wheres the best place for a top speed run?

Reaction score
im dying to see what my trophy can do at the top end, i cant find anywhere that will let me do this, does bruntingthorpe or bedford autodome offer this?

S4M

Reaction score
Ive had 146 on the speedo before and that was on a flat surface, theres videos of clios doing 160 down a gradient .... Take a long time to get there tho :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
don't know - i'm cleaning this one up but the others won't let me dit them..... NIK?

re the post, are you after the actual top speed or the indicated top speed, the two are very different - 150 on the speedo is actually closer to 138 mph. The ring should offer the chance on that long back straight but you'd needs balls of steel to do it.

Failing that a very long run way or an empty autobahn are the only legal alternatives - bruntingthorpe, being an oval, you'll be pushing it to get over an indicated 120 i'd have thought, and makes sure you do it on good tyres, you don't want a blow out at those speeds in a light FWD car!

Reaction score
On the way to the ring i did a top speed run, but don't feel like you are missing out, its really not all that exciting! The roads are so wide and empty that it feels like you aren't going that fast! The car was very stable though so it did pretty well i think!

On a full lap of the ring you may get close on that back straight as someone said, but its risky on normal TF time as that is where you are supposed to cool down and actually is the only part of the track with a speed limit IIRC! Saying that, on one of the straights after all the 'esses' nearer the start of the lap i had a 130ish indicated speed....but the difference between 130 and 140 is probably a good mile or 2 more straight needed for a clio :lol:

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
!
but its risky on normal TF time as that is where you are supposed to cool down and actually is the only part of the track with a speed limit IIRC!

lol whats to stop people speeding through it surely not a speed camera :lol:

Reaction score
Destined for Victory said:
[quote="Matt X2C":9oa73uw4]!
but its risky on normal TF time as that is where you are supposed to cool down and actually is the only part of the track with a speed limit IIRC!

lol whats to stop people speeding through it surely not a speed camera :lol:[/quote:9oa73uw4]

no i very much doubt that, but you could get banned i guess if its blatent. And the fact that you couldn't reach 140 and slow down again before reaching the queue for the barriers on the track straight and wrecking numerous GT3's :lol:

I'd do it on the way there.....or at silly o'clock on the M25 :lol:

Reaction score
IIRC RAF Brize Norton are having a track day this sunday for quarter mile and top speed runs. Cant remember any more info tho.

Reaction score
Try the M45 - it only has one junction on it and crosses the border from Northants into Warwickshire, so is patrolled by the police once in a blue moon. It's also normally very quiet, despite only being 2 lanes in either direction. If you go from Northants (the M1 end) into Warwickshire you get a slight downhill run to start with, and visibility is better too once you're out on the flat straight bit.

If you get caught, don't blame me :)

Reaction score
__CA__ said:
Try the M45 - it only has one junction on it and crosses the border from Northants into Warwickshire, so is patrolled by the police once in a blue moon. It's also normally very quiet, despite only being 2 lanes in either direction. If you go from Northants (the M1 end) into Warwickshire you get a slight downhill run to start with, and visibility is better too once you're out on the flat straight bit.

If you get caught, don't blame me :)

All true, but that stretch of road is bloody awful quality. Last time I went down there the Sat Nav feel off from its holding, followed by the holding falling off the windscreen aswell! Awful piece of tarmac!

S4M

Reaction score
Tommo not sure if your on my facebook

Video of myn doing 147/148 this was on the autobahn last week on a flat peice of tarmac. Had it faster than that but that was going down a hill :lol: