Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
What's the most anyone's had out of their Trophy? A friend recently borrowed mine and said he took it up to 155mph with his dad in the passenger seat and felt like it still wanted to go even faster! I know the speedometer reads 160mph but I found this hard to believe as the spec notes top speed to be 140mph and was under the impression that it was limited at this speed. What do you guys think?
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
514
Reaction score
0
Location
Oxfordshire
It's only limited to 140mph by phsyics rather than electronics - if your Trophy is standard then he's talking crap, was driving down a very long steep hill or your speedo is misreading.

I've maxed mine out and it was 140mph just like the stated top speed.
 
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Bristol
marky-p said:
What's the most anyone's had out of their Trophy? A friend recently borrowed mine and said he took it up to 155mph with his dad in the passenger seat and felt like it still wanted to go even faster! I know the speedometer reads 160mph but I found this hard to believe as the spec notes top speed to be 140mph and was under the impression that it was limited at this speed. What do you guys think?
is that wise to post? u never know whos watching or reading. (poke) not trying to be condescending, just dont wanna see neone from here end up in the slammer with Big Dave and the ever slippery soap.
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
1,541
Reaction score
0
155 is a load of crap.

I've only ever hit around 143 (GPS measured) while in DE.

O.
 
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
668
Reaction score
0
Location
Stratford on Avon
No way he has got 155 out of a trophy! Your clocks would have to be way out to even indicate that speed. I think even with enough power/gradient you might need a higher rev limit?
I can't remember what revs it gets to at speed as I don't live in Germany any more :(

I do know that it wouldn't feel like it wanted to go faster. It would feel like it was about to explode! :?

If someone drove my car like that I wouldn't be too pleased :evil:
 
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
5,570
Reaction score
253
Location
OXFORD
Hang on a second, does that mean i'm the only one who's trophy doubles up as a submarine and a spacecraft :? :wink:
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
1,541
Reaction score
0
Fish said:
is that wise to post? u never know whos watching or reading. (poke) not trying to be condescending, just dont wanna see neone from here end up in the slammer with Big Dave and the ever slippery soap.
Don't assume.

He never said what he did was illegal. He never said he did it in the UK. He never said his friend was telling the truth. He never said the figure was verified.

There is nothing in the original post that could be used for evidence in court.

O.
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
514
Reaction score
0
Location
Oxfordshire
oliie said:
Fish said:
is that wise to post? u never know whos watching or reading. (poke) not trying to be condescending, just dont wanna see neone from here end up in the slammer with Big Dave and the ever slippery soap.
Don't assume.

He never said what he did was illegal. He never said he did it in the UK. He never said his friend was telling the truth. He never said the figure was verified.

There is nothing in the original post that could be used for evidence in court.

O.
Any by the sound of it, the claim is suffering from pub BHP syndrome like every tom dick and harry who claims to have a 500bhp+ skyline having only swapped the air filter, exhaust and chip!
 

Cue

Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,284
Reaction score
30
Location
Republico Yorkshire
i wouldn't dare take it above 130 personally - It feels too unstable at high speed; Too light, brick like aerodynamics & the engine trying to collapse into a self made black hole all contribute.

The Trophy isn't about top speed - it's about handling. It could do with more acceleration imo but how many times, even on track will you be going over 120?
 

Cue

Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,284
Reaction score
30
Location
Republico Yorkshire
plus..... it's pulling nearly 6k rev's at 110 (cadwell park tested). With only another 1000 ish to go it aint going anywhere near 150mph.

I'd say unless your pushing out way over 200 bhp on the road (around 230bhp engine?) you won't see much more than 5mph or so on the top end.

And to get that your going to need a new gearbox with a long 6th ratio.... oh and some new underpants.
 
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Bristol
sorry guys, i didnt want it to come across that i was assuming that it was on the road :oops: , but all i meant was that you never know who could have signed in as a forum membe/guest and is reading all of these. Had a mate on the megane coupe forum, and she mentioned somethin on the lines of about, and got arrested for it 2 days later. no one knew how the fuzz knew about it so we all came to the conclusion that someone might have passed on the information.
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
514
Reaction score
0
Location
Oxfordshire
Cue said:
i wouldn't dare take it above 130 personally - It feels too unstable at high speed; Too light, brick like aerodynamics & the engine trying to collapse into a self made black hole all contribute.

The Trophy isn't about top speed - it's about handling. It could do with more acceleration imo but how many times, even on track will you be going over 120?
Really? When I had mine at 140 I was impressed at how stable it was and how little it was affected by crosswinds. The wind noise from the door tops being sucked out by low pressure air was rather annoying though!
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Cue said:
plus..... it's pulling nearly 6k rev's at 110 (cadwell park tested). With only another 1000 ish to go it aint going anywhere near 150mph.

I'd say unless your pushing out way over 200 bhp on the road (around 230bhp engine?) you won't see much more than 5mph or so on the top end.

And to get that your going to need a new gearbox with a long 6th ratio.... oh and some new underpants.
My engine's still standard, although my aim is eventually to have the fastest non-V6 clio in the UK without forced induction, together with the highest torque output. Tall order I know, but I'll get there eventually.
 
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
635
Reaction score
0
Location
Devon
Real world 155 mph (not speedo) = 7,400 rpm. Road tests give 138 mph standard, and assuming 175 bhp standard; then using aero drag formula, 155 mph needs 245 bhp! No way will you get an n/a engine to produce this much bhp as low as 7,500, as would need 172 ft lbs torque, - probably nearer 8,250 - which would then need a shorter 5th, not longer.
 

Cue

Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,284
Reaction score
30
Location
Republico Yorkshire
as ever George your technically spot on. ^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^ i concur.

You'd need new a new clutch, Gearbox, Pistons, Cylinder heads.... the list goes on... You may as well buy a scooby or Evo as they've got the work done.... but then who in their right minds buys these second hand? Engine rebuild every 40k anyone?
 
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
635
Reaction score
0
Location
Devon
The other problem with the Clio, much as we love it, is that it is quite tall giving a relatively large frontal area and short giving a poor coefficient of drag - thus CdA is big, which is why it needs more bhp for high top speed than some other cars. It is reasonable up to 100 becuase it is light - and as everyone points out it is agile and so is ideal for UK A and B roads - just forget the autobahns.
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
514
Reaction score
0
Location
Oxfordshire
Ash87 said:
Are you ok with your mate driving your car at that speed? if it is true :lol:
I'd be pretty hacked off if I lent my car to a mate and he got 155 out of it, especially as I can only manage 140. :lol:
 


Top