearly new one would be well within budget, the only thing is it wont have the 'badge appeal' of the other cars you are thinking of. Not something that would bother me at the end of the day as long as it was a good drivers car - take the Renault badge on the clio Trophy for example..... ;)

Reaction score
Let's not fuck about here, the Bimmer would be a joy to own (my friend has a penchant for bimmers esp. Alpina's and is always going on about the details that you just don't see in car mags) but;

I would rather a 993. Or a 964. Or even a Boxster S. The Z4 just isn't a very good driver's car by all accounts and even the blood and thunder Z4 M Coupe (which is better due to it being stiffer) isn't all that. IMO if you want a BMW you can't beat an M3. Faster than the M coupe (and Alpina) and five seats!

Oliie, I would love to be in your position, I'm currently considering selling the Trophy and being a pedestrian for a bit. I'm about to buy a house and I don't even have the free cash for the stamp duty. If I had £20-40K to spend on a new motor I would be overjoyed, just look what you can get on pistonheads for that! E46 M3 CSL, any number of 911's and even track special Esprit Sport 350's with over 400bhp/ton. You could get a lovely Griffith, keep the Trophy and a nicely modified 350bhp E36 M3, and spend the rest on a year in the tropics (or petrol).

I wish you all the best, but don't stray too far from the Porker camp, you'll miss out.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Day said:
Shabba said:
EVO didnt rate it. :(

My Grandfather didn't rate the war but at least he gave it a good crack ;)

lmao another classic that....

I'd personally go with a 3.2 boxster over a Z4, even a Alpine.... having driven both a normal BMW Z4 and the boxster, the boxster wins hands down, both in driving experience and quality, also the X factor of just going to sleep at night with a grin on your face.

the 911 is even better but obviously not in cabrio guise, leave that to the boxster and always go with a tin top 911.

failing that at some point i'll own a Nobel, I know the new one, if it ever gets launched, will be way above the budget but the M400 may be about there now and that was a glorious car to drive, more addictive than even the trophy, yes there are some cars out there that are :)