Reaction score
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ollie says........

In an attempt to add some value to this thread (but not in line with the original question), I do believe that the Cooper S has the following key benefits over the Trophy:

-Superior Gearbox - feel, accuracy and number of speeds offered
-Superior build quality - unlikely to rattle, better interior design, less road noise, better overall packaging
-Most people of the female orientation seem to fall in love with them. Instantly.
-Easier to get more power out of as a % of original power per £ owing to supercharger and general popularity of the car

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello oliie,
I would like to raise a couple of points regarding your third statement.
Does the fact that women fall in love with it, which is a sweeping generalisation I might add, constitute a 'key benefit'??? :? I can only assume this may be seen
as important for attracting the attention of the fairer sex. This is surely, at best would be an added bonus and not as important as gearbox/buid quality, and general overall driver enjoyment.
If true would also make the mini a 'girly' car
I am of the female orientation as you put it, I do not like the mini at all. I can understand the mini ethos and appreciate why people like it but i find it very hard to get excited by them. I am not keen on the design of either interior or exterior, but will concede that the mini has a superior gear knob compared to the trophy!!!! :lol:
I absolutely love my trophy to bits though! :p :p

Reaction score
Thought you would of prefered the Trophy gear knob it has a nice ridge on it better for selecting reverse :D

Reaction score
I think that all the EVO readers out there need to check the back issues. The mini was a revelation for ages when it came out. It was not all about 0 - 60 times. It was hailed as setting the new benchmark for hot hatches, with added value of sophistication. It brought back a lot of what VW had lost with the golf all those years ago.

A direct comparison can therefore be made. The mini is a very good car.

However, give a nippy french tin can some fancy bits et voila!

As for driver enjoyment, close thing, but the clio ultimately wins....... or does it?

Reaction score
trophychick said:
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ollie says........

In an attempt to add some value to this thread (but not in line with the original question), I do believe that the Cooper S has the following key benefits over the Trophy:

-Superior Gearbox - feel, accuracy and number of speeds offered
-Superior build quality - unlikely to rattle, better interior design, less road noise, better overall packaging
-Most people of the female orientation seem to fall in love with them. Instantly.
-Easier to get more power out of as a % of original power per £ owing to supercharger and general popularity of the car

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello oliie,
I would like to raise a couple of points regarding your third statement.
Does the fact that women fall in love with it, which is a sweeping generalisation I might add, constitute a 'key benefit'??? :? I can only assume this may be seen
as important for attracting the attention of the fairer sex. This is surely, at best would be an added bonus and not as important as gearbox/buid quality, and general overall driver enjoyment.
If true would also make the mini a 'girly' car
I am of the female orientation as you put it, I do not like the mini at all. I can understand the mini ethos and appreciate why people like it but i find it very hard to get excited by them. I am not keen on the design of either interior or exterior, but will concede that the mini has a superior gear knob compared to the trophy!!!! :lol:
I absolutely love my trophy to bits though! :p :p

I agree, it was a sweeping generalisation - apologies!

My other half would choose the Cooper S over my Trophy any day (and owned the '04 Cooper S), so I guess it was just my personal experience/opinion which is all one can do without further analysing the factual demographic data that either car maker can produce. I would not bet against the fact that a greater % of women bought a Mini than those who bought a Trophy (just an educated guess going by marketing efforts/strategy etc.).

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
The Cooper S is a very nice car, but I don't see the point in these straight line, drag race comparisons.

The LCR guys are all about chipping and ramping up the BHP/ ft lb and claiming to be faster than god. They had a very amusing thread going about Boxsters being a fake/'poor' man's Porsche etc...

People are often blinded by their own car and how good it is, but at the end of the day we're all driving cheap, tinny, class B hatch backs!

I love the Trophy, but only because I accept it for what it is, and that's why Evo rate it so highly.

I'd take a Boxster S over a Trophy any day and I'm not going to waste 1 penny trying to make No. 099 go any faster/handle any better.

Get yourself a Carrera GT and you can claim to have the best car in the world, below that there's always something better!!!

More importantly though, of course the Trophy is better than a Cooper S!!! :D

Reaction score
richard3 said:
Thought you would of prefered the Trophy gear knob it has a nice ridge on it better for selecting reverse :D

I assume you are being slightly suggestive? there's just no need for that kind of discussion.
But no, I prefer the mini's gear knob as it nicely fills the hand - size does appear to matter...... :wink:

Reaction score
trophychick said:
richard3 said:

I assume you are being slightly suggestive? there's just no need for that kind of discussion.

From a male perspective there's always a 'need' for inuendo and double entendre!

Reaction score
knobs

I feel we have somewhat lost the focus of this discussion and have found ourselves in a seedy cul de sac. Although, i personally find it pretty entertaining, we should maybe get back to the matter in hand........................... :twisted:

I love my trophy, (even though previous owner covered it in 'trophy' decals) and would in no way want to own/borrow/look at/race a mini. (even the mini adverts on telly are buggin')

I appreciate that others may feel differently tho. :)

Day

Reaction score
Yes back to the Trophy/Cooper S...

How unprofessional of me, I apologise.

Now back to the mass debate.

Reaction score
Mini = birds motor
Trophy = one for the boys (are there any female members?)(appologies if there are)

Also the new mini isn't a mini, nothing like my first car, a mini mayfair of old.

hyb

Reaction score
The cooper S's can be quite nice, there was a wicked sounding black one at the bedford day

Reaction score
ducks butt said:
Mini = birds motor :shock:
Trophy = one for the boys (are there any female members?)(appologies if there are)

Also the new mini isn't a mini, nothing like my first car, a mini mayfair of old.

WHAT? Are you mental?? :shock: :shock: :shock: I have been posting all through this thread - who do you think trophychick is if not a girl?????

Both cars are quite girly imo.

yes, female 'members' (ahem) do exist, (although I appear to be the most 'active' on the forum)

In the great mini vs cooper debate I have to say that the trophy is much more exclusive (in numbers produced) and indeed i see several Copper S every day and am yet to meet a trophy while driving mine.
Therefore; Trophy = special, Cooper = common as muck.

nuf said. :wink: