Reaction score
Ok so there is only a paragraph on the Trophy in the new Evo magazine so probably not worth buying if you're not a regular reader, but they list 6 giant killing road cars which the Trophy tops with a closing comment of "It's our ultimate giant-killer"

It's a good day to be a Trophy owner!

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
Its always a great day to be a Trophy owner 8)

It sure is but since reading that I feel extra pride for my Trophy so I've just done an oil change to show it how much I care! :wink:

felix said:
What are the others?

6 - Caterham R500 Evo
5 - Subaru Impreza P1
4 - Brabus EV12
3 - Ultima GTR640
2 - Nissan GT-R
1 - The legend that is the Trophy

Reaction score
Rock on!

Looking forward to finding the grey platic bag when I get home :)

Good to see you're still around OliS!

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Good to see you're still around OliS!

Yup kept the grim reaper at bay so far! :shock:

I don't really post anymore as I'm not really doing much with the Trophy these days, just the regular B road blast to break up the day to day grind which it copes very well with. Over 5 years and 50k miles I'm still more than happy with it, not planning on changing anytime soon. I still check the forum daily, always nice to see a familar user name from the old days pop up along with the enthusiastic new owners.

Whilst I'm feeling particularly eurphoric about the Trophy I'll mention that the piece in Evo reminds us that the Trophy finished 3rd in their 2005 Car of the year, beating the Gallardo, M3 CS, Cayman S and the Vantage V8. Some serious giant slaying indeed.

Reaction score
ed55j said:
What makes a car a 'giant killer' and why is the trophy the ultimate?

Im sure Evo has a letters section, i'd ask them as it's just their opinion A very good one i must point out but thier's none the less.

I remember when the Trophy was in all the magazines when it first came out. It did seem to cause a bit of a stir which may be part of the reason why one is sat on my drive now. Im sure there was a post way back at the start of this forum where somone scanned in all the articles then set up links to them.

Reaction score
I've got all the original magazine articles, just great to think that during the past 5-6 years they're still shouting about it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy380 said:
I've got all the original magazine articles, just great to think that during the past 5-6 years they're still shouting about it.
I get a lot of ''its french!'' comments rfrom mates. Always good to shut them up with opinions of people who know what they are talking about :p

Reaction score
^^^same here, oh its french crap! [-X

Theres an evo edition i think from early 2010 or late 2009 for top 100 drivers cars, Trophy came joint 7th with the Ferrari F50 :D

Reaction score
ed55j said:

On the right roads the Trophy has proved that it can live with much more expensive and better equipped machiney. They ran an article a while back where they pitted the Trophy against the BMW M6 in France and commented that although the M6 was far quicker on the straights, come braking and cornering the Trophy would return to being stuck the M6's rear bumper.

I guess they class is as the ultimate as for it's price (considerably less than the other cars in their list) it can humble or at least compete well with more expensive cars. In no way am I saying that the Trophy is faster or handles better than something like the Impreza P1, but the Trophy was roughly half the price of a P1 new and therefore it's giant killing credentials could be seen as being even greater than the P1's.

Reaction score
OliS said:
ed55j said:

On the right roads the Trophy has proved that it can live with much more expensive and better equipped machiney. They ran an article a while back where they pitted the Trophy against the BMW M6 in France and commented that although the M6 was far quicker on the straights, come braking and cornering the Trophy would return to being stuck the M6's rear bumper.

I guess they class is as the ultimate as for it's price (considerably less than the other cars in their list) it can humble or at least compete well with more expensive cars. In no way am I saying that the Trophy is faster or handles better than something like the Impreza P1, but the Trophy was roughly half the price of a P1 new and therefore it's giant killing credentials could be seen as being even greater than the P1's.

I've got that mag! Well put, you're right. It comes down to the fact that there isn't anything else so good out of the box for the same price. I think I remember Clarkson saying "You simply can't go faster for cheaper!".

Reaction score
I must have almost every evo/autocar clio trophy features as a very good friend of mine has been a subscriber for well over 15 years and very kindly gave me all of the features.....if i get some time i shall try and link them up.

Reaction score
OliS said:
ed55j said:

Good answer! When i purchased the Trophy i didnt really realise what a great car it is, i actually nearly had a type r the week before (was torn between the two) Would love to see some of the old articles from when it first came out.