G

I can see me getting one of these in the next few months, so I'm going to give one a go tomorrow at the local Renault dealer. I'm hoping it'll be the perfect car for me -

I love the way the Trophy handles, but I don't like the relative lack of power and torque.
I loved the way my Focus RS went in a straight line, but I didn't like the way it drove.

I'm therefore hoping that the Megane will be able to combine the Focus' pace with the Trophy's handling. I have high expectations for this car! :)

I'll report my findings tomorrow.

Reaction score
You certainly wouldn't be the first to take this step if you choose to do so. Have to say that I'm a fan of the R26 simply on appearance. Would love to have the opportunity to take one for a spin.

Reaction score
they definately have more power than the trophy, especially lower down in the rev range. not too sure which one has the best handling though as the trophy suspension is just awesome!

G

Well, I'm back after driving it, and I have to say the game has moved on.

Yes, the Clio has more handling finesse, but as a package it doesn't get close. The Megane's probably not a great deal faster in a straight line, but where you have to thrash the nuts of the Clio, it's much more effortless in the one with the bum. You really notice having an LSD, too. With a re-map I think it'll be just about perfect.

Very impressed with it!

Reaction score
David87 said:
Well, I'm back after driving it, and I have to say the game has moved on.

Yes, the Clio has more handling finesse, but as a package it doesn't get close. The Megane's probably not a great deal faster in a straight line, but where you have to thrash the nuts of the Clio, it's much more effortless in the one with the bum. You really notice having an LSD, too. With a re-map I think it'll be just about perfect.

Very impressed with it!

Having now owned both a Trophy and an R26, I have come to realise that it's the little things on the Trophy that make it so special. Without a doubt, the R26 is quicker (especially when mapped) in every situation, but that doesn't make it better. I have been mightily impressed with the R26 and you are absolutely right, that in many respects it has moved the game on. However in many others it has gone in the wrong direction. It's a nicer place to be, it's far more practical and it's noticable quicker, it's definitely got character and it's easily the best larger hot hatch on the market.

However . . . .

It doesn't give you the magical grin factor that the trophy does. I still can't put my finger on what it is, but the Trophy is just the perfect package (bar maybe another 20 bhp).

I think that I will be purchasing another one next year to keep the TVR company as my wife (despite almost killing me when I bought the Trophy 'where's all the toys?') is still in love with them too. She said (and freely admits that she is a long way from being a great driver) that she has never felt more at home in a car than in the trophy.

Both wonderful cars, but the Trophy has that 'can't put your finger on it' ability to make you yearn to drive it.

Just my tuppence worth. The R26 is still for sale by the way!!!

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Having now owned both a Trophy and an R26, I have come to realise that it's the little things on the Trophy that make it so special. Without a doubt, the R26 is quicker (especially when mapped) in every situation, but that doesn't make it better. I have been mightily impressed with the R26 and you are absolutely right, that in many respects it has moved the game on. However in many others it has gone in the wrong direction. It's a nicer place to be, it's far more practical and it's noticable quicker, it's definitely got character and it's easily the best larger hot hatch on the market.

However . . . .

It doesn't give you the magical grin factor that the trophy does. I still can't put my finger on what it is, but the Trophy is just the perfect package (bar maybe another 20 bhp).

I think that I will be purchasing another one next year to keep the TVR company as my wife (despite almost killing me when I bought the Trophy 'where's all the toys?') is still in love with them too. She said (and freely admits that she is a long way from being a great driver) that she has never felt more at home in a car than in the trophy.

Both wonderful cars, but the Trophy has that 'can't put your finger on it' ability to make you yearn to drive it.

It may be a broad sweeping generalization, but would you say that to have the same amount of fun you can have with a Trophy on a B road you really need to take the R26 to the track? As the pace and grip of the R26 make it difficult to really wring it out on public roads?

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
chiefbadger said:

However . . . .

It may be a broad sweeping generalization, but would you say that to have the same amount of fun you can have with a Trophy on a B road you really need to take the R26 to the track? As the pace and grip of the R26 make it difficult to really wring it out on public roads?

You're on the right track (scuse the pun). You can have great fun in the R26, but very rarely at legal speeds. The great thing about the trophy is how much fun you could have without breaking the speed limit (much!) The R26 is a fantastic way of covering ground, and will go from A to B quicker than a Trophy. You just won't be smiling quite as much when you get there!

Reaction score
My opinion too remap and it will be well sorted.

Dave there is an article in Max Power this month about the Ring with pics and article from when we where there. Interview with those two nutters in the V6!

Reaction score
Hey it's getting better! Still the odd slammed car on massive bling alloys but the articles are a bit better. For instance this month they have the Ring, 350z owners club and good article on new skyline!

They should have changed magazine's name in order to totally rebrand.

Reaction score
Hmmm.. I remember seeing one on the shelf somewhere and the packaging said something about being 'all new'.. Is it any better written than it used to be?

Reaction score
A bit! Some of the articles are good, for instance they do a review every month on reasonably priced performance cars with tips on how to buy, common faults and as per se how to make it look terrible! This month ist the 90s M3 and it's pretty informative.

However, some of the articles are pretty poor like the one on the Ring when me and Dave where there. I could have wrote a better piece and I think my pics are better to!!

I think at the minute there is a gap in the market for a magazine for normal people. People who want to read about modifications but not ott. Like an EVO bit instead of taking three supercars to the best European roads in the world take real ones. Also having an emphasis on the person buying second hand too.

Reaction score
It sounds like they've tried to change a little but have a long way to go if they wish to lose their chav connections..

I can see where you're coming from with the comments about EVO. I think that they have been successful a number of times in delivering articles that satisfy "Joe Average" such as their £20k / £10k wonders type articles. They also still cater for hot hatch and lower end performance saloon buyers but admittedly those features do seem to take a back seat to the supercar/super tourer type articles at the moment. I still love reading it though, in my opinion, there simply isn't another magazine that combines great written word, with some seriously good photography, great cars and such passion... Sorry I've gone waaaaaaaaaay off topic now!!

G

Thanks for the heads up with the article in Max Power. I'll have to take a look, but I'll get a bag to put over my head for when I buy it! And maybe a hoodie too. :p

I have a confession...

I've ordered a white R26 for March 1st. 8-[

G

Private sale. Wish I could keep it, but Camelot would need to help if I were to do that! :lol:

Reaction score
A wise choice indeed!

So will you join us for a blast on the Southern meet before you defect to the dark side? :wink:

Reaction score
You jammy git!!!

Excellent cant wait to hear a review and see some pics aint seen a white one yet.

Have you spec'd it with LUX pack?